Application won’t launch with OS Catalina

I have recently downloaded OS Catalina on my Mac. When launching Zwift the let’s go screen appears and I click on it. After this application doesn’t launch to start riding. I have tried reinstalling the app and still no luck. Does anyone have some suggestions keeping in mind that I have followed the most recents posts. Thanks.

Hi @Scott_L1
Welcome to Zwift Forums!

Catalina OS restricts permissions on certain folders. After downloading the new OS, the Zwift app should ask for permission to access the Documents folder. If this prompt was bypassed, the game can’t run properly, and will shut down or crash.

What might be helpful to eliminate variables is to do a fresh install of Zwift on the Mac. To do this, follow these steps below:

Please note : This process will delete all personal bests and any custom workouts, which are stored locally on your computer, unless you back them up first.

To back up your personal bests:

• Open the Finder.
  • Open your Documents folder.
  • Open your Zwift folder.
  • Copy the “cp” folder.
  • Paste it on your desktop, or other folder location other than your Zwift folder, so you can find it later.

To back up your custom workouts:

• Open the Finder.
  • Open your Documents folder.
  • Open your Zwift folder.
  • Copy the “Workouts” folder.
  • Paste it on your desktop, or other folder location other than your Zwift folder, so you can find it later.

​Once you have backed up any files you’d like to save, follow the instructions below to re-download and then freshly install the Zwift app. ​Doing so will clear away your old install and download the latest version of Zwift onto your Mac.
  • Open up Finder.
  • Select “Applications” from left side menu.
  • Locate Zwift app and drag to trash.
  • Download the installer from Zwift.com/download​​​ and run it.​​
  • Move your backed-up files back to the respective folders they were in before the re-install.

Please give this a shot and let us know if it worked.
2 Likes

So after many tries and complete removal of any/all Zwift folders on my Mac I emptied the trash and then began the process of downloading the app yet again. Viola…finally working! Thanks and now it’s time to get riding.

Woohoo @Scott_L1! Thanks for looping back to let us know this worked.

Ride On!

1 Like

Same thing has happened to me! Except I’ve done everything outlined in the below and still no joy. If you guys have any further workarounds, then let me know. I’m now locked out of zwift as of 4 days ago. Cheers! Al

I have done upgrade to catalina and following your instructions. Zwift look go well but everytime i need write password? And always open “terminal” As picture attacched. Is It normal ?

Any other suggestions? I followed your instructions but I still can’t open the app. Are there additional folders I need to delete - i.e. besides the Zwift app in my applications folder. Is there an ‘uninstall’ program that removes all additional files so I get a clean re-install?
** Problem solved after deleting ALL Zwift folders - requires deleting from Library Applications, Library Preferences, and Documents prior to downloading the new app.

1 Like

Hi there. I still cannot get past this. Were there further workarounds?

Nick

I have tried to do what @Scott_L1 did but still no luck. I run Bitdefender on my Mac. Might this be a problem?

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mac blank screen, colored screen and black blocks. READ THIS [October 2021] [1.18.0]