TACX FLOW SMART? POWER DROP? Try this fix

Does this sound familiar? Hi. I’m sharing this because it’s taking me months to look in the right place for the problem, and someone may find it helpful.

For quite a while now, I’ve been experiencing bluetooth/power/resistance dropouts mid races/workouts. It normally happens when climbing or in longer races mostly. Lots of other people seem to be posting the same issue, and the discussion has centred on ANT/Bluetooth overload/proximity etc. I’ve tried all of the potential fixes over the past 18 months, but still get intermittent issues. It can go numerous times in one session and I have to wait, re-pair and hope it doesn’t happen again… before having to ditch the session in frustration. Sound familiar?

This week, halfway up Alpe Du Zwift, it happened BUT after re-pairing several times, and spitting a few swear words, a thought occurred - could the turbo unit itself be overheating? (I know I was.) I trained a fan on it - and didn’t get the problem again. All this time thinking it was a more technical issue. Here’s a forum on Garmin (only just found) that speaks of the same issues… :+1:

https://forums.garmin.com/sports-fitness/indoor-training/f/tacx-flow/219757/flow-smart-overheating-at-low-rpm-and-high-power

Hi @_Dazzler

Thanks for posting this, I think it will be helpful to a lot of riders.

1 Like

Pleasure! @Gerrie_Delport

Thanks for posting the link Dazzler. I too have a tacx flow smart and have been moaning at zwift about multiple drop outs. I switched from using a laptop to just an iPad this week and it worked perfectly. However, the weather is cooler too, so that could well explain it.

OMG - THANK YOU. This started happening to me more and more on Alpe rides (and only Alpe rides), but didn’t used to. But my basement is getting warmer and warmer as the summer progresses. This makes perfect sense.