Screenshot upload preferences ignored [November 2022]

After my report was merged into this thread I saw this and now I have my setting on ‘Never’ and while I’m still able to take screenshots, this results in no images being shown available for upload, not just that none are selected on the final save screen. The shots still exist and I can probably go toggle the setting if I actually do want to add any but that’s a pretty clunky work around.
Edit: The auto-shots are still being captured also!

1 Like

Hi folks, we rolled out a fix for this issue in Zwift game version 1.33.5 which was released for all platforms on March 15, 2023. Now, screenshots (both photos and videos) will properly respect your “Image Uploading” setting (and we’ll be renaming that setting to be clearer that it works for both photos and videos in an upcoming update).

Thank you all very much for your patience.

Does this mean that no screenshots will be uploaded at the end of rides anymore if you have set it so?

I briefly noticed at the end of a ride last night that there didn’t seem to be the usual selection of screenshots at the end of the ride. Unfortunately I wasn’t really paying attention and had already clicked through that screen so I couldn’t inspect it more closely. I only had a second or two to notice what had changed.

Also, are the screenshots still taken during the ride but just not shown at the end of the ride? So I will still have to clear out the Zwift application folder on iOS ocassionally to prevent the build up of screenshots?

EDIT: It might be uploading at least one, I see on my activity feed on the zwift website that my ride last night has one screenshot.

Correct. If you have it set to “Never”, you won’t see the screenshots you manually captured as available for upload, nor automatically-captured screenshots during Notable Moments. If you have it set to “Just My Shots”, you will just see the screenshots that you manually captured, but no Notable Moments.

Right. If you manually capture screenshots, or if you have a Notable Moment, those files are stored locally. For Video Screenshots, you can disable the feature entirely in Settings which will result in it saving no files locally as well.

1 Like

So, I would like to have the option of choosing from Notable Moments and my own screenshots and only upload images I have manually chosen. Is this currently possible, or is having to unselect everything you don’t want to upload the only thing on offer?

To achieve this, you would have to set your Image Uploading setting to “Always” (so that it would capture and queue up content from both your Notable Moments as well as your manual screenshots), and then deselect any content that you didn’t want to upload in the End Ride screen.

Yes, thanks, I figured out as much on my own. It does still not seem to be possible to select zero images for upload if you select “Always”. Anyway, I would prefer to have an option with the automatic screenshots taken but unselected, and my own screenshots either selected or unselected by default.

Thanks for that feedback! We are still looking at further ways to improve the overall user experience of the End Ride/Run screen, including screenshots, so we’ll keep working on this!

1 Like

This is still an issue for me on version 1.34. Image uploads are set to never, but I still get the random images from Zwift. Am I missing something?

I’ve made the screenshot above manually, and this one is as stored to my local phone library.

But when I ended the ride and wanted to upload the picture. Zwift removed the power overlay and only uploaded the picture of the road

So made the top one, when uploading Zwift alternated the picture to the bottom one.

I have noticed my Zwift pics folder filling up on my hard drive even though I have selected only my photos…have just set it to never and will see if auto pics are still saved. They don’t queue up at end-of-ride, but still have about 8 screenshots saved per ride.

@steinardo Could you share a bit more on what you’re observing? With Image Upload set to never, your images will not be uploaded to Zwift or Strava at the end of your activity, but they will still be saved locally.

@M_Murphy_Herd The Image Uploading setting only controls whether your screenshots are uploaded to Zwift or Strava at the end of your activity, but they are still saved locally to your hard drive. We don’t currently have a setting to disable photo screenshots completely (which you can do with video screenshots), so I’ll add this to our list and see what we can do for a future release.

1 Like

@R_onald On the “End Ride” screen, each photo screenshot thumbnail has a little icon in the top right corner which indicates whether the HUD is displayed in the screenshot or not (see image below with the red arrow). The icon will be green if the HUD is enabled, or gray if it is disabled. If you try again, could you please check the state of this icon?

Hei Evan, yes it is the local saving that is the issue. The annoyance is that it messes up the photostream in Onedrive, which includes every subfolder. As far as I can understand this is a new behaviour as turning off image upload also stopped local saving before.

Thanks for following up.

Dear Evan,

Thank you for your reply. Currently I’m not able to check within the next week.

But my first picture was showed in the end ride screen. So I selected that picture. All looked normal. But as soon as I save, the overlay minimized/vanished (like a cheap ppt-effect) and the second picture was saved. This was my avatar under the power-overlay from the first picture.

Long pause between rides….
HUD icon was grayed out

I’m on an iPad, and I seem to understand that, due to a recent introduced bug, you can’t avoid screenshots to be downloaded to your photos library? Is that so?