L'Etape 2020 - iOS crash

I have exactly same problem. Training ok but race then ipad crashes. I switched to my iphone zwift app and lightening connrctor to hdmi on my tv. Very annoying for L’etape TDF today :frowning:

I have been using my iPhone X to run Zwift and had no problems with crashes since March. I started the L’Tape du Tour stage 1 yesterday and it crashed, I started it again today and it crashed twice. It might be coincidental but each time that Zwift crashes durning the event, is when there has been 2000 people + doing the event I am doing. Has anyone noticed a similar pattern?

As per my earlier post my IPAD crashed as it was going over the finish line, i received email i completed and would get the tour kit, this hasn’t come to me any, do you have an update on this if this will get received?

Rode the 6pm Discovery ride today after 10 failed attempts at Etape yesterday. 410 starters and this time I made it all the way to the finish line. Then it crashed as I crossed it and course time came up. I restarted zwift so it saved the details (power, HR, cadence) but no position details or info on riders around me. Used iPad mini 2 with about 6gb available memory.

Yes this happened to me on Saturday- running iPad mini. Sooo annoying as was really up for it.
Pleare log it with Zwift support everyone so they get a real feel for the numbers of people experiencing the problem. They’ve put it to ‘ technical limitations’ and an ‘overwhelming amount of Zwifters’
There were close to 5000 riders 1200 GMT on Saturday so very popular. However, it’s not the only big event this has happened to me. I didn’t get to start at all, feel very sorry for those who got to the finish line only to get knocked out. This happened to me in a Tour de Watopia event too. It feels like Zwift know about this issue yet still keep promoting these events!
Not sure if I will try again? Maybe in the catch up events , but by then it has lost the initial buzz!
BW all!

did the 6pm Discovery ride on an ipad mini 2. crashed on the finish line and now it’s a generic Watopia saved file when it restarted. Have sent the log to support

My GF has this happen to her once… suddenly the rider flew thru the air to rejoin the road.

I assumed it was due to the server updating the client on the rider position, and the client drawing a line segment thru 3D space to that position, even if that meant going airborne.

The commonality to the majority of cases here is the lack of GPU processing power of the units. For reference I had the same issues on an android tablet. Just not up to repainting the numbers of avatars on screen.

It’s even worse when descending and the avatars are crossing paths with many going the other way.

Tablets aren’t really meant to run such intensive gaming apps, particularly when they reach their graphics rendering limit. Just the way it is, nothing Zwift can really do. On a pc you can turn the graphics down to 720. Can’t on a tablet - ios or android.

For free-riding an ipad or android tablet (with enough power & right chipset to run) then Zwift runs fine. For multiuser events then you’re asking for trouble.

I for one have given up on the TdF Etape. Waiting until the new Apple TV comes out before I attempt any more big events.

S

You’re not wrong, but if Zwift say a device is supported, it should work in all circumstances. Not ‘you can use this iPad, but only for certain types of events’. It’s on them to fix (even that means changing the list of supported devices), not for the end user to have to contend with.

1 Like

Crashed multiple times for me yesterday - twice on start line before race began and then 21mins into the ride (approx 600 riders). I rejoined then exited myself and went and successfully rode in Innsbruck for 90mins.

Wired connection

Running Windows

Hi there,
I had the same issue at the 9am event - crashed 10-11kms in. To answer the questions above: No twitter open and no power up used at the time. It just froze. When I re entered zwift it asked to resume activity and it put me back where I left off in an orange jersey and out of the race. I finished the course and registered 2 extra kms as wasn’t sure where the end was without all the banners visible (And didn’t want to end short) but no kit, no badge, no time. Very disappointing. Please help! I have sent through log files By email and have been asked to follow this thread. I really was looking forward to completing stage 2 this weekend but not sure I want to deal with the drama again. It’s frustrating especially on a tough route!
Thanks

PS was using iPhone running latest update.

1 Like

I sent an email to support yesterday but no one is communicating with me. I will have to wait to do stage 1 and 2 - when this issue is resolved.

Zwift support came back to me this morning and reviewing all the logs files they have been sent to hopefully understand the issue.

So things are moving forward…hopefully get the kit added at well at some point :laughing:

@Stephen_Betley do you think the age of the iPad matters, or simply that any tablet will not have enough processing power for these type of events with so many riders? My 4 crashes this weekend were at the start (2) and then at the bottom of the radio tower descent (2), so backs up your theory of lots of riders crossing each other’s path.

A bit of both. Older iPads have less memory than new ones, but the critical factor is the ability of the chipset. The modern iPads run the A10X upto A12X I think. Older ones run the A5 & A5X which may be capable of running Zwift under minimal processing requirements, but have limitations which put pressure on the system under high load.

The current Apple TV has a graphics optimised A10X chipset. The new one will have a minimum A12X which Zwift will cope with a LOT better.

Any ‘fix’ Zwift can come up for with this will be to drastically stunt the graphics rendering to the point of pixelation. It’ll work, but won’t look nice.

1 Like

The iPad Pro 2018 has an A12X and so far Zwift looks and performs no differently to the A10X Apple TV 4K (based on Zwiftalizer logs). Just in case you are holding on for a big performance boost and/or visual improvement out of the box.

True, but all the rumours are that this will be an graphics optimized A12X with advanced cooling, suggesting a significant improvement on the iPad Pro 2018 performance. That’s what the mac leakers are saying anyway.

It’s aimed at the Apple Arcade market and performance is touted to be on a par with the current PS4. I’m hoping between now and probably September that they can up it to the A14.

I’m certainly not disputing the power of the chip itself, just saying Zwift need to take advantage of it. They’ve not done that up to now (as far as I’m aware), though obviously things could change with the Apple TV being much more widely used than the iPad Pro. I’ve seen a lot of people saying they’re waiting for the new ATV as though it’ll just magically make Zwift better when there’s no evidence of that.

Judging by @Shane_Miller_GPLama videos on the systems: AppleTV vs 4K vs top end windows then Zwift does take advantage of the processing power, albeit in a subtle way by increasing the graphics rendering quality. I expect the 2020 Apple TV to be more on par with the Windows PC he runs. Won’t make you go any faster, but your calves will be buff! :slight_smile:

Getting away from the original post somewhat in that it’s going to be limited what Zwift can do other than stunt refresh rates & graphics quality. The issue is the baseline processing power that Zwift requires vs the effect of high load on low-end systems.

:joy: Good luck with that. :wink:

My point was not that the A12X is incapable of more, but that Zwift would need to program/allow it to do more. Which they haven’t up to now on the iPad Pro which has that chip. But as you say we’re digressing, so I’ll leave it there.

1 Like