Entire buildings and objects disappear

Observed on multiple Windows 10 PCs running Zwift. Two entire buildings disappear and reappear on Crit City; one on the left after the esports arena, the other also on the left at the top of the KOM, just after the banner. Appears to be the same building style with the white render feature to the ground floor in each instance. Screenshots below from a stream last night, so game is on the latest version. Timestamped videos included too, though not sure they’ll work embedded.

Building #1

Building #2

Possibly, an artifact of Zwift’s graphics engine rendering algorithm: a decision is made which objects (=buildings, etc.) to render based on rendering complexity and available CPU/GPU processing power (=frames per second).

It does make building disappear at times, then re-appear (and am not sure I follow the logic…)

Have you noticed bikes/riders disappearing from a (big…) group ride? Same idea.

It does it on my 1660 at 50fps in 4K so I’m unconvinced it’s a resource problem. Just a bug with that building model.

1 Like

It’s a feature with a built-in bug… :slight_smile:

If you can notice buildings in Crit city then you are not going hard enough. LOL

2 Likes

Sounds like something an Apple TV fan would say. :wink:

1 Like

Still the same. Two months down.

Four months.

See you again in January Dave.

Seven months.

Win10/i3-12100F/8GB/RTX 3060 Ti etc

Stone flag paths texture replaced with sand.

Assets in the distance disappearing and reappearing multiple times as you approach.

Culminating in an entire section of the world going missing, then appearing again.

Been mentioned before by multiple people including me but thought I’d log it. If you want to figure out why some people are getting random crashes, probably start with stuff like this.

I noticed some strange effects like that when I was on Yorkshire last week trying to get some route badges, particularly with slow loading of the route ahead (seen in your second last image).

I was using latest Zwift at the time on Mac Pro 2010 with macOS 12.6.1 with AMD RX580 8GB, Dual Xeon X5690 CPUs at 3.46ghz (6 cores each) and 96GB ram.

This is what I was describing here:

https://forums.zwift.com/t/background-graphics-behaviour/594791/6?u=chris_holton

1 Like

My Zwift machine is certainly not a potato of a machine (despite the age) and it has the same thing. So something is amiss.

1 Like

It’s clearly not related to specs, but the platform as a whole. My point is that it’s easy to see why all that stuff popping up on a lower end system could be very problematic. Likewise if the game is looking in the wrong places for things, such as the paths being incorrect for no apparent reason. If it’s symptomatic of a wider issue then it needs looking into.

I’m wondering if the switch to Metal on Apple platforms has a part to play in this; if the previously unified development is gone.

I wouldn’t expect the Metal for Mac platforms is to blame, things like different textures showing where they shouldn’t be means probably that resource is being called twice.

I don’t know inner workings of Zwift but I have done game development before (3D models and texture mapping).

1 Like

I just mean if they’ve taken their eye off the ball, not the Metal stuff per se. Yorkshire has been around ages and they’re not expanding it, why should it suddenly go wrong? Hints at a bigger issue IMO.

1 Like

I know its getting off topic for this thread, but this is what mystifies me about major Zwift bugs - they don’t seem related very often to anything that has been added/changed in the update. Its the same as the recent major bug with the challenge completion popup for example (but the same pattern is seen with many other bugs too) - Zwift hadn’t just released the challenge or the bike unlock function (or made any changes to it I saw announced), the challenge had been in place for years, so why did it suddenly break? It seems so odd that stuff keeps breaking in Zwift updates in areas that aren’t even related to any new features.

Its like a surgeon who’s carrying out an operation for an in-grown toenail and somehow manages to lop the patient’s head off.

Its very, very strange.

1 Like

(EDIT: This is a merged post from another thread)

Riding in Urukazi today, the trees were dissolving and shape-shifting. As you approached them, initially deciduous/leafy trees first started to dissolve/speckle/pixelate and then shape-shifted completely as you got nearer into palm trees! :rofl:

I doubt it is relevant but I am on ipad Pro, iPadOS, latest version of both the OS and of Zwift itself (updated yesterday and checked for updates before ride today).

Screenshots below of the sequence, with the area I’m trying to highlight “zoomed”/superimposed to make it clearer. It seemed to happen persistently (across multiple laps) and also for all trees.

I have to say this one did amuse me… but is still ridiculous :sweat_smile:

IMG_1849.PNG
IMG_1851.PNG
IMG_1850.PNG

July 2020 :joy: