iOS Companion app 3.29.0 (1158) issues [SOLVED]

Hi @shooj
Had several meetups in the meantime.
Not being able to communicate on my iPad is a real pain.
Please show some customer orientation and have this fixed.

5 Likes

Probably neverā€¦ Fixing bugs never seem high on Zwiftā€™s priority listā€¦ Let just add ā€œnew featuresā€

4 Likes

Same symptoms over here.
Map opens and closes 1 second later.
Zwift running on latest game version on Apple TV, latest TVOS.
Zwift Companion App running on latest app version (3.30) on iPad Air2, latest iPadOS (15.1).
One month, one app update and 322 posts as of this writing. Nonplussed.
Note: Map works fine on Android device, but that thing is puny and a horrible user experience.

2 Likes

Can i just add that trying to carry the yellow beacon and lead group rides without being able to message the group (because the companion app is not working) is very difficult.

I have tried running the game both on Apple TV and on Windows and get the same issues with the Companion App on my iPad, sometimes Map loads for a few seconds then returns to main CA screen, sometimes is hangs on load with the blue Z screen, sometimes hangs on load with just a white screen.

PLEASE PLEASE FIX. A

5 Likes

Hey ZWIFT, ANY UPDATES AT ALL? ANY COMMENTS FOR THE COMMUNITY ON THIS? ANYTHING? It has been a MONTH with crickets. Goodness.

6 Likes

The companion ap. issues are becoming quite a common topic of chat on zwift group rides now Iā€™ve noticed.

2 Likes

Glad youā€™ve noticedā€¦ā€¦ on all the group rides Iā€™m going there is no chat because no one can access it on the app :rofl:

Zwift really could do with making a statement about it.

1 Like

This does not sound right since many people are on android phones or they use there keyboards on PC.

ā€¦but then again on bigger group rides the chat is still broken by design (can only see messages from the leader and the nearest 100), isnā€™t it?

1 Like

I think itā€™s a combination of the rider number and companion usage, on a ride with over 230 people there were possibly 30 to 40 messages in the hours, where usually itā€™s a constant stream.

Can I suggest we all start writing negative reviews on the App Store for Zwift companion. Then Zwift and possibly Apple might do something about the app not being fit for purpose when used on an iPad.

3 Likes

Done that.

Donā€™t think Apple can or will do something about this. This is a Zwift problem, going on for a month. And they donā€™t care as long as people continue paying. Only way to get them to do something is CANCEL your subscribsion, but people ā€œloveā€ Zwift so much, so they post their frustration on this forum instead. And Zwift donā€™t care, i guess even donā€™t read it.

Perhaps some of the ā€œYouTube influencersā€ should get on the caseā€¦ shame Zwift into fixing bugs

3 Likes

What amaz me is that they not done that already. GP Lama have regulary updates on all the new ā– ā– ā– ā–  they introduce, not a word about one of the most usefull functions in the game been unusable for a month now.

This seem like a bug that only affect a particular group. Not all iOS devices are effected and therefore it is hard to solve if they canā€™t replicate the issue.

So It will help to give more specific information about the setup.

1 Like

Or even acknowledged it.

In the title. and there has been a few interactions from Zwift on this issue in this thread.

1 Like

I can barely bring myself to say this, but even Garmin (notoriously bad customer support) have better customer support than this.

Iā€™m growing in my suspicion that they (Zwift) have very little idea how to resolve this. Their silence at the moment speaks volumes.

People have obliged with requests from Zwift to explain their experiences. This has been done countless times.

Yet here we still are. A month on.

4 Likes

My understanding is that Apple will consult with developers, but that service is not free, and is not for debugging an app, but for how the app runs of the different Apple operating systems. Apple is not going to go through a developers code and find their mistake. The Companion runs, it just doesnā€™t do what it should. Apple isnā€™t going to be any help. They probably should rollback the app versions and rollback any changes on their server side. At least get to a point where the software is stable again, and then add features until it breaks. Preferably on a non-production server setup.

Since people that arenā€™t having the issue, if any, arenā€™t going to come to this thread and complain the apps work, we may never find out that the bug is up the appā€™s butt.

EDIT: I did not experience these issues after I updated my iPad. I have been off the bike since October 28th, until recently, but that ride, everything worked. But, if it is a problem created/caused/enabled by macOS, and they have the membership for it, Apple would likely be able to look at the interaction between the OS and their app(s). It might take Apple a while to respond too. People think beta, and software testing in general is easy, but it can be a real PITA, and still, after months of testing, the product could fall flat on its face after being shipped because of an unknown problem, or a compatibility issue with something that they didnā€™t/couldnā€™t test for. But the anticipation is getting fever pitchā€¦

And now I donā€™t remember when I updated my iPad. Itā€™s been a bad month. Apple isnā€™t signing the older versions of ipadOS, so downgrading to an earlier version isnā€™t possible. DRAT!!!

1 Like