Garmin HRM no signal [SOLVED]

Hi Sue, that’s ok! I see above what you said, and agree that it looks like we are seeing a pattern with the post Halloween problem. Hopefully enough people who are having this problem, and there do see to be lots of threads on it in various places, will up-vote this so that the clever programming minds at Zwift can have a look. Perhaps after the next update the problem will be solved…

Hi Beth, the reply I lost was just to say thank you for your input, but also to say we have a wifi repeater and connection specifically for our bike trainer room, so wifi signal strength is good, and our Apple TV’s and iPhones connect to the same wifi network. We run Companion App off an iPhone 11 Pro and hubby has an iPhone 8s, not sure if this has an impact yet…

I am going to follow the steps here on my iPhone 11 (iOS 14.2), one by one, to see if this helps… (really hoping I don’t need to do the third option!)

I can’t add a link in the forum, so you will need to search up the following in your browser then watch the video…

Search for: “How to fix Bluetooth pairing problem on iPhone 11”

1 Like

This may also help…
Search for:

issues-with-zwift-companion-app-HkWqU6hGB
choose the one from support .zwift .com (I added spaces as links not allowed)

1 Like

Hi @_SueMe, Thanks for the links! I just tried searching for those things for android and was able to add my heart rate monitor as a “trusted device” on my phone, thinking that might somehow have become an issue since the pairing occurs via the companion app on the phone. I just tried to connect up and have the same issue as always. I also tried force stopping and restarting the app… I just sent a message to one of the Zwift Ambassadors, so maybe I’ll get an answer sometime today. I’ll post back, if so.
Also, see the little chain-like icon at the top of the response-writing box (between the quotation marks and the italics symbols)? If you select that you can add a link to your post. I just learned that a few days ago :slightly_smiling_face:

Just to let you know that resetting the network settings on my iPhone XS did not solve the problem. The iPhone 6s continues to work fine.

2 Likes

Same problem as you, it works on my wife Iphone, and stopped working on mine.

1 Like

3 day ago HRM-Dual was working on my iphone 7 with ios 14.1, then stopped working connects but no signal.
HRM works perfect on other iphones and on the Macbookpro Bluetooth, Garmin ANT+.

Did all the tricks, change battery, update to IOS 14.2 , reset network setting, remove add device, reset iphone, etc… nothing works.
Just Finished the Iphone Full Factory Reset, With Backup and Restore from ICLOUD, still the same problem, connects but no signal :frowning:

Do I have to Buy another HRM or another IPHONE or both ?

1 Like

It must be a Zwift issue as twenty minutes into my ride today my windows 10 tablet was picking up garmin speed, cadence and heart rate sensors fine ans then just stopped and gave me the dreaded “connected no signal” reading. Interestingly enough the steering sensor was still working fine, it was just the garmin sensors that lost signal. It’s weird it happened during a session, as windows updates would have been installed before starting and same with Zwift. So not entirely sure what caused it, think I need to check sensors in garmin app.

1 Like

Update: Made another Iphone Full Factory reset, but this time i didn’t make icloud restore, and it worked, finaly I had the BPM.
After that I made restore from my itunes Backup, to get all my back and guess what, same problem again no BPM, no signal.
And this not only affects Zwift companion , have the same problem in all the other apps that use Heart Rate reading.
Don’t know what to do, should be some kind of mysterious setting or bug that now I have saved on the Icloud backup.

1 Like

Hi @Andrew_Comley, so you aren’t using any kind of Apple device in the mix? I was starting to think that most people were having this issue with the combination of Apple/Garmin/Zwift, but maybe not? I just talked to a representative at Garmin and he said he would put a ticket in about the issue and that he thought Zwift is likely aware of it by now, but that if other devices are seeing the HRM, then it is not a problem with the HRM. I have been using my Edge 520 to display my heart rate, and will do so until this gets fixed. I’m glad I’m not interested in racing yet so it doesn’t really matter whether my HRM connects to Zwift or not. My guess is that isolating whatever the cause is is harder than we would all wish.

I too have the same issues. Windows 10 laptop and android OS tablet and phone, none worked. Best I’ve got is intermittent readings from my son laptop. If I use my own laptop, it wont show at all. I’m a new user for only 2 days. Also tried 3 different heart rate monitor, those Chinese made ones which performed flawlessly on my Garmin Edge 520 plus when riding outside. None worked. Changing my router frequencies (which I found on the internet) also didn’t work. Turning off all bluetooth from idle gadgets also didn’t work. Same as turning off all appliances that would possibly interfere with the connection. I’m not going to reset all my laptop, tablet and phone for the sake of something that is not confirmed would work. For me that would be silly.

After seeing posts here, I’m convinced that it’s the issue with the app/desktop software. It’s kind of wasted since one of the purpose for me to ride is to lose weight so calories burned information is paramount for me. Other variables is less important.

Zwift needs to find a solution for this or else they will lose subscribers fast…And I’m one of them

Is that the Garmin strap that is ANT+ and Bluetooth. Are you sure the Garmin strap is not connected/paired to anything else.

You can use ANT+ on windows with a ant+ dongle.

1 Like

IMHO I will say it again that I don’t think this reading error is caused by zwift because if you try any other app it will happen the same. I started with Rouvy and after a few months my iPhone XS did not show the HR anymore although it was connected. Then I tried all other major cycling apps (Fulgaz, Kinomap, Tacx and Zwift) and the result was always the same: HRM connected but not reading the values. My older iPhone 6s still works perfectly with all apps. I am not a technician but I think all our newer devices we use for cycling apps have some bluetooth chip or else that gets in a conflict with the apps and only the apps because it works fine with other devices (watches etc…).

2 Likes

Can someone here help and point to me which is the version of zwift android app that works previously? and where to download it ? Maybe rolling back to previous version would work. I’m talking Android version

Another possible remedy is to use Ant+ protocol instead of bluetooth, buying the dongle and attach it to laptop. I’m talking specifically here for Windows laptop. Have anyone try this method? Ant+ is more stable than bluetooth in theory

I have similar problems with phone (Samsung) communicating through bluetooth a while ago. It has to do with the bluetooth stack. Essentially its the way bluetooth protocol communicated with each other. Some updates frm windows is making the communication keeps dropping. Samsung finally release an update for the phone and it connects again. I’m expecting zwift engineers to fix this, ie. releasing updates

Also have the same problem while using my iPhone 8 with the latest iOS 14.2.

The Garmin dual HR monitor connects but no HR data is shown. This is not only with Zwift, but also Wahoo Fitness app, Sports Tracker etc. I think the problem started after I updated to the latest iOS. Funny thing bit all other gadgets connecting via BLE work just fine (Taxc Neo etc).

No problem when using my girlfriends old iPad for Zwift. Or when cycling outside using garmin edge 530.

As G Thomas put it: ”someone faqqed up”

Has anyone tried this? Does it work? Worth a try at least!

Ok folks, today I ran out and bought another HRM strap, those Chinese made one, Magene. Came back and try it and without me knowing it, my laptop connect to my router at 5ghz channel. It worked !!! Upon realizing it, I tried my other HRM and it works too!! I havent start training yet ,only connect the HRM to my laptop (windows 10). It has been reading consistently and compared to my watch, it measure around the same heart rate +/- 3bpm.

So for those of you that have dual channel router, try connecting it to 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. I will report back once I’m done training today and see if it can maintain the reading without dropouts. For those that is looking to train, appreciate if you could try this and report back the findings.

Good luck

Just finished my training. No more drop outs, HRM stays on through out the ride and recording the data. Average HRM also pretty close matched my watch (huawei). Only difference is calories burned that is way lower than what the watch calculated but I believe its due to the difference in ways on how the watch and Zwift calculated the calories