Apple TV 4k remote issues

@Jo_Jo you are a genius! I just tried and I can now select 1workout at a time. Well done!

yes, I found that some time ago too, but this is not convenient and lag is huge ā€” problem not solved.

The whole UI should be redesigned for ATV. All other companies did that for ATV versions of their apps. Having a computer oriented UI on a media box is ridiculous in first place. There is no need to play with sensitivity settings or whatever tvOS dev team is doing there atm, instead just fix the root of the problem and that is it.

3 Likes

Hello Gleb

Yes, you are right. Itā€™s still not perfect, even not near good. But now you can select a training.
So you can use the full functionality, which was not possible until now.

Bye

Not to pile on, but the Apple TV remote has always worked for me, but requires a lot of patience because has always been VERY poor in terms of response for me - nothing even approaching how it performs in other Apps. DC Rainmaker makes a lot of noise about how awful the remote is in his video on Zwift with AppleTV, but thatā€™s not the remoteā€™s fault so much as the Appā€™s if you ask me.

Also, I just now tried the Apple TV app for iOS and that works BETTER, but still isnā€™t as seamless as it is in other AppleTV Apps.

I run Zwift on the latest Apple TV 4k with the latest software update.

This may be a separate issue, but I also notice that my Logitech Harmony IR remote, which operates normally otherwise with the Apple TV and its installed apps, doesnā€™t seem to work at all (at least not in any intuitive way) in the Zwift app. At most the ā€˜okā€™ button might work. Beyond that itā€™s unusable for navigating within the app. Iā€™m guessing this is more an IR interface issue than anything to do with the Harmony remote itself.

The AppleTV App is amazing otherwiseā€¦ It just needs the remote functionality refined a tad.

3 Likes

After a couple of frustrating weeks with the AppleTV 4K remote using an older 720p TV, I broke down and bought a cheap Hisense 4K TV. Lo & behold, the remote now behaves as itā€™s supposed to. And I now have a full screen - on the 720p tv, the outer edges of the screen were cut off. If my Harmony 700 would work with Zwift, Iā€™d only need one remote - it handles every other app Iā€™ve tried on AppleTV but Zwift.

1 Like

@Vincent
Now I have a new problem only with the Workout/Plans window ā€¦
I simply canā€™t use it any more !!! Before it was bad, now itā€™s even worse. I changed to 720p on my 4k Samsung TV, trying to get the remote control in order ā€¦ didnā€™t help at all. So now when Iā€™ve changed back to 4k resolution ( both tried 50 and 60 Hz ) and now the Workout/Plan window is inaccessible !!! Both in 4k resolution, and 720p resolution. I even tried uninstalling and re-installing Zwift to fix the issue. Please see the video ā€¦ Iā€™ve also restarted the AppleTv4k five times, and flipping the resolution back and forth ā€¦ it always crashes at this same dialog, please see the attached Youtube videos Iā€™ve created

4 videos below clearly show this dialog ā€¦ please see video #3 which explains the CRASH bug:

This video shows that this is once again, connected to the remote control ā€¦ and itā€™s ONLY this Workout/Plans dialog which acts like this, just CRASHES!

Good job. Thank you. I have full, if slow, functionality!

Hey there @Vincent :slight_smile:

Any more news on the progress of a fix here?

Kind regards,

Hey there, the apple TV remote functionality is being worked on and tweaked. Are you still getting those crashes with your workout plan menu?

Hi @Vincent,

Excellent to hear, thatā€™s the main concern I have like you know ā€¦ the remote issue on AppleTv4k

Yes, Iā€™m getting the crashes the moment I go ā€œout of boundsā€ on the workout/plans screen with the ā€œpointerā€/selection, not happening on any other screen ā€¦ and I think it was not like that before the latest update release of the AppleTv4k/iOS update ( 31th of December 2018 )

Please let me know the progress of the remote fix, thanks

Kind regards,

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up, Iā€™ll check in with our Apple TV team!

2 Likes

The remote works on the training plan/work out screen once every 1000 tries. Pretty frustrating user experience.

Is there a workaround (or a fix) for this?

Just adding one more voice to this.

Very recently bought an Apple TV 4K 64Gb as a dedicated Zwift device for my garage. Apple TV on latest OS patch level, and Zwift current too.

Finding it very difficult to move from option to option to select anything on any screen - I swipe and swipe and in most cases nothing happens. Yet I have no problems using the remote in any other apps, e.g. Netflix, Prime, Fulgaz, Settings ā€¦

Very difficult to start a ride unless you just stick with the defaults and click your way into the ride without changing anything, which is disappointing and challenging.

There must be a straightforward fix somehow ā€¦ otherwise Plan B, could you add support for moving over the screen with cursor keys, as then I could use my TVā€™s universal remote which seems to work very well with all other Apple TV apps, but not with Zwift.

Cheers
Mark

4 Likes

I have the exact same issues. Running Zwift on a brand new Apple TV 4K and the remote is basically useless. Itā€™s hard enough navigating screens with just a few buttons, but choosing a workout is close to impossible. Every other app works just fine.

If fixing the issues with the remote isnā€™t really a priority, I hope it will at least be possible to select workouts etc. through the companion app instead at some point.

3 Likes

No problem using my Harmony 650 with AppleTV - works with every app save Zwift. The swipe/select is a major design flaw in the Apple remote IMO.

1 Like

i have Apple TV 4th Gen, and its nice to know this just isnā€™t me! Took me 5 minutes to get to the SAVE button after yesterdays ride! I donā€™t even bother with changing any kit, or selecting training sessions because I know it will be virtually impossible to select !

1 Like

For me setting touch surface tracking to slow worked. At least to be able to select a workout, which was impossible before. It is still not perfect, but I can live with it for now.

IF this makes a difference then itā€™s a serious indication that the developers donā€™t ā€œget itā€ when it comes to using the Apple TV remote. I shouldnā€™t need to find a forum and plow through dozens of messages to understand how the use the UI.

Like just about everyone else in this thread, attempting to navigate the AppleTV UI with the remote drives my blood pressure to unsafe levels. The visual feedback is frequently either wrong or far too subtle, and determining which direction the developers intend us to swipe to navigate is a crap shoot. Add to that the incredible inconsistency of sensitivity to swipe gestures and getting around the UI becomes a ā€œgameā€ in and of itself (and not a fun one at all when youā€™re just trying to select and begin a workout).

Itā€™s also fairly clear that youā€™re trying too hard to have a consistent UI with other devices. That UI just doesnā€™t work for the TV and remote. You canā€™t just tap on something. The interaction model with a remote is simply not as rich as other interfaces, this has to be taken into account to make it usable.

PLEASE!! Fix the sensitivity issues with the remote ASAP, but consider that a TV interface needs different affordances and revisit the TV UI with that in mind.

6 Likes

@Eric hey there!

Could you PLEASE have your developers of the AppleTv look into this issue. This thread was created in September 2018, and like you see, there are numerous reports of this issue. I know it has been said ā€œZwift is looking into thisā€ but as 10% of your users, have the AppleTv ā€¦ this should be REALLY high in your priority lists of things that need to be fixed. Could you please tell us the status of this issue and how much longer we need to wait for a proper fix on this issue?

Kind regards,
EE.
Iceland

4 Likes

`I am a total noob to Zwift but use it on the Apple TV 4K.

Iā€™m likely to cancel it as the remote experience is far too poor. It took me about 20 minutes to actually start due to the buggy interface / remote performance.

Sorry Zwift but youā€™re got buggy software here, not worth the monthly premium.

1 Like