Apple TV 4k remote issues

Yes, people finding workarounds for all the shortcomings on the Zwift program, while it should be fixed on all platforms really… it’s sad…

Not going to advocate Zwift staff here :sunglasses:, but I believe main problem here is Apple TV remote, as it’s basically horrible design … just my $0.02

I agree it’s not perfect, but it is at least workable in other apps.

Scrolling through workouts, scrolling through finishline results or ride summary screen, adjusting ftp in workout start screen, … those ‘screens’ aren’t workable with the remote.

1 Like

atv4 remote is not the best apple product for sure, but Zwift menus work horrible even with macbook trackpad (which is best trackpad on the market since the beginning of times)

I found that out as well. The Apple remote is a PITA to use and takes an inordinate amount of putzing around to make a selection. Just ending a session is aggravating with having to swipe up, down, across, etc… My Harmony 650 turns on my TV and ATV, i click down to the Zwift app and then nothing. The Apple remote is the problem - poor design. I use an Amazon Firestick that’s miles ahead in convenience. I realize this isn’t Zwift’s fault but it would make using the program easier were they to add IR capability.

1 Like

I think all of these comments about the Apple TV remote quality is diverting the focus from the real problem. There are many other apps on the ATV where the remote works 100 times better (I use it daily). Whilst it’s not perfect as a device (is it really THAT bad!?), it certainly has the capability to work so much better in the Zwift app.

I am not really sure why all this explanation has to be done to get Zwift support to acknowledge and fix this - just installing Zwift and trying to use it shows exactly what the problem is, irrelevant of the model of ATV you have.

6 Likes

Hello Zwift

I bought an ATV because Zwift doesn’t run well on my old Windows laptop. Too slow.
But on ATV it’s nearly unusable because of the remote issue. Because of this I would like to ask, if I get my money back, if I would like to cancel my subscription.
I’m not willing to accept such a product.
Please fix soon.

Thanks

PS: Apple TV Not 4K

1 Like

This was extremely helpful. My cursor now works thank you!

Great to find this thread! I use Apple TV 4K and have been pulling my hair out trying to select a workout - I literally scroll from top to bottom - lottery if I get the right one. Just worked out how to get manual workouts onto Apple TV - (thanks Eric Min) - now I struggle to select them. Looking forward to patch. Ride On.

2 Likes

when ever my apple remote wont scroll I unplug the apple box and plug it back in. Seems to work everytime

1 Like

Apple TV 4K

1. Apple Tv remote control on Zwift is heavy. Works with a delay or suddenly rape. This is fatal!

2. Why on Apple TV I do not see my own training plans created on a PC!

3. Create a plan for creating an apple TV training.

@Vincent hi there,

Could you please tell us the latest on this remote control issue on Apple Tv 4k?

Can you even tag some from your tvOs team in this thread, so this gets proper attention …
this is among the highest voted bugs inside Zwift to date … is there really not a fix coming up for this serious fatal issue?

Kind regards,

p.s. when will the “Mute title music be added to the tvOs” ?

1 Like

Have you tried to connect the keyboard but previously unplugging the remote? Remember Appletv only 3 BT devices. Pilot, simulator, heart.

Hey @lord02 this thread has been seen by our Apple TV team and they are aware of the concerns! I will update this thread as soon as I receive any new information regarding that functionality.

@Vincent ok thank you. Is there ANY progress on the fix … this thread was created on September 30th, and has been upvoted 31 times. When do your developers think a fix will be schedueled? Are they even working on it, you’ve never reponded if there’s anyone WORKING on a fix. Only that they know about the probklem. Maybe hire some more objective-c developers who know how to do this properly … ? :slight_smile: Loads of apps ( all other than Zwift? ) are able to operate properly with the out-of-the-box remote control. Also, I’ve not experienced any other app on my Apple Tv 4k which does not react to my logitech bluetooth keyboard which is connected to it … but Zwift will not respond to it, at all. I would think all this is build into the tvOS if your guys knew how to code for tvOs …

1 Like

Hey Eiki, it’s being worked on but there just isn’t any ETA at the moment. They’re working on the remote sensitivity to find the best balance and there has been some progress.

@Vincent thanx for a proper answer!

That problem would never appear if apple did let user to choose to use remote trackpad not as “arrows”, but as a cursor navigator.

Hello All

I might found a solution for the problem. And it make sense, that Zwift has difficulties to find a quick solution.
I think Gleb Chugin indicates the solution I found today. Its about how you move your finger over the touch pad area.
There are two modes:

1. You flick with your finger over the pad. Means: Touch the pad, flick to the top or button and release the finger again after the movement. This switches the different buttons within Zwift in the menus. Top, down, left, right where ever you want to go. For example from the button at the bottom of the screen into the scrolling list of the workouts. Thats what we do normally.
  2. If you touch with your finger at the top of the touch area and you wait a small time (0,5sec) and than move your finger over the touch area to the bottom of the touch area with light pressure to the touch area and slowly, you will see the cursor is moving from workout session to workout session single by single. If you than press the touch area you choose the selected workout “type” and you can move the cursor again with this technique single by single through the list.

Summary: Two touch modes

1. Flicking from button to button
  2. “Scrolling” single by single step by touch, hold and move finger over the touch area.

Problem solved.

Please give feedback, if this works for you.

Thanks

3 Likes