Tour de Zwift 2020 Cycling FAQ

Politely requesting some additional timeslots. Please add a 5am US MST! 4am is just brutally early!

Hi there,

Not raced much on Zwift, but quite fancied having a go during TdZ. Question is …

If I complete one or two stages as races, then the rest as Group Rides will that still be classed as having completed the tour? Not sure I will have the time to schedule two runs at a stage in order to complete the entire tour as rides AND take part in a couple of races as well.

Thanks,
David

From the website:

RIDE OR RACE

ANY STAGE

You choose how you Tour de Zwift. Want a classic fondo experience? Join a group ride. Ready for a challenge? Race the stage. Select from multiple categories and bring the watts–the fun competition only makes you faster. Learn more below.

PREPARE TO RIDE PREPARE TO RACE

RULES & FAQ

When does Tour de Zwift start and finish?
Stage 1 starts on Jan 12th. The final stage finishes on Feb 8th.

What if I miss a stage?
Makeup stages will be available from Feb 9th to Feb 16th, after Stage 7 completes. During that one week, we’ll host events to cover all 7 stages. Event slots are limited, so make sure to get your rides in!

What do I get for completing all stages?
We won’t spoil the surprise, but it’s nice and shiny. Finish the tour and see for yourself!

Can I mix up group rides and races during the Tour?
Yes. You decide how to ride. As long as you cross the finish line, you’ll receive credit.

I’d like to run and ride all of Tour de Zwift.
We are impressed by your levels of heroism! You can both ride AND run the Tour. You’ll receive TWO unlocks for your achievements.

Are there Women’s only group rides?
Absolutely. All Category C group rides will be for women only.

What’s the difference between group ride and a race?
Group rides are like IRL fondos, with everyone going their chosen distance and riding with friends. Everyone can ride at their own pace. Races are more competitive–first over the line wins. Typically the courses are shorter to balance what will normally be a higher intensity effort.

Gah … thank you. I have read that through a couple of times and just didn’t see the answer I needed.

1 Like

@Neil_Weber
They’re two different settings in your profile.
I have selected the US for location and metric as my preferences. They’re not mutually exclusive.

@Zee_Kryder
The group rides have different distances for A, B, C, etc.
The races are the same distances, but sorted by watts / kg tiers.

I signed up for a time slot and want to change it now, but can’t seem to get out of it? I am now signed up for 3 time slots in one day… How can I cancel the ones I don’t want to participate in?

Easiest way is on the companion app - click the tick on the event and it will turn back into an orange plus, meaning you’re no longer entered.

There has been some confusion on the zwift webpages for each event but I have found the Zwifthacks events page the easiest way to get to the correct zwift event pages.

1. Click on the link above

2. Click the TdZ button which looks like this Screenshot 2020-01-13 at 23.05.19 to filter the events to just Tour events

3. Click on the title of the event you want to cancel, that will expand the ride details and give you a link to “zwift.com”

4. Click that and you’ll be taken to the zwift page for that event - you’ll see a green tick next to the event you entered - click that and it will turn back into an orange plus sign - you’re now cancelled from that event

Hope that helps

Ok, now I see how I got some info mixed up between the rides and the races.

Thanks, Shuji. I see that now, yeah.

Thanks Paul, that helped! I would have never figured that out…

A post was split to a new topic: Distance shown on group ride seems wrong?

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Distance shown on group ride seems wrong?

Continuing the discussion from Tour de Zwift 2020 Cycling FAQ:

Any women having problems trying to register for tdz on the app? It will only show me women’s rides which is beyond annoying. I had to go via a webpage link to do B mixed group ride as I usually ride with my husband.

Ok figured it out. Changed setting!

1 Like

Is it possible to combine runs and rides to complete the requirements to unlock the cycling kit? I ask because I will be on a business trip during the 7th stage and the make-up week and will only have access to a treadmill.

Has anyone had issues with the ride times being wrong for Stage One?
Looking on Zwift Power, myself and about 10 other riders have times of 23:59:59 which I’ve never seen before.
I may be slow but I definitely wasn’t 23 hours behind the leader!

Hi Graeme,

I assume you joined late. This usually happen when riders join after the ride started.

1 Like

That could be it.
For some reason Zwift wasn’t playing ball today and wouldn’t let me join the ride.

Zwift get very busy with these big events, the trick is to get on your bike early (10-15min early) ride around until you see the Join event in the bottom left corner then around 6 min before the event click Join event. You will be transported to the starting pen where you can warm up a bit more.

Also Pick the event and group in the companion app before opening Zwift.

1 Like