No resistance in climbs / Wahoo Kickr

Its the same problem on windows/mac and ipad, even after managing to do a factory spin down on the wahoo app for android. Have contacted wahoo support for help.

@Mark_Angel-Trueman Did you ever hear back from Wahoo or fix the issue? I am experiencing the exact same issue.

Afraid not. Spoke to wahoo at length and got to proving that it’s definitely a problem with how zwift are sending data to the trainer. Gave up trying to convince zwift support that there is an issue. Fed up getting fobbed off with the same canned responses of doing calibrations and ensuring i am properly connected even after explaining precisely what the issue is.

2 Likes

Forget the Kickr in the Wahoo app. Disable Bluetooth on your phone.

Now pair the Kickr as power and controllable trainer. Do not pair the cadence or HR. Now give it a test.

Once you get that working, you can try adding your cadence and HR. You might find that ANT+ works better than Bluetooth. It really depends on your devices and environment.

I have just experienced this problem

Setup

• Windows10 w/ ANT+ dongle
  • Kickr18
  • Iphone11 w/ Zwift companion
  • DuoTrap cadence/speed sensor
  • Garmin heartrate monitor

Resistance does not change at all if all devices are connected to my windows computer with ANT+ connection.

Resistance changes if I connect Kickr18 through Zwift companion app via bluetooth while cadence and heart rate monitor are connected through windows via ANT+

I’m new to all of this but I am having this problem and I just set everything up yesterday for the first time.

New Kickr Snap
Zwift app on Ipad (running IOS14)

I am not getting any resistance when I’m on hills in the Zwift app. My rider slows way down but there is zero resistance change on my Kickr. I have tried this both with my apple watch being a heartrate monitor via the companion app on my iPhone, and without (where I’m simply running Zwift on the Ipad and that’s it).

I have the latest firmware on my Kickr and the latest version of all the apps.

Hi @Mike_Vinikour

Do you pair your trainer as power and controllable?

Did you try to set your trainer difficulty to 100%

1 Like

I unpaired my Kickr from everything (zwift and wahoo apps), and then rebooted all devices and then only paired the Kickr with my Zwift app on ipad. I was also mindful to make sure it paired like you said and then set the difficulty to 100 percent. I’m happy to report after that my ride today worked as expected and really felt like riding! Thank you!!

@Gerrie_Delport do you use your H3 on 100% trainer difficulty all the time? I have yet to try this on our one H3 that has some issues.

No @Joe_Petrilli_R1K_C

I use 50% because I have a 53/39 chainring and 11-25 cassette. when racing I only use the big chainring and never go to the 39.

This solution worked for me, thanks.

I’m having this problem as well and none of the suggestions I’ve seen in the forums have worked. How do I email zwift? Can you provide an email I can contact? For some reason I’m not able to email through the web site. After hitting “send” I just get the dreaded spinning arrows and the message never sends :confused:

Was this problem ever completely resolved?
I have a Kickr that works fine with Zwift in ERG mode, but, if I turn off ERG mode and just want to ride or try and do an FTP test… the wattage drops and I spin out. I wouldn’t say there is ‘no resistance’ but it’s next to nothing.

I had this same problem last winter, can’t recall if I resolved it or just gave up and road only workouts after that. I have attempted nearly everything on this thread to correct this and tried it on a new Kickr, no luck.

Hi,
Perhaps the link below might provide some insight and solutions?

Having the same resistance issues with my 2018 Kickr. I’ve tried literally every sequence on this thread and not one thing has worked. It does appear to flash blue when the resistance is working, then goes solid blue with no resistance. Feeling completely stumped, and somewhat shocked this thread started in 2018, but here we are:( Anyone find any permanent solutions?

Setup:
2018 Kickr (Firmware 3.5.2)
iPad 6th Gen running iOS 14.7.1

I’m a bit late to the game here, but I just bought the Kickr V5 since it went on sale. I used to ride on an Elite Suito T and it worked great, but I wanted to upgrade cause I’ve heard so many good things about the Kickr V5.

However I’ve been having problems with the trainer. When connecting to Zwift, it looks like it just gets stuck in ERG mode and I pedal in the small ring and 4 sprockets down (a super easy gear) and whether I’m going uphill or downhill, the resistance doesn’t ever change. It’s been hugely frustrating. So I read up on some suggestions here in this thread, tried turning off BT on my phone so it doesn’t connect to the app and unplugged and restarted the machine, but nothing works. I haven’t downgraded the firmware as I feel that shouldn’t have to be the case to fix this problem. Another issue is that it’s near impossible to cycle in any gear on the big ring, never had this issue with the Suito T and almost always stayed in a mid-sprocket on the big ring and it would change resistance just fine on Zwift, but with the Kickr V5 I can’t even seem to cycle on Big-Big (which we’re never supposed to do), and I’m not a beginner! The readouts are also hugely off, on my Wahoo app it reads one kind of speed, and on Zwift something else entirely. Resistance will never change but my Zwift avatar will increase/decrease speed based on whether I’m ascending/descending, and it’s darn near impossible to cycle at a proper wattage and speed on the flats. It’s hard to believe that one of the highest-end trainers out there is bugging out super hard. I just set this trainer up beside my old Suito T trainer so my wife can ride along with me, not sure if the trainers are interfering with one another? I’ve clearly connected the Kickr to Zwift only (or else my wife would notice things out of sync on her end).

It’s 2023 now and this thread started almost 5 years ago and it amazes me there are still people posting about. Any help on this issue? Is this a Wahoo problem or a Zwift problem, or something else entirely?

Hi @mojo_dojo

Welcome to the forum.

Do you pair the trainer As power source and Controllable.

Make sure the trainer is not paired to any other app, Phone or cycling computer head unit.

Hey Gerrie, thanks for responding. So I pair it as power source, Zwift simply scans for devices and connects to the Kickr automatically, and then I just press go. I turned off bluetooth on my phone so it doesn’t connect to the Wahoo app, but that didn’t work either. Don’t use my cycling computer when I use Zwift. Anything else I’m doing wrong here?

you need to pair power and controllable. See the image below.

Hi Gerrie, so that’s all I see when Zwift is connecting to my trainer. Is there anything else I need to do?