We own two Cyclops Hammer H2’s (one for my wife, one for myself). As of yesterday, neither are auto adjusting resistance. They had been working fine for weeks before this. Our primary interconnect to Zwift is via Ant+ on a laptop. I figured I’d give BLE a shot via a tablet, same same… I also decided to see if a re-calibration would help (via Rouvy). No change.
Another issue we ran into yesterday, which may or may not be related, Zwift wouldn’t pair either of our HR straps. AND, half way through our Zwift event, Zwift lost all connection with my trainer and I was unable to reconnect (my wife was still going fine). I tried restarting the app, restarting the computer, etc and Zwift couldn’t find nor pair my trainer or HR strap (my wife was still riding fine while I was trying to figure all this out and Zwift wasn’t finding her trainer on my Zwift screen either; I do know better than to connect to it even had Zwift found it). I then proceeded to uninstall and reinstall the app. That didn’t help either until magically everything sync’d up (Hammer H2 and strap). Still no auto adjusting resistance though.