Zwift won't adjust power and terrain after latest Wahoo KICKR firmware v4.21

Power cycling was ineffective. I am connecting my Kickr to PC using Bluetooth, and have the android companion app running along side. I tried re-pairing the trainer - no issue pairing it - restarting the app, rebooting the PC, and power cycling the trainer several times. In each case under firmware 4.2.1, watts and cadence drop to 0 after less than a minute of riding. Rolling back to 4.1.2 resolved the issue completely.

Thank you @Tom_Antonucci - I would have missed my last workout of the week for my training plan, were it not for your helpful instructions.

latest zwift release does not solve the problem. I tried last night on the latest release and latest firmware and was unable to ride after several reboots, restarting the app, powering down the trainer etc. Only downgrading the Kickr firmware worked for me.

How do you downgrade the Kickr firmware with just the app on the iPhone?

Tried the magical ten taps on the icon and I’m sure my phone is looking back at me laughing!!

Please help, zwifting addict and I need a fix!!

Look at the instructions on post #20, above.
How fast are you tapping? I was tapping pretty fast. I’m on android, not iOS, but it looks like the same process.

1 Like

@Matt_Di_Giovanni_DIR You absolute belter, just been out to the pain cave, tapped my phone like a man possessed and et voilà I could access the old firmware!!

My little blue LED light is flicking a treat now while on Zwift and all’s working pukka!!

Thank You!!

2 Likes

Great! I was sorting this out last night with only a couple hours left to complete the last ride of the week in my training plan. I understand the frustration! Happy riding!

Seeing a variety of issues that others have described and have given clarity to what I’m experiencing.

1. When riding in Sim mode the terrain and resistance get out of sync. Last night riding Three Sisters on the Epic KOM climb to the tower the resistance fluctuated and I was shifting to some of my higher gears. Then on the way down the reverse side of the KOM I was riding down a -9 to -10% portion of the hills and I found myself in the small chain ring with second largest cog in the cassette and still could barely hit 50 RPM cadence.

It has been doing this for a while it’s only as I’ve decided to retackle a couple of the epic climbs recently that I noticed significant fluctuations.

1. ERG mode doing the FTP Ramp test. First two attempts could get little to no resistance. Pedaling at 120 RPM in highest gear and couldn’t break 150 W. I ride at 220 to 270 watts regularly and comfortably hit 350 at times.

I’ve been shutting down the kickr, I always shut down the Zwift app and there is nothing else connected to the MacBook by bluetooth. I will try a few of the recommendations I see in this forum but specifically I intend to downgrade the Kickr firmware and see what happens. I have an Ant+ dongle if necessary but that seems ridiculous since this all was working before on BLE - very reliably I might add - prior to some apparent software changes. Looking forward to you all delivering support for the hardwire dongle from Kickr so I never need to think about any of this nonsense again. LOL

There is a dedicated computer for Zwift and the Kickr. No other devices or computers involved running the Zwift app. Everything connects via BLE to the MacBook. iPhone runs the Zwift Companion app. Everything is on the latest update.

MacBook Pro 2017
BLE on Apple Bluetooth software: 8.0.3d9
Zwift app: 1.10.1 63186
Connected via BLE to:

1. Trainer: Wahhoo Kickr V5
    Firmware: 4.2.1
    Provides: Power, Cadence, Control
  2. Polar H9 Heart Rate Sensor

Zwift Companion App on:
iPhone 11 / iOS 14.4
App version 3.22.1 (1090)
Server Version 1.227.0

Same issue and thankfully now resolved. Thanks

BTW, reverting firmware is not a solution; it is a band-aid. There is a reason for Wahoo to update the firmware irrespective of the bug it introduced. Hopefully they’ll have a 4.3 version out soon.

3 Likes

I was having same problem tonight windows 10 using Bluetooth. I have downgraded but still have issues , erg mode fluctuating especially on low cadence workout. Do you find Ant more stable than Bluetooth? I do think this is a cadence issue

My Kickr is a 2015 model, firmware v1.5.68
I play the Zwift app on my ipad air 2.
I use Bluetooth to connect the app, my Kickr, my HR monitor(Tickr) and the cadence+speed sensor(bontrager).

Since the Zwift update I have been having problems with tension apparently changing randomly and not as the virtual terrain dictates. Even on flat terrain I experience power surges, this makes it difficult to remain with a group, as wellasmore tiring.

I am unsure if this is related, but on one group ride my bike turned left, whilst everyone else carried straight on, I had not touched the ‘change direction symbol’. I ended up having to quit the ride, it happened after the late join cut off.

Everything worked fine before the Zwift update!

Further information:
I disconnect/unplug the Kickr after every ride
Immediately after the Zwift update the app did not recognise my Kickr, or any of the sensors, so I had to use trainerroad for my rides instead.
I then uninstall both the Zwift and the Zwift companion apps, then completely powered off then rebooted my ipad and android tablets. After a couple of days I reinstalled the apps.
It was then I noticed the erratic power problems on group rides (my other rides are workouts controlled by trainerroad on Ant+).
The group rides are controlled by Zwift on BLE.

The temporary workaround of reverting to the prior v4.1.2 is not available to me as I’m already on an earlier firmware version - and its not working.

I repeat - everything was working fine before the recent Zwift update. So what do I do now?

Has 4.2.2 fixed this ?

Atleast not for me, still have this issue unfortunately. Power off/on not helping either. Very dissapointing. Been following this thread for awhile. Firmware 4.1.2 works.

Edit. 4.2.2 is released and did not fix the issue.

has been 4.2.2 released ?

Viele Grüsse,
Marc

As I said in my post this problem of ERG mode not working isn’t exclusively a problem with the Kickr firmware, although rolling back to an earlier version has worked for those on the latest kickrs…I would’ve hoped Zwift would have posted a response by now…

Would be nice to know that they were actually looking into it even if they can’t resolve it. I think I may have to look elsewhere for an ERG workout,

Firmware 4.2.2 did not fix the issue for me when connecting to native BLE on my Macbook Pro 2016 with the latest version of Big Sur (and BLE version 4.2). There was about 20 seconds of lag between my efforts and the power output in Zwift, while doing a group ride (SIM mode) yesterday.

However, I was able to reduce the lag to one or two seconds when connecting the trainer with BLE through the Companion App on my iPhone 11.

Still waiting for Zwift to support the Wahoo Direct Connect! Its been nearly two months since the release of the dongle, and still no word from Zwift on when we can expect this to be implemented.

Just seeing this forum now. Thanks for the info and posting the ‘band aid.’ I’m having similar problems (resistance freezing randomly mid-workout). Has happened every ride for almost 2 weeks with my PC. Kickr firmware update today did not fix.

I use BLE - anybody having this issue and using ANT+?

Dan

Yep I’m having problems with Bluetooth and ant on 4.2.2

Do you suggest to downgrade to Firmware version 4.1.2? Just upgraded to 4.2.2, but not yet tried on Zwift (I’m suffering continuously BLE dropouts damn!).
Thx!

Same problem here. @shooj could you suggest your dev team that probably the issue is due to a delay between the reading of Power and Cadence. It looks like that gap confuses Zwift and the ERG is reacting to slow bringing extreme consequences…

Any ETA for a fix?