Screenshot upload preferences ignored [November 2022]

Bug observed: The new update to how screenshots are generated overrides user settings. Despite having photo uploads set to only mine, my save prompt generated 3 screenshots that I did not trigger. Moreover, i could only ignore 2 out of 3 photos, I was forced to upload at least one.

I can’t imagine this is intentional, therefore raising the issue.

5 Likes

I’m having the same bug. Checked my settings and they’re “user photos only,” but photos were uploaded to Strava even though I didn’t take and screenshots.

@Sarah_LaRocque and @_Jordan_P_ZSUNR
Are these screenshots being taken at random times during your session or are they notable moments like when you set a PR, earn a route badge, level up, etc?

Notable moments. Still though, they should NOT be posting.

2 Likes

2.5 years ago… :frowning:

3 Likes

First photo was a “PR” on a sprint I hadn’t done before, the second was random, and the third was badge completion.

Thanks for the additional context. I’ve spit your reports into a dedicated thread. Looks like our notable moments code was bypassing user’s preferences for screenshot upload. We’ll get that fixed.

6 Likes

I normally run Zwift on my Mac desktop, but today I decided to use my iPad for the first time.

I was surprised that the “Image uploading” setting was completely missing in the dialog. I would think that even iPad users would want to have the ability to set it to “Always”, “Only My Shots” or “Never”.

Glad to see that others are having this issue. Hopefully it’s addressed soon, as it’s annoying to have to go into Strava and manually delete the uploaded screenshot after rides.

Same subject; clean copies of screenshots are at the wrong aspect ratio if taken on an ultrawide. You get the full FoV, but it’s squashed into fewer horizontal pixels. The regular shots are fine.

And if you toggle off the HUD to upload the clean version to your feed, it comes out squashed despite being fine on the save preview. Poor.

3 Likes

In Strava go to settings->partner integrations and disable Zwift.

Your rides and all the related data (power, hr, elevation, etc.) and the ride map will still show in Strava but it will stop Zwift from posting extra content, including screenshots.

2 Likes

Sort of defeats the purpose. The settings should work properly. If I take a screen shot, I want it uploaded. If I don’t, then nothing should upload. It’s worked that way for years, until an unvetted feature change was introduced.

3 Likes

Two months.

2 Likes

I am frustrated with this nearly every day! Honestly, I don’t know how Zwift tolerates these types of errors and essentially shrugs them off. The confluence of all of these “small” Zwift snafus is getting old. From my perspective, Zwift has gone all in on Racing and everything else to them is window dressing, and I think that is a shame. Allowing the core product to be diminished by poor quality control should never be tolerated. I’ve lost count of all of the empty promises and false hope that have been generated around features and bug fixes.

I am frequently reticent even to say anything about these things anymore, lest those criticisms are met with hand-waving “if you don’t like it, go find another platform” comments. And I am not so short-sighted that I don’t acknowledge that we inherently have a negativity bias. However, I can’t remember the last time that Zwift blew me away with something or even modestly over-delivered on its promises. Big updates are almost always fraught with bugs or unintended consequences. Features are often half-implemented and abandoned indefinitely, e.g., steering. Or lead times to simple execution are inexcusably long.

7 years on this platform, and while the platform has definitely evolved substantially, I have not seen the growth I would like to see, especially considering the company’s valuation. This should have been a simple fix. Sitting on it for months is just bad business.

4 Likes

When will this be fixed?

1 Like

Hi folks, thank you for your patience with this issue. Our teams are working on it and are planning to roll out a fix in an upcoming release. I’ll share more specifics once we have them.

1 Like

So the screenshots offered for potential upload will be the same (automatic+manual) with all options and the difference will be which ones will be selected by default? Personally fine with that (not really interested enough in this to bother to find out what the different options currently do in reality), as long as the option to upload zero screenshots is available no matter what this option is set to.

2 Likes

Yep, that is correct!

2 Likes

I have Image Uploading set to Only My Shots, but for months Zwift is still auto taking images. It would be great to both have the setting fixed, and to be able to deselect all images and not upload any, even if there is just one.

1 Like