Game Update - May 19th, 2021

Guess it must be really complicated functionality then…

I’m sure you know that’s not what I mean.

Bugs are bugs, but the intended service is another matter.

Compare it to something like Netflix, for example. One week you watch a series; the next week you find it is no longer available.

Or if thinking about gaming, Timewalking dungeons in World of Warcraft.

Timewalking is a World Event and each of the Timewalking expansions is available in a weekly rotation with the other World Events. Each World Event is available for a week before the next event in the rotation becomes available. Check your in-game Calendar to see when Timewalking will be up.

Curated content happens of lots on platforms and services.

3 Likes

My excitement about this new release is now mixed with frustration at the huge delay in making Meetups available, given this is the way that my club organises rides on Zwift. It doesn’t make any sense to me, even if future updates are planned.

Yes, we could just free ride, but then you’re down to relying on it being a guest world on the correct day, and you lose “keep together”.

5 Likes

It does seem a strange move. I guess there must be a good reason for it, because I can’t think why else they’d manufacture an artificial delay. Maybe a technical limitation that hasn’t been resolved yet?

4 Likes

Is there a technical reason why the game map is 90 degrees offset from the “real world” map?

When riding in Watopia or Richmond, for example, the map we see in game matches directly to what we see in Strava:

But on Makuri Islands, the game map tile is rotated relative to the real world co-ordinates:

I find it jarring, and would prefer them to line up.

Oh, and I’ve just seen that the map poster and maps on the Yumezi page are yet another orientation! Is this just to confuse and upset me?! :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: macOS problems with new update? [1.13.0] [May 19 2021]

I noticed that today as well. Why is the Companion app and all Zwift related material not oriented w/north at the top. You look at the Companion app during the ride, then look at Strava afterwards and are left scratching your head. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Will riding gravel bikes finally make sense on these new courses?

I’m here to raise my hand to say ‘what he said’ because what I want to say is a little more … direct

2 Likes

I’d like to hear a bit more about the ‘why’, I am sure there is a good reason. However the Zwift philosophy is ‘de-risk by under-communicating’ so I am not sure we will find out.

It will be permanently available from June though, so no need to use meet ups to ride the world as an individual.

1 Like

Unless you’re on a platform that doesn’t allow world hacking.

I think I misread this:

If it is going to end up as a much larger map rivalling Watopia, it would make sense for it to be always available.

2 Likes

Wait….so Zwift Team, you’re telling me that I keep paying the same amount each month, but I get more, and more, and more worlds and roads to ride?! This is INCREDIBLE!!

I love Zwift :heart: You’ve helped me lose weight and keep in absolutely incredible shape! Thanks so much!!

One more thing, could you please fix the Apple Watch as HRM function? Often when doing the initial setup after logging in to Zwift the watch has trouble connecting. Turning it off and on helps bit takes a fair bit of time. Thanks again :blush:

5 Likes

Will grey banner visible gears come to android devices ?

No organised events or races in the world seems an entire waste tbf.

Though, Zwift HQ going Zwift… Seems about right.

Not been online today yet but looks like it replaces Watopia on the home screen until 1st June, after which it’ll just be on rotation like NYC etc, with Watopia back as usual. But yeah if it’s gonna be large it’d make sense to go to four worlds - two permanent and two guest.

1 Like

Haven’t ridden it yet but just logged in to check

looks like it is just a guest world (on android at least)

1 Like

Weird, on the videos from DCR and GPLama it’s the main world. Maybe that was just a preview mode. In that case the comment in the OP must just mean it’s a guest world every day until 1st June after which it falls in line with the others and just rotates. Odd way of describing it.

1 Like

If you use the WorldHack it replaces Watopia as an option

1 Like

The beauty of the world is ruined by the intensity of the dust clouds kicked up on the off-road parts.

When I rode last night there were only 20-30 other people, and it looked gorgeous.

I rode just now with 2,700 other people and the off-road bits were obviously crowded. The amount of dust kicked up almost completely masked the view at times.

Here’s an example snipped from GPLama’s stream:

It’s a travesty to have such great work undermined like this. Please can we have an option to disable the dust cloud effect?

7 Likes