New Zwift Hub - no power, cadence, speed data

Mine wasn’t an issue with permissions. At first it was connecting but it had no signal. Then it connected fully, but the watts and speed weren’t registering.

I was then able to get it working by restarting bluetooth on my mackbook pro and iphone, connecting the hub to the companion app, and then starting zwift (with no heart rate monitor connected). It then started working and I connected the heart rate monitor.

1 Like

I’ve encountered this on a Samsung S22 Ultra this morning. Good connection, but no readings, etc. I also reached out to support, no response. Tried with MacBook Pro, direct bluetooth connection - still same issue. Tried restarting / restarting bluetooth / starting w no activity on hub, starting while applying pedal force while connecting, etc. still registers 0W / 0 rpm / speed. Strong signal - Not able to test controllability… Frustrating, but will try more tonight.

1 Like

Seems like this might be a bit of a widespread issue. Hopefully it can be fixed with a firmware update or it cause zwift a major headache (and cost them a lot of money)

2 Likes

Not following you on connecting to the companion app first, then starting Zwift. When we connect the hub in companion first, the Zwift app does not locate the trainer and the companion app then says the trainer is unreachable. Isn’t it only able to pair with one or the other, not both?

I made it a point to not have the zwift app (which runs on my macbook pro) open until I had first started the companion app and the hub was connected to it. I would then start the zwift app and it would automatically find the hub.

That said, I initially also ran into the issue you describe, where the companion app would connect to the trainer but then it would say the trainer is unreachable. I have not used the trainer since yesterday, when I was finally able to get it to work.

I really hope when I do my next ride I don’t run into a problem again. If I do, and I am able to troubleshoot it, I will be sure to record what steps I take to get it working (assuming I’m able to).

1 Like

Just out of interest - for those with the issue - did you use a Samsung device to update the firmware from 3.1 to current version?

I’m looking for some commonality here and seeing @NMSwedeInTx mention the S22 Ultra got me thinking as I was using a Note10+ 5G.

@KevSp nope we used iPhone. Not sure which model, but it’s the newest release. Girlfriend is the Apple product early adopter and instant upgrader of firmware. I am the Windows laggard that only updates things if they don’t work anymore lol

1 Like

@KevSp my girlfriend got a response this morning from Customer Support and they asked if she wanted to return it for a new unit or return for a refund. She responded right away about getting a new unit but they haven’t responded yet. Would rather get this working if possible rather than dealing with a return, so watching this thread and hoping someone figures out a solution

I will try tonight and update this thread. Obviously won’t be able to assist if my hub is still working correctly, though.

I’m pretty certain that if the issue presents itself I can get it to work again.

2 Likes

Oh - just checked my email and two have arrived:

First one - Zwift Support

“… bring that unit back …” - nope, what they have provided is a DPD return label and I have to get it to a DPD Returns shop myself - that is the 15Kg 60 x 60 x30cm box to a little newsagents or petrol station collection point.

Couple of assumptions here:

• I still have the box (which I have thankfully) and
  • I can physically get the unit to the dropoff point

The second email from Zwift is for a FOC order marked as warranty (edit: apologies, I had put replacement) with no delivery date - which I now have to chase to see if it is from retained stock or I’m in the queue with everyone else.

Really is appalling service and if I am in the queue then I’ll take the refund and get @S_A_Cestria_CC 's suggestion of the Saris H3 (which I can have delivered for free on Monday).

Good luck to everyone else - I’ll keep you updated on how things progress

2 Likes

Ridiculous to assume it’s easy/possible for you to transport a parcel like that, they’ve no idea how far away your nearest drop off could be or your circumstances. No excuse not to have it picked up.

2 Likes

Thanks @Jamie_Brady_6978 for the device update (and I can’t moan about early adoption, it is what got me into this mess in the first place :laughing: )

I didn’t get the offer from support, just the return and replacement order - and I hope that the return for your girlfriend is a home collection, not the “pack, hump, dump, hope” return process I’ve been given.

Yikes. I imagine it will take Zwift some time to transition; their core competency isn’t hardware and they will need to adapt from an operations standpoint.

1 Like

Correct, I used the Samsung for the update. It’s updated with the latest software.

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised if Zwift didn’t also ‘buy’ the support and RMA services from the OEM maker while they were at it. Did they really go out and hire support staff who know how these machines are built?

2 Likes

Update: through the powers of Google, we found the ultra secret Customer Service phone # (855-GO-ZWIFT). The rep we spoke to said he’s seen a few of these issues but has been able to Troubleshoot all but one of them (and is still working on that 1). He had us start in the Companion app, click “More” on the bottom right. then Device Connection and make sure it is toggled on. Then fire up the Zwift app in the computer, go into pairing menu, click gear icon in top right and select “Use Zwift Companion”, then back on the pairing menu make sure the Hub is paired. In our case, the rep could see that Bluetooth was severing for some reason as soon as we paired to the trainer. So looks like we have a dud unit and it needs to go back. Hopefully the steps above might solve someone’s issue though.

3 Likes

yeah, i use a direto x from halfords. one advantage of buying from a brick and mortar store is that if you have a warranty problem you can just go and dump it on their desk and halfords will probably just give you a new one and let you walk straight out with it

2 Likes

This sounds similar to what I did - but it worked in my case. May have done other steps as well, but I can’t recall.

1 Like

And just to add, mine took several attempts for it to work. My companion app would keep showing that the hub was forgotten, but it eventually worked. So you might want to keep trying it out before you send it back since it sounds like it will be a big hassle.

We tried a bunch of times. The rep that helped us seemed to get excited about Troubleshooting but that enthusiasm changed as soon as he saw the connection dropping. He obviously recognized something unfixable. While we were testing the last time the email came with the replacement order confirmation and return label, so we gave up and focused our efforts on boxing it up again. They scheduled a pickup with FedEx as well (sorry @KevSp)

1 Like