Tacx Neo Smart 2 cadence fluctuating widly or showing no signal

Welcome to the dark side of the Neo. My 2 works only with Ant+ and not Bluetooth.

I’m using an external magnet cadence sensor that Tacx send to me, free of charge, and it’s been working for cadence.

On of the reasons I when with the Neo originally was the balance peanut so I could get feedback and improve my stroke. I have a few hip issues.

I did see this balance peanut in a YouTube that Shane Miller, GP Lama had done but haven’t seen anything of this since.

I send Tacx a note periodically asking where they are with the fix, but since Garnin took over the crickets are starting to sing.

If you’re saying that it won’t pair via ANT+, then something is definitely wrong. Use the Tacx Utility app on your phone to verify your firmware is the latest. Do you have any red LED (e.g., ANT+) on the trainer? If all that fails, contact Tacx support.

What did Tacx support say about this? It’s one thing if you have a noisy environment and one works better than the other for various reasons. But, if Bluetooth does not work, then there is a problem.

Ant + is good for power and control. Cadence was bad on Ant and Bluetooth.

Tacx support says they’re working on a solution.

I use ant for all sensors. Bluetooth doesn’t work for me.

I’m still on version 0.0.18. I did try v 0.0.19 in beta but it was no better. I may try 0.27 but not sure there will be much difference.

I updated to latest Firmware before I started. The Neo 2 came with 0.0.18 and I loaded the latest version

I have the Red power light and the Blue bluetooth light. The Amber (middle) ANT+ light is not lit

I’m waiting for Tacx Support to reply …

I gave up in the end and Garmin agreed the cadence is not fixable. I want to try a Wahoo now as I don’t see so many problems on the forums but will have to do without road feel I believe.

I’ve just swapped my Neo 2 for the 2T.

On the 2 there were cadence issues which generally happened when I actually changed cadence significantly. The avatar would soon at around 150rpm but settle down after a second or two.
The 2T however is far far worse. Constantly spinning at 150 whilst holding a steady 80 with little or no change. Lasts 5 seconds before settling but 20 seconds later at it again.

It’s annoying and distracting.

That said the 2T is by far an improvement over the 2 in terms of ride quality.

Wow, :cry:

I just arrived home with my brand new 2T. I haven’t taken it out of the box yet. Hope to tomorrow or Saturday at the latest.

The issue with Cadence is a heartbreaker for sure. I had hopes that this was fixed. My particular issue is that I use a shorter crank from hip issues a few years ago.

My LBS is the most amazing in the world. MEC, or Mountain Equipment Coop. They have supported me on the Original Neo, the Neo 2 and I now have the 2T that I’ll setup soon.

I can’t believe that Tacx/Garmin hasn’t fixed the cadence issue across 3 revisions.

Further yet, I have a hard time believing that Shane and Ray (GPLama and DC Rainmaker) are not reporting the same issues as everyone else in this thread!

Don’t get me wrong gents, no fingers pointed.

I’ve had hip issues for years and need the peanut promised to keep working on balance. Taping a piece of metal to my crank is lot a solution!!!

Hopefully I get different results. It seems everyone does depending on setup.

Right now, I’m on Ant+. Primarily because BTLE didn’t work on the Neo 2 for me. (But is ok for thousands of others).

I’ve fixed this easily. I fitted a magnet which sits on the pedal axle on the non drive side and bingo no crazy cadence. It’s obviously similar to the spoon fix but much neater. I guess the neo just needs a slightly stronger signal to detect a pass.
As the magnet is closer than a bare crank it’s enough to pick up the signal.

1 Like

Why not just get a ANT+ cadence sensor and mount it on your bike?

Brilliant! Is the magnet mounted as close to the en of the crank as possible?

Hi Gerrie,

If one can get the internal cadence working on the Neo, it give L/R balance and power. Also gives the peanut in the Tacx app and supposed to display the peanut in future apps too.

This is invaluable to someone like me who is trying to even out soft tissue hip damage. You get on screen feedback to reflect your pedal stroke and correct as you go.

I personally can’t feel the Imbalance as I ride e.

1 Like

Wow I was not aware of this. It is a nice feature to have. Lets hope Tacx can fix this.

Yes I do hope they can. It has some very cool features. The fun ones are the road feel and the motor that kicks in when you’re going down a hill. They’re really fun to ride with.

Each manufacturer has their own set of issues. It’s a matter of finding the right toy with the right features and work out the bugs after that.

It’s sits on the pedal axle itself.

Thank you. I’ll hive this a shot in the morning.

Been a bit, but basically, I stopped using the Tacx Neo 2 cadence and started using a separate one. Until today. Still erratic on the most current firmware, connecting to Apple TV 4K. Back to the separate sensor.

I’ve been using a Tacx Neo 2T for a few years now, and the cadence works just fine when running Zwift on an Apple TV. I also use the Zwift Companion app to pair with all of my devices, and cadence works rock solid. Have also used my Quarq Dzero power meter to also monitor cadence, and it works well. In summary, cadence in all of these combinations always has worked for me.

Top diagram Dan.

I wish everybody experiencing connection issues could supply a diagram like that to assist diagnosing the issue.

1 Like

Maybe you can help me then - I have

• Macbook Air OS 11.6.1 Big Sur, with Zwift App version 1.0 created Oct 28,2020 downloaded yesterday
  • Tacx Neo 2T - recently bought, works on Tacx App but won’t connect to Zwift
  • Garmin Vector 3S pedals
  • Garmin dual HRM

None of the Garmin products are connecting via BT on the Zwift App on the pairing page.

I’ve tried the Lifewire ‘fix OS X BT problems 225996’ ie deleting “~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.bluetooth.plist file solution” with no success.

I’ve talked to Tacx - they can only confirm that it works with phone Tacx app.

I can’t find anything on the Zwift or Garmin forums with the same setup.
It’s my “first” Smart trainer and I’m about to ditch it - it’s a Garmin replacement for the first Tacx Neo 2T I bought that had a flaw in the through axle area so I couldn’t mount my bike.
I just want to Zwift !! :slight_smile:

PS Vector’s and HRM connect well with my Garmin 820

1 Like

The issue may be caused by having multiple devices trying to pair with your Tacx Trainer at the same time, because only the first one will pair, and all other devices won’t see it at all.

Make sure to turn OFF your bike computer, and turn OFF your phone, so that the only things turned ON are your Tacx Neo 2T trainer and the MacBook Air with Zwift. I typically start pedaling my Neo trainer so that it’s broadcasting on Bluetooth, and then the Zwift pairing screen should show the Trainer as a choice, and you can connect it for: Power, RPM and Control.