Apple TV 4k remote issues

Sorry Mr Tufnal

I am finding it impossible to control the app properly with the remote. I wasn’t asking for your help I was adding my name to a very long list (as I have discovered) of users who find Zwift lacking in comparability with the Apple TV remote .
I was only hoping that Zwift may solve the problem on the next upgrade.

Ah, I see. As I have stated previously, I really don’t have many issues with the ATV remote. Of course, I also don’t use it much beyond starting and finishing my rides, so there isn’t much real interaction with it. (I mostly use the Companion app in-game.) could it be better? Possibly. But, truthfully, it’s hard for me to discern issues are with the remote itself, or with the way Zwift has implemented its use of what Apple has given them to play with.

There is, supposedly, an entire new UI for Apple TV that Zwift had ready months ago, but postponed implementing due to the surge in users during the pandemic. So, I’m sort of just reserving any further judgement until that actually comes out and I can see if things have improved, stayed the same, or (quite possibly) gotten worse. Keeping my fingers crossed that the new UI comes out soon AND that it’s a major improvement.

1 Like

Search your forum for Apple TV 4K remote issues. Maybe not an issue for those who dont use it, but for $21 a month the situation is unforgivable.

Sent using iOS Mail from my iPhone XR

1 Like

Sure, but why keep using it when there are other options for most of the functions, at least in-game, at the starting/stopping options are just small pieces of the puzzle? It’s like making a problem just to complain about it.

1 Like

If a vendor claims to support a particular device then they need to do it properly when they are charging that sort of money. Or not do it at all. If it was a free App, then fine. But its not.

Anyway i am done paying good money to vendors who focus more on new and wonderful features than fixing bugs, that clearly cheese off a lot of users, and are obviously too hard for them to fix.

Cheers
Mal

Sent using iOS Mail from my iPhone XR

1 Like

But they do fix bugs. Maybe not the ones you want, but they do. And this isn’t a ‘bug’, it’s just a lack of it working the way you (and some others) want it to. Again, I am not 100% satisfied with the way the remote interacts with the game, but it works well enough that I’m ok with them focusing on other things. And, as I’ve read through the forums, it seems to be the newer ATV remotes that have the most issues. So what is Zwift supposed to do? Design a game for each version of remote? And what if Apple changes the remote in their next model? Yet another version of Zwift? There are very few things in this world that work perfectly in the manner that everyone who uses them would want them to, but hopefully most are close enough that they perform their prescribed function/s well enough to do the job. If you can find something that works better than Zwift for cycling, fantastic! Please let us all know what that is. And if it’s free that’s even better! Sure, at some point Zwift may get some reasonable competition that forces them to fix issues like this, but for now the largest clamor seems to be for more roads, so that’s what we get most often.

Zwift is the only app I use that doesn’t work well with the Apple TV remote and doesn’t work at all with my Logitech Harmony universal remote. To me this is either a bug or they’ve implemented it this way on purpose. I’d love to see their testing team’s report on this.

1 Like

Good evening,

Zwift is going to fix this UI problem now in August 2020. At least that’s what they say but they have promised this many times before and have not delivered, so just be aware of that and don’t get your hopes too high. I am more positive regarding this now than ever though since I know the beta testing ( not publicly available ) has been going well from my understanding.

The problem with the Zwift app regarding iOS and the remote control, is that it’s NOT designed specifically for the tvOs which AppleTv runs. It’s designed for iOS.

The biggest distinction between iOS and tvOS is the handling of user interaction; an iOS service is operated by multitouch technology, whereas in the case of tvOS it’s remote control. Apple has a specific system within UIKit called focus engine to make navigation between content items on the screen possible.

To NOT develop a specific tvOS version of Zwift is a major design flaw which Zwift did in the beginning but they are trying to make of for it by re-writing the whole UI from scratch again. This is why the remote control works so terribly on the AppleTv and no universal and/or Harmony remote controls work on the Zwift app.

This is the single most read thread on their user forum and most upvoted bug by far, I just wish Zwift would have shifted their focus on the matter much sooner. But hey, it is what it is, let’s just hope they’ll fix the UI properly in August 2020 like they promised.

Best regards from Iceland,

5 Likes

I’ve been using Zwift since the beta days. I use tv and the remote is a PITA. Generally you can get buy and start a ride and then use the companion. But last week I started a new rating plan synced with training peaks. Getting to navigate the workouts menu is so difficult and frustrating in early launches the remote the through the TV. The sooner the new UI comes the better.

1 Like

@lord02 where did you hear this is coming in August?

Hi Zwift, after just switching over from a mac to an Apple TV setup, i couldn’t beleive how useless the A.Remote is, spent at 20 mins try to select a route. Please fix

2 Likes

So 2 years on and I have the exact same issue, no answers from tech help, seems like Zwift love your money but are not interested in supporting or fixing the issue.
Anyone found a good alternative to Zwift?

1 Like

MacRumors had and article about a replacement ATV remote control being released next month. It will be a replica of a Swiss teleco’s inexpensive ATV remote that has been very popular.

Keep in mind that there is (at least supposedly) a major UI update for ATV that should be coming soon. It was initially planned to be released earlier this year, but COVID put those plans on hold so that Zwift could focus on other things (like the massive surge in concurrent users). I would guess (hope?) that this update will arrive in the next month, or so. Whether it will improve things, or just make them different, remains to be seen.

2 Likes

Alternative ATV remote with buttons - Function101 Button Remote for Apple TV Compatible w/ Apple TV 4K

@Steve_Hammatt: is there something that leads you to believe this remote would work with the current Zwift UI? I’m thinking it would work the same as any other 3rd party remote (i.e. it wouldn’t work)

Maybe if we do get the new UI though…

I hadn’t heard that other 3rd party remotes don’t work. I assumed that this would work just fine. Thay may be an incorrect assumption. I haven’t tried it.

Only the Siri remote works, no alternative remotes, keyboards or any other input device whatsoever. Even the previous generation Apple TV remote (with physical buttons) cannot be used.

Maybe some European users will chime in. It sounds as if they have had the SALT cable providers version of this remote available there since sometime in late 2019. Here is the more detailed info on the SALT telecom version of the remote.

It is designed to connect to the ‌Apple TV‌ out of the box and requires no pairing to set up.

As far as I’m aware, literally nothing else works.