The end of the road for my iPad?

Since the turn of the year I’ve been having problems running Zwift on my 2012 iPad Air. - I know that this is pretty much at the lower end of the supported devices, but I think in recent weeks, it’s pretty much dropped off the bottom of it.

First issues occurred during Tour de Zwift a few months ago - the event I was doing had 3000+ participants and the stuttering at the start of the event caused by the masses jockeying for position caused my iPad to crash - and on this occasion, I wasn’t able to rejoin the event. I assumed that the number of participants was the problem here, I’d never seen a field that large on Zwift before.

Skip forward a month or two, and it happens again, this time the field was approx 600 in size, and fortunately I was able to rejoin, but the crash didn’t occur until around 5 minutes into race, and after rejoining there was an issue with my race position - it didn’t update if I overtook anyone.

Over the last few weeks the issue has gotten worse - I’ve been unable to do Tour of Watopia stage 3 due to all the riders being together, and on Stage 4 the iPad crashed with 5km to go - to make matters worse I was on for new FTP which I wasn’t given credit for either.

Riding on my own is no better - at the weekend I decided to do the new Uber Pretzel, only to be booted out after 83km - I was able to rejoin and pick up where I’d left off - but not on the Uber Pretzel route - Zwift was just selecting random sections of track.

So, while I realise that it is about time I upgraded my iPad (it’s the wife that I need to convince with that one!), the new Zwift features would seem to be putting a bit too much stress on the hardware but I’m not sure why that would be. The increase in issues I’ve been having seem to have occurred since the update that allowed Watopia plus one other course to be ridden.

Are you sure it’s an iPad Air? I ask because if I remember correctly, those weren’t released until late 2013. In any case, here is a list of supported devices as of Dec 2018. If you are indeed running an iPad Air, then I recommend you contact support.

I double checked last night - It’s definitely an iPad Air so my memory of the year ~I bought it must be a little off!

Had the same problem twice last night - started ToW Stage 4 and was immediately booted as soon as I crossed the start line, and there was no way I was getting back in after that.

So I went to do an FTP test - and I got kicked again during the cooldown at the end, although checking my stats afterwards seem to record I got kicked midway through the 20 minute test. When I was given the option to resume my activity it put me right at the very start of the test too…

https://forums.zwift.com/t/crashes-in-watopia-after-desert-update/67775?u=lin_alan

Had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. Retrospectively, I believe it always crashes in watopia, not other worlds. I sent my log files to support (as recommended) and they concur that it is an issue. Apparently they are working on a patch that should be available soon. All that being said, I’m lead to believe that my iOS device is fine (and so is yours) and it’s more of an issue with Zwift programming; probably not crashing with any other programs, right? Anyway, I hope the patch comes available soon as it is inconvenient…virtual crashes suck, but nothing like the real thing!

Thanks for the info - now that you’ve mentioned it, I think I’ve only had the problem on Watopia so that will help to nail the bug down.

Thankful that my iPad might last a while longer but it means that ToW is no go for me seeing as I’ve only been able to complete 2 stages so far.

Thanks Lin - I replied to Scott’s message that it does only seem to be Watopia that’s causing me issues.

Just got kicked off TOW stage 5 constantly and gave up; same thing happened on stage 4; seems to be a real issue at the start of the races, although I got “finding riders” and then nothing happened. Cannot rejoin race- very new to Zwift and not impressed at all. Thought it was my iPad that was problem- now seems its watopia as do not get kicked off any other training programmes

Hi @Mark_Shuttleworth:

These big events take a lot of processing power, especially at the start of the event. a small tip get into the start pen early so that you start in front.

got the same issue on Ipad Air during the stage 1,2 & 5. it seems that the 2G memory on Ipad air cannot support the big messy scene at the start or the later riding environment. Huge contents to be loaded in TOW scenes.
sent a message to Zwift and waiting for the solution on the old Ipad. hope that I don’t need to spend money to get a new one. now is riding with laptop.

Paul, I wouldn’t give up so fast! Hey, its just a ride, a virtual ride at that; worst thing that can happen is the program crashes again and you get a shower beer earlier. Also, we are paying the $15 bucks for the WHOLE zwift package to work, right??..just sayin’. The people at zwift have been extremely supportive and noting additional fails [ie. sending your log files to them] can only help them fix the problem faster. I’m doing stage 5 this evening- I’ll let you know how it goes.
scott

Gerrie- did not work- Stage 5- number 34 or so in pen, kicked off at start and 20 mins later still could not get back in.

O no, sorry to hear that.

you may be affected by the current issue "Some Zwifters are reporting game crashes on certain iOS devices (iPhone 6, iPod Touch, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2) " see the post above.

There is a new update out so you could see if that resolves your issues.

1 Like

Thanks for advise, but was already using the app with todays update.

Excellent response from Zwift Support- Self explanatory

We appreciate you letting us know that Zwift is crashing on your iOS device.

I’m sorry to say that there’s a known issue with older iOS devices closing Zwift on launch​. Reported devices include:

• iPhone 5S
  • iPhone 6
  • iPad Mini 2
  • iPad Air
  • iPhone 7+
  • iPad Air 2

While there isn’t a solid workaround for this issue as of yet, the fix will come from our end, and all you should have to do is keep your Zwift app up to date. If you have a newer iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, or a computer (PC or Mac) that exceeds the minimum requirements for Zwift​​, you might try using that instead until we can deploy a fix for this issue.

I definitely understand if there’s any confusion on this matter, and your iPad Air is definitely still supported for use with Zwift, but this particular game bug seems to be impacting the older model iOS devices at this time.

I hope this information helps shed some light on your situation, and you’re more than welcome to reach back out if you have additional questions.

Your stage has been credited on our end, but we’re working on getting this updated on your progress bar. Please note that it may take us a little while to sort this out, but we’ll get that updated as soon as possible!

Thank you for your patience and understanding while we get this taken care of.

Ride On!

Do you have any option to ride the trainer in front of a television? If so, you might want to give Apple TV 4K a shot. Seems to work well, and not nearly as pricey as a new iPad (or computer). Plus, you can just set it up and leave it connected to the TV, and also get to use the other available apps.

1 Like

Well, personally, I’d love Zwift to be made available on Xbox One / PS4 :grin:

1 Like

ATV will not work with HRM, SMart, trainer and cadence sensor all on BT right? I am considering the new iPad as I have an iPad Air with same issues as above. Now I noticed I don’t get any chat either… I wonder if the new iPad with the A10 chip is worth looking into ( wonder how long it will last before needing an upgrade…

AppleTV works fine. However, you are limited to 2 Bluetooth connections. Anything more and you will need to use the Zwift Companion app.