Get in touch with the dev team

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask but as it mentions support I thought to give it a go.

I’m the developer of RoadCaptain and would like to discuss whether there are any possibilities to have a supported authorisation flow.

Is there anyone on the Zwift side who could help me with this?

@James_Zwift or @shooj might be able to forward your request or help get you in contact with the devs.

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

RoadCaptain does not work on iPad or iPhone, only on a “full” macOS machine such as an MacBook or Mac mini.

1 Like

Ah rats, thanks anyway!

EDIT: Looks like my original post has been hidden for daring to suggest that Zwift should have implemented this feature themselves :rofl:

2 Likes

So the reason it’s not supported currently is that I don’t have the Apple hardware to test with and that I’m not sure you can run both Zwift and another app at the same time (AFAIK that’s not possible)

That’s an example of a post that should not be hidden. It’s not remotely salty enough. Personally I try to avoid slamming the company, but that’s me - I don’t object to people expressing how they feel dejected about the support they’re getting. I can always mute people who are relentlessly negative and don’t offer anything useful. You’re not in that category.

3 Likes

Ah fair enough on both grounds - as I say it sounds like an excellent product so I’m just gutted I can’t run it on my ipad! I can see this being really popular with Zwift ignoring requests for this functionality in-game for so long, so best of luck to you and kudos on such a useful tool :slight_smile:

Could you drop me an email on info@roadcaptain.nl to share how you’re currently running your setup?

As to having this functionality in Zwift itself, it’s all about priorities. From having built RoadCaptain (and lots and lots of other software) I can tell you it’s not always easy to balance that. Fortunately with RoadCaptain I’m in control and can do as I please (well, sort of) as it’s not a commercial product. For Zwift that’s different.

Anyway, they have my resume already so who knows :wink:

1 Like

Thank you Paul, appreciated. Yes, I think we should be entitled to express our disappointment in Zwift levels of customer service. A responsible company would take care of their customers, and would aim to redress shortfalls in customer service experience. Simply silencing your critics is something I associated with Putin’s Russia and Latin American dictatorships.

My post also breaks none of Zwift’s community Guidelines that they recently posted.

So to restate it, my experience of Zwift customer support has been terrible. I would not characterise them as being a customer-focused company sadly and hope that this eventually changes.

1 Like

You’re not helping yourself by doing the work for them, replying to all these people with issues. I appreciate it’s the right thing to do for the community - believe me I’ve been there myself - but they’re laughing at us doing all this support work for nothing on their behalf. It’s a pisstake.

This isn’t a criticism of you in any way, but as long as there is there is a mass of paying customers accepting of this situation, things will never change.

3 Likes

Have no issue with that wording, but saying Zwift are hopeless is not helpful to anyone.

4 Likes

I agree, but many similar or worse comments aren’t hidden. When I post something about a problem, I’m thinking about (1) the information needed to fix the problem, and (2) how to motivate people to act on it. Imagine if I successfully convinced staff that the company is “hopeless” - nothing is more demotivating than that. More likely, staff looking at those comments will tune it out as “haters gonna hate” and stop listening. Those outcomes don’t help me. Having worked in many tech companies, I assume most staff do care about bugs and usability problems. I often disagree with the company’s priorities (I’d prefer more attention to bugs and less new stuff) but the staff engaged on the forum have limited influence over that and shouldn’t be raked over the coals when things don’t go my way.

FWIW I flagged the comment, I didn’t delete it. The mods team can decide whether or not they want to reinstate it.

This is kinda my self appointed role (amongst others). Whilst I haven’t been as active on here due to how busy our winter is), I always flag issues that look concerning or something I feel that we should do something about.

I think we’ve probably derailed this thread enough for one day.

@DavidP is probably best placed to either help or know where to direct you.

1 Like

I assume what you want is to allow users to login to your app using their Zwift credentials. Or did I misunderstood?

That’s correct. Currently this uses the same login flow as the Zwift Launcher but the trouble is that I need to host a webview control inside the app which intercepts the redirect to http://zwift/ which happens when you click the start ride button after logging in.

What I’d like to do is use the default browser of the user so that they can take advantage of their password manager etc and this also removes a ton of complexity from RoadCaptain (I have to add a webview per platform which is a bit of a pain).

The idea I had is to supply a redirect url to local host on a specific port where road captain can listen for the authorization code.

I’ve tried some experiments with supplying a different redirect url in the initial authorization url but the launcher page will always redirect to http://Zwift/

Ideally it would be amazing if there is a way to have a unique client id to use for RoadCaptain when doing the authorisation (also to limit the scopes of the default tokens!) and have the redirect at the end happen to the redirect url supplied instead of http://Zwift/

1 Like

I can definitely appreciate your take on it Dave, but I guess I don’t believe that I’m enabling Zwift support to not engage by helping - if anything I’d hope that trying to help solve some of the simple queries frees up zwift support to tackle the more intransigent issues. Maybe I’m fooling myself!

I guess what rankles most James is that out of everything that I’ve posted, the one post you “actioned” was one that you took objection to, whilst you and your support colleagues have so far failed to action (or even acknowledge) any of the following bugs that I have logged so far (list below). I don’t know if this is “your” job, or David’s, or Shooj’s - but as a customer I shouldn’t really have to care. I’ve logged the issues, and they’re getting ignored. Perhaps you could steer the appropriate one of your colleagues to the list below, all of which are evidenced with screenshots, many of which have reports from multiple users, and many of which myself and others have even done some investigative work on to try and figure out the cause or common factors, to save you time.

As Dave says, I’m annoyed at the lack of support, but I’m actively involved in this community and trying to help and often try and resolve other people’s problems for them. I don’t “hate” Zwift, I love it, and that’s why I want to see it improved. So it pains me that I take the time to log issues, only to have them met with - as far as I can tell - complete indifference from Zwift. It would be great to see acknowledgement and action on the below, with them being moved to known issues, assigned a ticket with development, and a timescale quoted for fix:

This my not be your job but it should be someones:

6 Likes

They’re taking your time, effort and enthusiasm for granted and doing literally nothing about the embarrassing fact that it’s required in the first place. As I’ve said before, your efforts are admirable but unfortunately you’re not the first to try and make a difference, and you won’t be the last. It’s crap because it feels wrong to just ignore fellow subscribers who need help when you know the answer, or have a good suggestion. But the fact is the company demonstrably relies on this state of affairs. The actual support team actively direct people to this forum (or know less about the game than the userbase), and you can count on one hand the number of Zwift employees that actually engage here.

As you, I don’t ‘hate’ Zwift at all. I use it a ton, enjoy using it, promote it a lot and obviously I could stop my subscription at any point. I don’t want to. But it’s getting pretty bloody tiresome that the company exists as some sort of charity, reliant on volunteers.

3 Likes

If a user is fruatrated enough but restrained enough to write something as mild as “Zwift are hopeless”, and that is seen as somehow as offensive/unhelpful enough to be hidden from view, then I despair at this forum, I really do.

Are Zwift really so thin-skinned? Expecting users to suck up the continuous introduction of ridiculous bugs into the game, and the non-fixing of so many long-standing issues, but being outraged by being labelled as “totally hopeless”?

Really?

2 Likes

Speaking of getting in touch with the dev team, how about getting someone to add a timezone ( => DST schedule) field to events (and associated setup UIs) by the end of this year? Probably less than a day of dev work for what must be a ridiculous amount of manual reconfiguration and pestering plus abundant user confusion twice per year.

1 Like