Renpho AI Bike - no resistance in game [January 2022] [SOLVED]

I also had a firmware update today on AI Gym App. Didn’t get to try it for very long, but everthing seems to be working alright.

Edit: after trying it on free ride for 1 hour, something is off. The resistance is better but it is kind of low. An improvement, but not working as it used to be. I will contact Renpho tomorrow about it.

1 Like

I did give them my SN code a few days ago.

I imagine it’s because I had a previous beta update from them. This may be pre-release as I had to register my SN with them for a separate issue a few months back.

The good news is they’re obviously fixing these things quickly; I’ve been really impressed with Renpho’s customer service actually.

3 Likes

Encountered the same issue today. I’ve got until the end of the month before my returns period ends so need a quick fix before it gets sent back.

I’ll drop them a mail requesting a firmware update as nothing available in the app at the moment.

1 Like

Hi,
Your idea to put Renpho into nm mode works.
Ya it’s not full function, but at least i can ride untill there a is a fix.
Good luck all Renpho Riderzzzz

Thanks Alan

1 Like

ERG mode still works fine. If you want to freeride, use QZ app on an apple device to connect to Zwift. You will not find a better price for a bike with features that Renpho has anywhere, by far. I have been using Renpho for a year, and 100% happy with it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I will check out the QZ app. Agree the bike is the best out there value wise currently. I’ve just had a ride on Kinomap and very much enjoyed it

2 Likes

Also works with Rouvy.

2 Likes

Frustration with ROUVY is the inability to take heart rate readings from Apple Watch even with third party apps.

I use Wahoo Tickr Fit. Zero issues, works great with rouvy and zwift

2 Likes

Latest from renpho:

Dear Temi,

Glad to receive your response. Please note we have the further OTA upgrade for hardware within this week. We recommend you can sign in and follow the Al Gym app’s situation whether it shows up the firmware update over this period.
Tips:
1)Please note when the AI Gym app connects with your Renpho AI Smart Bike, you can click “Me”> and then click “Manage Devices”> “Firmware Upgrade” to upgrade your firmware.
2)You don’t need to resend the SN code since we have recorded your information in our form. Thanks for your cooperation.
We have pushed forward the second round to upgrade firmware since it’s hard to solve this kind of issue in one step.

Wish you can enjoy the Al Smart Bike all the time.

Best regards,
Justin
Customer Service Agent

3 Likes

Hello All,

I just purchased a new Renpho AI bike to use with Zwift and installed/connected for the first time on Jan 8, 2022. It looks like I’m having similar issues to others on this thread, but I wanted to post so (a) the folks at Zwift might see more people having issues and create a patch if it’s a problem with their platform or (b) someone can tell me if I’m missing something since I’m new to the Renpho AI bike and the Zwift platform.

I’m attempting to run the Zwift platform on iOS (iPhone 12 Pro Max) and am connecting via bluetooth. The bike connects and pairs with both the Renpho AI Gym app and Zwift app. I’m able to run the AI Gym app and all of their integrated features without problems. The issue is with the Zwift app.

Here’s what I’ve seen so far (organized by connection type):

1/ When pairing Renpho AI bike as Power Source, Cadence and Controllable

This was how I started, as I was hopeful that I could use all the features of the Zwift platform. When I paired in this configuration, I don’t get any feedback on the bike based on terrain and just seem to barely inch along. I try to adjust the virtual gear, but when I turn the dial I only feel the increased resistance for about 1 second and then it drops away and I go back to very little resistance.

What I’ve tried: I’ve tried unpairing devices in the Zwift app and re-pairing. I’ve tried restarting the Zwift app. I’ve tried disconnecting in the Renpho AI Gym app. I’ve tried fully unpairing from the AI Gym app. Nothing seems to help.

2/ When pairing Renpho AI bike as only Power Source and Cadence (not Controllable)

I read that some people couldn’t ever get the virtual shifting and controllable feedback to work, but they were content to just control resistance manually on the Renpho AI bike since Zwift seemed to get the accurate power input and this allowed them to travel through the Zwift world. This seemed like a decent compromise to at least get me started and I was hopeful this would work. Unfortunately, when pairing in this configuration, I can only intermittently get the Zwift platform to translate my power to a realistic speed in the game. My power seems to be reading accurately in Zwift, but the game doesn’t translate that into a realistic speed and it just stays at ~5mph so takes me 40mins to go 3miles. Ugh. I’m out of shape, but I’m not THAT out of shape. See the screenshot below with Power near 200 watts but speed is only at 5mph. (nevermind black box…I was watching a video with PIP when I grabbed the screenshot)

What I’ve tried: I’ve basically tried everything that I tried above for scenario 1…unpairing devices in the Zwift app and re-pairing. I’ve tried restarting the Zwift app. I’ve tried disconnecting in the Renpho AI Gym app. I’ve tried fully unpairing from the AI Gym app. Disconnecting and unpairing from the Renpho AI Gym app seemed to work at first, with my power increases correlating to speed increases in Zwift…but after a few minutes, I went back down to 5mph and no matter what I do I can’t get it to work again.

So, that’s where I’m at. Am I missing something? Does anyone have a magic fix? Or do I just need to start praying that this is somehow handled in a future Zwift update?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

– L

1 Like

Zwift just released an update but there is no fix there. I guess its up to renpho to release their firmware this week as promised.

There’s more to the fix than today’s v1.21.0 game client release. There’s another component that needs to be enabled on the server side, and that’s not pushed live yet.

You folks are very much top of mind. We’ll update with more info as soon as we can.

7 Likes

Renpho just released latest firmware this morning. I had a very short ride and it looks good so far.

No Renpho update here.

Same here…got the new firmware, tried it out and it appears to be working fine - interesting that the firmware notes said that it’s to help improve experience with Zwift 1.20 and just yesterday, Zwift pushed out 1.21 - with tech it’s always a moving target I guess.

Hey, I’m checking AI Gym App for firmware upgrade. Is this where it should be found?

1)Please note when the AI Gym app connects with your Renpho AI Smart Bike, you can click “Me”> and then click “Manage Devices”> “Firmware Upgrade” to upgrade your firmware.

1 Like

Yes…in the app, select Me, then under manage devices…you should see your bike (make sure it’s connected) and when you select your bike, you should see something about the firmware update - that is if it’s been pushed to your bike which as I understand it is if you’ve communicated your SN to Renpho. Happy to be corrected on the last point.