Apple TV handheld remote

The Apple remote is mostly unusable in Zwift. The scroll pad is ridiculous, it’s simply uncontrollable and there are no alternatives. I continue to find areas of the screen that do not work with the scrolling button on the Apple remote. For example selecting a route or selecting a pace partner, in those areas where a list is supplied and it’s bigger than the window it lives in you can’t use the arrow buttons to navigate because use of the arrow button takes the focus out of the list and to next area of focus (and in some instances the focus of the “cursor”) is lost all together so the user has no idea what to press next to move on or go back. It is seriously frustrating. I spent over 15 minutes yesterday just trying to select a route by trying to slide(drag?) the focus to the route I wanted, but the slider wouldn’t move off the route it was on, but then after a delay it jumps several routes past the one I wanted, so I sit there trying to get it to land on the line I want by going up and down the list, finally, by luck alone landing on the one I wanted.

I have no idea if this would work any better, but have you tried using the iOS remote control for AppleTV?

I assume you are talking about the virtual remote that runs on a phone or tablet, yes I tried it and found it to be worse. Thanks

1 Like

Adding to this thread…

I have a Gen 2 Siri remote and it was pretty good for a while this winter. Something in a recent Zwift update borked it again - the touchpad is next to impossible to get a clean scroll with. (Pace Partner selection, Garage etc)

It works GREAT with every other app and the ATV UI in general. Further, the “virtual remote” on an iPad is similarly wonky, solely in Zwift.

Ergo, it is entirely reasonable to conclude this is a Zwift software problem.

2 Likes

I’m the interest of balance, I’ve had ATV for a few years now and the only area I find the remote to be hard work is selecting workouts.

Everything else works fine and I find it easy to use.

1 Like

I’ve used AppleTV 4K for Zwift since Zwift came to AppleTV.
I do not have any issues with the remote, even though the touchpad is cracked.
It took a bit of getting used to, but it works just fine.

Perhaps the older versions did work fine, but the latest does not.

Thanks

2 Likes

I have the latest (silver, Siri v2) remote on my Apple TV and it’s generally fine. Sure, it’s slightly oversensitive and sometimes overshoots, but it’s perfectly useable.

I agree. I’ve made a request that workouts can be loaded in the companion app to solve this.

I’ve been a long time Atv user with the original style remote.

It’s truly awful with zwift!!!

And anger inducing with sweaty hands, in the past I’ve clicked off workouts when trying to alter bias, turned off Erg mode when selecting workouts ……. If you can get the one you want that is!

New Apple TV. Simply will not select pace partners. Considering using a PC again as this is a ridiculous waste of time. Zwift really need to lift their game.

That pace partner selection screen on ATV is a nightmare. For some reason it’s way more difficult to select items than on other Zwift screens.

However, it does work if you persevere. Keep swiping and eventually you’ll move the selection. Of course this shouldn’t be necessary, but it’s not true that it doesn’t work at all even though that’s the impression that you could easily get (and I myself got that impression the first time too).

Same here! Have the latest ATV 4K with the latest remote…

It is sooo hard to chose the right Pace Partner and takes minutes. This is ridiculous.

I am swiping down many times… nothing happens, then it would move the focus out of the list again… you would need to click up again and try again to swipe down…

Can’t understand why Zwift is dragging their developer feet on fixing this. If money wasn’t an issue I’d toss the ATv and go back to a Windows PC. Their apparent lack of concern about ATv saddens me as I thought Zwift was a better company than that. Apple users are not getting the same level of service or performance as the Mac/Pc users yet we pay the same. It’s been more that 6 months since I move to Apple without any improvements. Cmon Zwift get in the game on ALL platforms!

Depends on availability where you are, but in the UK a used PC offering roughly the same Zwift experience as an Apple TV 4K costs less than £70. With none of the limitations and an upgrade path to Ultra graphics at 60fps if desired.

Quick example: Fujitsu Esprimo E420 Intel i3 4160 @3.60GHz 8GB Ram 120GB SSD Win 10 Wifi ED2710 | eBay

That’s £54 and needs nothing else adding to run Zwift in Basic profile at 1080p resolution and around 30fps - same as an Apple TV 4K. You’d add a Bluetooth/ANT+ dongle, display cable, mouse and keyboard. An optional low profile graphics card would upgrade the graphics profile and frame rate.

Non-issue as @Dave_ZPCMR points out above.

I’m an Apple TV user since Zwift started supporting it. Tips for the remote:

• Get a silicone/rubber case for it to make it easier to hold. This is game changing, especially with sweaty/wet hands.
  • In the Apple TV settings, turn down the sensitivity if you’re using the touchpad.
  • Flick on the touchpad to move selections.
  • Pace partner selection: To scroll down/up to see the the other pace partners, you need to keep your thumb on the touchpad and slide it from top to bottom or vice-versa. Once you figure out how to do this, you’ll be both :rage: and :relieved: , probably more of the former :joy:

The remote works. Is it a well designed experience, I’d say no. But, w/patience and a few adjustments, it becomes a non-issue.

Lastly, there was an FCC filing for a new remote. Maybe Apple is going to release yet another remote this fall/winter. Granted, no matter how good or bad it is, it’ll be 2025 before Zwift supports it :sweat_smile:

2 Likes