Apple TV 4k remote issues

It would need to emulate the ‘swipe’ function of the original remote since that’s the only thing Zwift will respond to (as opposed to simple up, left, right, down).

It doesn’t appear that it does emulate a swipe - at least it doesn’t seem to be mentioned anywhere. And tbh I wouldn’t expect there is much of a calling for this function (other than from Zwift users), since other ATV apps work fine without it.

The answer is clearly no… Because Zwift code do not respect the tvOS standards, no chance to have a “compatible” remote ctrl

2 Likes

It is indeed a PITA if you want to change world-select route or sort routes alphab./distance/height.
You never now when the swipe is registered and how to swipe to get to next option in the dropdown. It should respond to an ‘enter’ on the touchpad to select the dropdown, and then respond to an single ‘enter’ to go to next option in the dropdown. A double-enter could then be used to select and then move on with the selected route.

Before I found this thread I purchased the SALT remote hoping it would help.

As others have predicted - It does not work at all.

1 Like

Certainly the ATV remote isn’t as user friendly as simply having arrow keys and buttons, but I have to say that I’ve never had any trouble using it do select routes, choose workouts, etc. unless the battery is low–basically, if the “trackpad” ever doesn’t respond crisply, I know it’s time to charge the battery.

That has been my experience :thinking:

Wow, this issue has been around for a couple of years! I bought an Apple TV 4K just for Zwift (thinking it would be the best device for the job). Really disappointed with how bad it is to navigate around the menus. It’s no different when it’s fully charged and I don’t see this lag on any other apps.

2 Likes

There was an update last night but sadly any UI changes we had hoped for must have been delayed again.

Not delayed- ignored. This issue has been reported for years. Zwift doesn’t care.

The UI will not be updated as a whole. They will fix one screen at a time. Fixing ( rewriting ) the whole UI was too much work they say.
The previous UI project was just not good enough to roll out.

One of the first will be able to select multiple activities without exiting.

This is work in progress and the first incremental fix will be released this fall, 2020

Wait for it to actually be released and work :slight_smile:

1 Like

I certainly wouldn’t want Zwift to work too hard for the monthly subscription fees we’re all paying.

2 Likes

I have the same issue as discussed above. Apple TV 4 with the Siri remote - the swipe command is far too touchy for your UI. The tap command is a much-needed input. This is such an obvious flaw with your Apple TV implementation. Did no one product test? I am embarrassed for you guys…

2 Likes

good for you man

pity the surge in concurrent users, didn’t want their apple tv to work
i lost so much time changing bikes on a group ride yesterday, because off the dreadful interpretation of my swipes.

Just bought an Apple TV 4th gen to run Zwift, but the remote controls still do nothing? It’s complete impossible to navigate within Zwift? I can’t even move to the left or right. Is there any news about a fix?

It is not ‘complete impossible’, but it is definitely cumbersome. I generally use the Companion app during my rides, but used the remote a few times last week because I was trying to watch La Vuelta on my iPad while Zwifting. Definitely a PITA! Trying to get the turn option selected was exceptionally troublesome, and I ended up accidentally ‘quitting’ the Zwift Gran Fondo on Sunday while trying to activate a Power Up. Truly annoying. I do wonder if there is much Zwift can do about this, though, as they are largely hampered by the design of the Apple remote.

I don’t have the Siri remote, but the older Silver version. Is this the reason that almost nothing is responding?
Is it worth getting a Siri remote?

NO!! Just use the Companion app.

It is the reason, Zwift on Apple TV (either 4th or 5th gen - known as Apple TV 4K) requires the Siri remote to navigate the menus. You can’t use the old silver remote, a keyboard or anything else. I believe you can use the Apple TV Remote app for iPhone or iPad, if you have one: Set up the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support (UK) Otherwise you’re stuck.

Nigel’s suggestion of using the Companion app is only applicable if you can get into the actual game first. Which you apparently can’t.

2 Likes

Did you buy it used? Because the 4th gen ATV comes with the Siri remote as standard. If you bought that used then the seller has misled you.