Elevation (grade%) does not match Trainer Resistance

On the current version for Apple TV (1.19?). I just updated to the current Apple TV version today. Now, the displayed elevation on my screen does not match the trainer resistance. Not even close. I have also updated my Kickr Core firmware.

What is strange is say, for example, the screen shows that I am going uphill at 5%. The trainer resistance does not match, it is as though there is a lag (but I can’t figure out by how much), so I can be spinning as though I was going downhill, but my speed appears to be consistent with the watts / effort I am putting in.

It is very frustrating, as it is completely out of sync, and counter-intuitive. So much so that I quit several times (Makuri Islands, New York) thinking maybe it was specific to the map. But no, it is consistent.

This is making me crazy - Zwift, please look into this.

Hi Curt, wondering if what you’re experiencing is related to Wahoo KICKR reversed gradient [October 2021].

Did this problem only appear after the update today? And does it seem in line with the issue in that thread-- i.e. the gradient feels like the reverse of what you’d expect?

Yes, I experienced very similar issues. At first I thought it was a leg and that the trainer resistance was behind what the screen elevation was showing. But later I decided it was more random than that. And I think what you’re finding in that forum is that people cannot put their finger on exactly what is happening.

This only started with me today on the new Swift release on Apple TV, I think that’s version 1.19

I did not experience that issue on a previous release. After I got off the trainer, I saw that there was a firmware upgrade for my kicker core. So I did that upgrade.

Then I got back on the trainer again this evening, did another 20 miles, and everything worked perfectly.

So whatever the problem was, it was resolved. It’s hard to believe that the kicker core firmware update fixed what appeared to be his lift problem, but who knows.

Anyway, thanks for reaching out to me. And I’m glad that it’s resolved, at least for me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I had this problem today, in New York (Highline route)- and I’ve seen it before, only in New York (months ago), and found other mentions of it referring only to New York - gradient out of sync with resistance - could be that it’s only on the transparent roads but I can’t say for sure on that. Also can’t tell if the gradient profile is correct, just offset time/distance wise, or something more complicated, but it manifests as ‘random’ minimal resistance on steep sections and huge resistance on flat or down sections. It is not simply reversing the gradients, the problem fluctuates. I asked in the game chat if anyone else was experiencing it at the time and a few folks said yes, but not a lot of confirmation considering how many were in the world at the time. Did not experience it in Makuri or Watopia where I also did rides today. It’s super obvious when it happens - e.g. massive resistance on a downhill, and inability to generate significant watts on steep climbs (spinning out).

Update Zwift, if you haven’t. But my issue was that I needed to update my Wahoo KICK Core. After that, re-start your trainer, re-start Zwift, and in my case, all was good.

Best of luck.

1 Like

Thanks for the response - all software & firmware is up to date, and even a trainer reboot and re-pairing while it was happening didn’t help in my case…only ever experiencing this in New York (and not in other worlds the same day with the same config) and seeing other reports specifically referencing NY (including someone riding at the same time who was also experiencing it…but not everyone…) makes me think this particular problem might not be client side device/software related and instead some obscure transient glitch related to that world (perhaps even something to do with its non-standard roads)…but, maybe it’s just more obvious there because of the more extreme gradient shifts. It’s all pretty peculiar. It’s not a just case of the trainer not changing the gradient, there are clearly purposeful changes that stick for some distance and then change again…the problem is the changes are out of sync with the road. Although, when it results in totally spinning out without being able to generate any watts, at low trainer difficulty but while still going very slowly (nominally uphill), that’s not consistent with even an extreme downhill… that behavior IS more like something to do with the trainer’s brains being scrambled…but it doesn’t just get stuck like that, it changes as you move along. Anyway…this particular ride was my last NY route badge so I guess since it bugs me so much I’ll just not ride there :slight_smile: