Route Progress in the HUD/Companion

It would be nice if the HUD or Companion could show me my progress on the specific route that I chose when I started my session.

I know the route is of a specific distance and a specific elevation - but while I’m riding, I’ve forgotten all of that. Knowing my progress helps me accomplish that short term goal - finishing that route.

I think this is a few things:

1. Start and Finish Markers for a Route
  2. Distance Remaining/Traveled on a Route
  3. Time Remaining/Traveled on a Route, based on Pace
  4. Personal Best on a specific Route
  5. Highlighting the originally selected Route on the Map

Beating your personal best on a segment is a bit short-lived, watching yourself do better on an entire route is much more satisfying. If I know I have x number of minutes for my workout I can plan that based on how long it takes me to do this route or that route - and the data is right there in Zwift.

@R_J I’m with you on this! Hoping something will be updated soon. It’s satisfying to see your progress through the route.

3 Likes

YES please!

2 Likes

The lack of this feature has been the most frustrating thing to me as a new Zwift user. I was sure I was missing something.

4 Likes

YES!! In general there appears to be zero feedback from the game regarding one’s progress / position on the chosen route. I can’t even tell which route I chose! (I’m old and forgetful).

We should be able to SEE the route highlighted on the map and see ourselves positioned on the route. We should be able to SEE the name of the route we selected. We should be prevented from ACCIDENTALLY leaving the route (easy to do if your playing with the drone camera).

As a bonus, we should be able to tell which riders around us are also riding the same route. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Adding a reward for completing all the routes would be nice too!

yes, that would be nice. it’s annoying to have chosen a route, then you get to what you think ought to be the end of it, and no popup appears… you wonder “when does this end? i want the badge! have i really been riding this route or not?” i had to use my phone to google zwiftinsider to see where it officially ended!

1 Like

Yes, Completely agree. I’m surprised and disappointed that these elements are not already included. They are so basic that I spent time looking to see how to turn them on, to finally find this post that now tells me that are not included. Shocking.

I would also take it 2 steps further

1. for routes that have been completed previously there should be an option to see a “ghost avatar” version of yourself (or a chase line) from the previous ride. one that you could pace or race against to know how you are doing comparatively speaking. this was mentioned in … the personal best bot - Personal Best Bot

2. as mention in ( Progress Bar for Routes) in addition to point #2 -Distance Remaining/Traveled on a Route - a progress bar would be ideal to show visually a) how far you have went and how far you need to go to complete the route.

3 Likes

I believe that one of the reasons Zwift has not implemented this is that once a rider picks a route and starts they are free to make turns at any intersection, thereby making the ‘route progress’ obsolete. (If I recall correctly, though, the Hilly Route on Watopia may have a progress bar, but possibly only because a jersey is awarded for the fastest lap time.) Zwift is, effectively, playing the ‘we don’t know where your ride will take you’ card. I would actually guess that if they did implement this there would be complaints from people doing multiple laps on a route that the ‘progress bar’ was resetting after each lap so they couldn’t tell how close to the end of the ride they are.

In general, though, it is an interesting idea: put a progress bar (which always appears for distance-based events) on the screen until such time as the rider makes a manual turn. Then the bar goes away and doesn’t return until the next ride.