Very poor graphics despite Ultra capable system

On the left how it looks like, on the right how it should look like.

Zwift for some reason fails miserably at detecting my system graphics capabilites and humiliate me with very poor textures (and problably models) quality as shown above. Those can’t be fixed by manually editing config files, where I already maxed everything out.

Worth noting:

1. There is no RAM info displayed when uploading log file to Zwiftalizer (blank space).
  2. There is no info about RAM in log file.
  3. There is no mention of dxdiag running in launcher log file.
  4. There is no computerspecs.txt file in log folder.
  5. It sets High profile at 720p as defailt which is… ridiculous.

Please help me because this is horrible :expressionless: I know there are more people affected by this bug, and there will be much more in the future if it is somehow connected to AMD platform (which lately outsells Intel tenfold). They should be able to enjoy something better than mobile phone graphics.

My Specs:
Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: B450M DS3H
BIOS: F41 (type: UEFI)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core Processor (12 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 16332MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16332MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

Is this an integrated graphics card? Zwift needs a pretty good GPU to get the better resolution.

This article may help:

No, it’s discreet GPU which is big overkill for Zwift(it runs on Ultra on 2 times slower cards like 1050Ti).

GTX 1650 Super = GTX 1060 6GB = GTX 980 = GTX 780Ti = RX 580/590

1 Like

This doesn’t appear related to the graphics card profile, here’s a chap having the same issue on the GTX 1660 which already has Ultra and works fine for others: Zwift Riders | Facebook

His system RAM is also not being recognised, it’s got to be something to do with that?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure this is a new issue, I used to have great graphics, but after the last couple updates, my graphics looks absolutely horrific.

We saw that happening since last year. Could you please share your system specification (CPU, GPU, RAM etc.)?

I have the same issue. My GPU: GeForce RTX 2060. Graphics quality is sot to ultra - 4k but the textures are very low quality.

1 Like

Please share your computer specification (CPU, RAM etc.) as this problem is the most likely not connected with graphics card. You can post screenshot from dxdiag or logfile (type ‘dxdiag’ in search/run field next to menu start.)

My system information:

1 Like

My theory on this is that Zwift only recognises standard quantities of memory divisible by 8 - so 4096, 8192, 16384, 32768 etc - and anything outside that it doesn’t know what to do with. The systems with issues are NOT reporting 16384MB of RAM, as shown in the screenshots above and on the FB thread. Something else is taking up hardware RAM allocation before Windows and throwing Zwift off, which runs without logging any RAM at all.

1 Like

From the manual of one of these user’s motherboards (MSI A320M PRO):

So it’s taking some resource before getting into Windows. I wonder if this is causing the issue, if it means Zwift does not correctly identify the amount of RAM available.

1 Like

Great find Dave. Apparently there is bug where Windows reports installed memory incorrectly by subtracting reserved memory from it’s value (it should only do that with “available memory” but it does it with both). There is no known fix for that, at least I didn’t find one.

It is very much posiible that it throws Zwift hardware detection off and causes described issue with poor graphics. The only hope is Zwift fixing/improving their memory detection algorithm.

More reports of this problem here. Seems like it’s more likely to be when RAM isn’t divisible by 4 rather than 8 based on some of the documentation about OpenGL textures. As though when the system RAM isn’t recognised by Zwift, it is not used to pack/unpack the full-sized or correct quality textures. But I’m getting way out of my depth now, haha.

2 Likes

There will be even more such reports because Ryzen systems popularity is exploding. I really hope someone at Zwift know about this… This really has to be fixed. It is obviously Zwift specific issue.

By the way I wish we could just set graphics settings manually so problems like this, or one with wrong graphics profile assigned to newer GPUs, could be avoided.

1 Like

There is plenty of info on sites about AMD GPUs not being as good as NVIDIA for Zwift. It has to due with AMD not being as good at handling OpenGL which Zwift runs on. You can get more info at www.zwiftalizer.com and:

“ * Note: AMD graphics cards don’t perform as well in Zwift, so they should generally be avoided.”

This problem is nothing to do with that. The OP has an Nvidia graphics card, as have almost all the others. The issue is on the AMD Ryzen CPU platform, but doesn’t affect them all.

@Dave_ZPCMR correct, my bad…brain must be fried today saw Ryzen listed (processor) and brain went to GPU.

1 Like

No worries, it’s certainly an odd one. As mentioned I know of others on Ryzen/Nvidia that don’t have this issue at all (I’m one of them). The weird system RAM thing is the only common denominator I can find. Everyone with this low quality textures problem appears to have an uneven multiple of megabytes and Zwiftalizer analysis shows a blank where it should be listed.

This is true to some extent. Even with unpotimized OpenGL drivers old and lower tier AMD GPUs are still good enough to run Zwift at High or Ultra. This is different issue though. Some high end systems get lowest possible texture (and probably model) quality assigned by Zwift engine. It looks worse than on integrated Intel graphics… And that should say something.

1 Like

MY DxDiag.txt

System Information

Time of this report: 4/15/2020, 18:10:04
         Machine name: DESKTOP-5ADKTJV
           Machine Id: {51C2C03C-CD59-4F05-B920-F5B8682B46B0}
     Operating System: Windows 10 Professionnel 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
             Language: French (Regional Setting: French)
  System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
         System Model: B450 AORUS ELITE
                 BIOS: F42c (type: UEFI)
            Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor             (12 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
               Memory: 16336MB RAM
  Available OS Memory: 16336MB RAM
            Page File: 2183MB used, 16583MB available
          Windows Dir: C:\Windows
      DirectX Version: DirectX 12
  DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
   System DPI Setting: 144 DPI (150 percent)
      DWM DPI Scaling: UnKnown
             Miracast: Available, with HDCP

Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DirectX Database Version: Unknown
DxDiag Version: 10.00.18362.0387 64bit Unicode

1 Like