Zwift HUB Quick Realese adapter issues

Having Difficulties removing Quick Realese adapter, there is not enough gap to use provided wrench to remove adapter .

Hi @Yusuf_Zengin welcome to Zwift forums.

When you purchased the trainer - I am assuming you ordered one with a gear cassette preinstalled? How many speeds does it have?

The provided wrench should fit on the axle end as shown in our how-to video. Is that not the case? Can you provide a snapshot so we can see whatā€™s happening?

Itā€™s a 12 speed

Yes I purchased it with 12 gear cassette. Adapter is all the way in . There is not enough space for the wrench to have a grip . See picture .

I have difficulty removing the quick release adapter. I need to switch it to thru Axle. Adapter is all the way in so the wrench cannot hold onto it to open it up.

What sort of trainer are you talking about?

The new Zwift Hub

Can somebody merge this thread with the one the OP had already created.

Cheers

1 Like

Youā€™ll have to remove the cassette, using a lockring tool and a chain whip.

2 Likes

I finally got the tools was able to switch the adapter . Now sram force does not run smooth on the 12 gear that has beer provided with the Hub.

So I need to purchase a new pice to switch the casette with a sram compatible one ?

Sorry there is no SRAM compatible cassette with for the Zwift Hub at this time (except the SRAM PG-1230 which has 11-50 gearing - probably of no use to you). With careful adjustment you may be able to get better shifting, but itā€™s not going to be perfect. To get perfect shifting with a 12 speed SRAM drivetrain, youā€™ll need an XDR freehub for the trainer so you can run a SRAM cassette. No such freehub is currently available.

Hi Yusuf,

is it correct you donā€™t use your QR adapter?

I bought a hub second handed but the QR adapter is missing.

If you donā€™t need it, can i buy it from you?

Br,

Ronald Cappendijk

Just got a new Hub One with the cog and found this thread after experiencing a setup issue but this was for Hubs with cassettes included not the One cog. The quick release adapter on my Hub was way over-torqued on my unit and I struggled to get it off. The included 17mm wrench was not accurate enough to get a good grip, after significant force it started to slip and stripped the quick release adapter.Tried using pliers, using another wrench perpendicular to adapter to release, nothing worked. Eventually I figured out hammering a nut (I forget sizeā€¦ but it was SAE) over the small protruding ā€œnippleā€ on the adapter, and was then able to use a ratchet to break it free. I contacted support before figuring it out (an hour and a half into attempting to remove it) and they were utterly useless, suggesting I put soapy water on it, despite the threaded part being on the inside of the adapter. Hope this helps anyone else having a hard time getting the quick release adapter offā€¦

4 Likes

Thanks for this info, Jake. My quick release adapter has a very similar issue so going to try this tomorrow. Pretty ridiculous to deal with.

1 Like

I had the exact same issue about the QR adapter being over torqued I was able to finally remove it after trying a lot of different tools and besides that, the Zwift clicker is missing which makes the whole thing useless.

Hi everyone. I have the same issue with my QR adapter. Did anyone find a good solution for that problem? Iā€˜m a bit scared about hammering a nut over the adapter :smiley:

Same problem here. Canā€™t get the adapter of no matter what I try. Anyone got experience with the chat? Does the support answer?

I do have the same problem, the Hub One was delivered with an extremely over torqued quick release adapter. When trying to remove it with the included tool, it got damaged unfortunatelyā€¦
Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Iā€™m not a bike mechanic and I only ever really tinker with my own bike, occasionally costing me a few Ā£s more than it should have done.

Your question has been asked by a few others on the forum for both large (usually 12 speed pre installed) cassettes and also the Zwift Hub One cog. Paul has given an answer, see below, towards the cassette problem but Iā€™m not sure if it was ever confirmed as working.

Those with knowledge and happy to answer technical questions on this forum are @Paul_Southworth @Tom_J and of course @shooj hopefully they can confirm or deny what I am about to suggest.

Although all the Zwift instructions are to remove the quick release adaptor before changing cassettes and One Cog Iā€™m not sure why that has to be done. If you have a lock ring removal tool it appears to me that it should fit over the adaptor and allow the removal of the lock ring. If the lock ring can be removed then also the outer plastic protective cover should also come off. If both these come off you should have much better access to the adaptor and can therefore get a better grip with better fitting spanner/adjustable spanner or vice grips.

Iā€™m not sure how much you want to scratch your adaptor and whether you wish to reuse or not. Have you tried a pair of vice grips to grip onto the end section. See around 6 minutes on video linked.

Please be careful following my advice and wait to see if you hear back from Paul, Tom or Shooj with their advice.

@shooj All the Zwift hub advice is that this adaptor should be tightened to 6NM. It shouldnā€™t take much to undo these. Can you help? Thanks.