I concluded that the issue was one with my iPad (or at least the interaction of the iPad with this particular Bluetooth device…I have had no problem with any other Bluetooth device). I set about trying to fix it in in the operating system. I attempted the following
- Turn on and of Bluetooth many times
- delete all other Bluetooth devices
- reboot iPad
- update iOS on iPad
- reset network settings
- as a last resort, factory reset and setup as new iPad (restoring all apps manually). I guess I could have tried a restore from backup, but decided as there was no local data, that I may as well start from scratch
Nothing worked…except the last step…doing the factory reset fixed it, and I just did a ride with hr data again.
No idea on root cause, which is frustrating. It worked fine for 6 weeks, then just stopped for no obvious reason, and doing a factory reset fixed it.
If it fails again (which I am half expecting it to), I may try a restore from backup. I was lucky that I was able to do the,reset,without impact to other data. For others this may be,more,problematic, and may not work.
However wanted to report back on what worked for me