Zwift App will not launch on Macbook [Oct 2021] [1.18.1] [SOLVED]

Hi everyone - we’re gathering some data and our team is working on reproducing the issue. We’ll provide an update here as we have it.

Tried it again an hour ago, still doesn’t work. However after pressing Let’s Go the second window opens as before but now advertising the new world and then vanishes. I no longer get the “If problem persists” message.

Hey all I am having the same issue, Zwift refuses to run, I have deleted and reloaded mutltiple times and it opens then as soon I press the lets go icon it shuts down. its really frustrating as I pay a monthly fee to use and cannot use it.

One of the common factors being reported in this thread is the installation of a macOS security patch that released last week.

For those of you who 1) run Time Machine backups on your laptops and 2) are familiar with the restore process - we’d like to ask you to try rolling back the OS to a state before the week of October 24. Note that you will lose any files you have created on that laptop since the update.

Would you try this workaround to see if this factor by itself is something we need to investigate more thoroughly?

If you don’t back up your laptop using Time Machine (or similar third party app), the workaround (assuming it’s proven to work) - is more complicated. This Apple Support page walks you through it.

1 Like

HI there, Thanks for providing the feedback of uninstalling the Security update, but I’m not willing to do that as that fix was to repair a very important vulnerability and by uninstalling that fix, I’m putting my machine at risk. I just had a look at the status page and there is no info that this issue is seen as an incident or issue. I will not be doing that work around and anyone that does should really not be too worried if they get get compromised and exploited. Please could you provide an ETA when your team thinks this will resolved.



Totally agree with you Muirice. Rolling back the security fix should not be offered as a viable solution. Zwift might find more “encouragement” and urgency in fixing the problem if people suspended their subscription as I have done. In the meantime, there are multiple platforms such as Rouvy, FulGaz and Trainer Road who are offering free trail subscription.

Any update on when this issue will be resolved, very frustrating not being able to access a service I have paid for.

I am using Macbook Pro Early 2013, running macOS Catalina 10.15.7

I too am a little disgruntled that Zwifts approach is for us to reverse a security update that is intended to protect us from a virus or ransomware or whatever. It appears that they are not responding, why do I continue to pay my monthly subscription I ask. C’mon Zwift get your thinking caps on a resolve it please!


noi siamo qui ad aspettare e pagare… che avete deciso?
we are here to wait and pay … what have you decided?

mac book pro 13 con ios catalina 10.15.7 e non voglio tornare indietro come suggerito dai signori di zwift

I agree and I suspended my Zwift account. I’ve been riding on Zwift since 2019, I hope Z. solve this issue.

1 Like

I think nearly a week is enough time for Zwift to give better feedback than they have. I’m going to suspend my account and give Rouvy a try.

1 Like

Dear shooj, I love Zwift and what it does, suggesting that I roll back a security patch today…hackers out there would love to hear that. I’m sorry, I will not do that. I’ve spent a ton of $ to get my pain cave and if a piece of Zwift software is now going to hold me up, I guess it’s either another computer, or another cycling application. I’ve been praising Zwift to all my friends an relatives, and now I don’t know what to think. I’m sure you have a valid reason to point the finger at Apple, and arbitrarily decided to no longer support those with slightly older computers…I get it…it’s a money and time thing. The fact is, this MacBook Pro I have works, and works well for me. I hope Zwift team that you reconsider, and fix this problem.
Your disappointed customer


The MacBook Pro and OS concerned are still supported by Apple. The Zwift approach to effectively withdraw compatibility of their software is an ‘interesting’ tech company approach which I haven’t come across elsewhere. It’ll be even more interesting to see how it plays out.

I would like a better approach. Clearly the Zwift Tech team can “sandbox” an older mac and roll back the security update as well as any firmware updates that accompanied it to do the testing required.
I can’t do that and isolate my machine from the internet] at the same time.

Hi All

the update from Apple has affected all Macbooks from 2012/2013 with the Intel HD Graphics 4000 card

all my Pioneer DJ Rekordbox softwear went down also but they have managed to get it working again after a few days by sending a new version of the software

so it can be done Zwift

the other option is to use your Phone or Ipad in the meantime if you have one available


A post was split to a new topic: How to get Zwift working on a PC?

I am going to give a couple more days, and if not resolved it will be bye bye zwift…


Yeah. I am pretty bummed. Every PC I’ve ever had has lasted 3 years max. This Mac on Catalina 10.15.7 (mid 2012) has lasted almost 10 years now. Doesn’t run as well as it used to, but I’m not buying another one.