Four Horseman route completed but not badge not earned?

What confused me about Zwift’s response was that it was:

And then I click the reach out link it takes me a support page where there is a link to email support. So I am stuck in a circular loop. And it’s not like this is a free service from Zwift, we have two Zwift subscriptions in our household, and with a paid service you would expect a much level of support than this.

So I don’t understand the post from @xflintx earlier, as emailing Zwift support doesn’t seem to do anything. I’d expect at least a ticket number so I know the issue has been logged.

There seems to be no issue with PRL Full, so I wonder what it is about four horsemen and über-pretzel that differentiates them. I recently did meta-pretzel without problem. It’s been suggested it’s a spawn point issue.

Has anyone checked on Strava to see if anyone matching the segment recently did receive the badge?

Hey, Zwift Support,

I want to help you a little bit with this issue on Uber Pretzel and Four Horseman.

As nothing changes with this case I’ve tried to make my own investigation. The main problem was to understand what should I find in this 250k lines log file. But here is the result:

after update Zwift have problem with triggering first checkpoint while descending from Radio Tower. That’s why you are OK on Mega Pretzel, but have problems with Uber Pretzel and Four Horseman (May be you can also have problems on shorter routes including Radio Tower as segment like Mountain 8, but this have to be confirmed).

Why I think so?

Zwift has 2 counters to track your movement along the route: Intersection Index (1 segment=1 click, usually 1 segment is a part of the road between 2 intersections, but sometimes 2 segments concatenated without intersection) and Check Point Index (between 2 turns can be from 0 to 100/200 check points).

So Uber Pretzel has 89 intersections and 1181 (1157) check points.

As user you can see almost all intersections and this will lead you to the end of your route.

But looks like Zwift tracking badges based on Check Points. While you continuously ride through Check Points this counter increases, but when you miss some Check Point counter stops. For Uber Pretzel it stops at 141 - you start descending from Radio Tower with that amount of Check Points. When you get down and return to main road you should have 149 points, but no - you missed one at the top.

So after 4 more hours after this moment at the top of AdZ you still will have 141 point instead of 1181 and badge will not be awarded.

Why this checkpoint wasn’t triggered requires additional check.

So let’s wait until next update.

Ride On!

PS My special thanks to @Mateo_Zarandy_ZHU_Ou for his log file so I could confirm my hypothesis. He was the only one who wasn’t afraid to share his log file to me.

13 Likes

Good work, makes perfect sense. Why on earth it’s left to customers to hypothesize what the problem is, I do not know.

1 Like

Yes, great work.

But I suspect that if this indeed connected to the Radio Tower then this problem is specific still to the handling of this on the Uber Pretzel and Four Horsemen routes (e.g. side effect of fixing some other issue on those routes). Otherwise we’d be seeing plenty of reports from those riding other RT routes, e.g. Muir And The Mountain.

Could be related to the old ‘world moves a bit between updates’ thing, or even due to the addition of steering. i.e if the rider doesn’t quite pass through whatever the trigger point is.

1 Like

Hey everyone - I’ve seen a bit of feedback in a couple threads about this issue, so I wanted to provide some more context. Please see my response to Courtenay in another thread here. I hope this helps shed a little more light on the issue for you and where we currently are in the whole process.

That’s why I said other routes issue should be checked.
Meanwhile I also saw posts regarding No badge at The Pretzel Route.

On the other hand missing badge on Muir and the Mountain is sad while missing badge on the Four Horseman is butthurt))

I recently completed Muir and the Mountain (after a much earlier attempt where I didn’t realize it starts on the Titan’s Grove KOM, but I digress), so there is some differentiating aspect between Muir and the Mountain and the two longer routes.

It’s strange the counter would get hung up the radio tower with longer routes but not shorter ones.

Now I need to check my Muir and the Mountain log file…

Lots of interesting things happening in the log file for my Muir and the Mountain:

My reading is it triggers a segment, then goes thru a multi-part triggering of the finish arch, then it unlocks my route achievement, then it gives me a powerup for the arch. I also took a screen shot with my companion app, which it notes. Along the way it is frequently updating my maximal power curve on the fly (avoiding post-processing). I also see a lot fo errors – errors loading assets, bad BLE packets, internet communications delayed and ignored. It’s amazing it all works :).

Anyway, Muir and the Mountain didn’t have an issue.

My wild long-shot guess:

there is a line in the log file with the following:

Route Decision State: OFF ROUTE

which indicates the code thinks you’ve deviated from the route and are no longer eligible for an achievement.

================ ADDED =================
Rustem may have identified the issue, as the log files differ at the top of the radio tower between Four Horseman (which doesn’t match) and Muir and the Mountain (which does match). So this appears to my eyes (I’m not nearly as good as him at this) to be a bug.

Basically Muir and the Mountain is fine. 4 Horsemen and Uber are broken.

I checked with a random guy on Strava who matched the segment and he also didn’t get the badge.

But if I worked for Zwift I’d check the route definitions carefully at the top of the radio tower, and if this was updated the last release.

2 Likes

Hi @Rustem_Akmalov_TRS
Fantastic work on this and love the analysis. I’d be interested in whether Zwift themselves would use this to help in their investigations. I appear to have missed your initial request for log files. Happy to provide you with my log file for my Four Horsemen attempt if you’re still interested.

1 Like

Hi all,
As the original creator of the thread, I thought I would provide you with a further update to my interactions with Zwift. After receiving the standard boilerplate response (and obviously being underwhelmed), this was posted to another similar thread by Zwift staff member @xflintx

I do appreciate the response (which I mentioned in my reply), though the line “At this moment in time we actually don’t have a way to award the badges retroactively, which is not a good user experience. We are, however, working on being able to award those in the future. The reason we cannot, in short, is due to a few legacy issues from the early days of Zwift.” is rather troubling. Sounds like our 2 options are going be:

1. re-do the route when the fix is performed (no timeframe on that)
  2. don’t re-do the route and hope a future fix will award badges after the fact (this could quite some time away - my retirement may come before this :astonished:)

Neither option is ideal from a customer experience perspective. Personally I will probably end up doing Option 1.

On the bright side, at least this issue is finally being recognised and being worked on. Big thanks to those who have posted their experience (even if it was a negative one) and voted up this thread.

I shall continue to keep you posted as I receive updates :grinning:

4 Likes

Me too, although you would have to tell me how to do it.

got the same problem, finished the four horsemen this past saturday plus added some km to make sure (total 100km) and … no badge nor xp… :rage:

Same for me yesterday.

Rode the four horseman route - no internet drop outs

No badge Awarded

Grumble, grumble

DId 4 Horsemen on 9/14/20 - went past the finish banner and part of a second loop. DId not get badge. Am getting increasingly frustrated with Zwift. Zwift - get this fixed

1 Like

@xflintx - any update on this issue?

As an aside, I recommend folks check out the Zwift segments website.

It keeps track of which Zwift Insider Confirmed segments you’ve completed, whether or not you were “officially” navigating the route on Zwift, or whether a Zwift bug had you stuck at the Radio Tower.

1 Like

We don’t have a concrete update in the way that I would like to, which would be to say “hey we fixed it and here are the badges.” I wish we did, and I’m sorry.

The real update is much less awesome and potentially not confidence inspiring, depending on your point of view: right now we are looking at ways to tackle those legacy issues I mentioned and be able to avoid things like this in the future. I don’t have a definite timeline, and I’m not sure what the finished product will look like or mean for those of you that put in a good 4-7 hours effort with no reward, but I can assure you that we are in fact working on something.

1 Like