Effort on downhills Saris H3

I use the zwift app on my cell phone (S9+). All connections to the trainer (H3) are blue tooth.
Connect over data plan when at home and use the wifi when at work (Fire station 24hr shifts). I cast using wifi to a tv screen.
I used my laptop setup and it works just fine… only problem is the laptop is old and lags and freezes at times. I lost 30 seconds twice today in a short race on zwift.

Hi @Shane_Schantzenbach

There is currently a issue where Zwift does not control the H3 over Bluetooth from a Android telephone.

Hi Gerrie, the trainer is a Saris H3, updated and calibrated as of last week, connected to Apple TV via Bluetooth. The only other Bluetooth connection is a tickr hrm. When doing free rides or meetups occasionally the resistance will not match the profile. For instance on a -5% descent the resistance will be almost too great to pedal. Then not register any climbing the next hill and the avatar will stop.

It can be that the ATV has the same Bluetooth issue as android.

We are still having this problem. Zwift is slowly pushing us away. This morning it wouldn’t even let me open a support ticket. The circle just spun forever. ERG mode is not working and resistance is not matching terrain while free riding. This happened at Zwift last update. It seems unacceptable
to not fix it three weeks later.

1 Like

Please have patience, the entire team is working from home.

1 Like

Just confirming that I’m having the same issue. I really miss feeling the grade because it makes if feel more real.

On another note…does anyone feel a vibration in the unit while pedaling? It keeps keeps turning off and on as i ride.

2 Likes

Just adding my name to the list of users this is affecting. Hoping the more users that you are aware if the more people zwift out onto resolving the issue.

I’m using a H3 with Android 10 on Mate 20 pro. I’m able to connect to the H3 s power cadence and controllable trainer via Bluetooth but getting the blue light and no change in resistance switch change in grades.

Thanks to the zwift team for continued efforts working to resolve this issue. Do you have a timeframe? I’ve just started my 30 day free month and looks like I’ll be wasting it if I can’t use the controlled resistance!

2 Likes

I am having the same issue, but I have found that if I unplug the trainer in game and plug it back in, it will clear up the problem till the next ride. I do this every ride. As a test, I paired my vector3 pedals to companion app for power and cadence and let hammer just do controllable and it works fine all the time. My setup is H3 with AppleTV 4K.

Also, the spindown test has been broken for the same time. It makes me push close to 250w to get to 23mph, the says “keep pedaling” indefinitely. I’ve kept pedaling for up to 7 minutes at that effort and it never completes the test.

I have having the same issue. Mine started at the beginning of April as with many people here. I was able to clear it up in the middle of April by switching wifi, my router has a dual band wifi. They were always on the same wifi but I switched from one to the other and it worked for about three weeks. After the most recent update, I am back to the same problem, Zwift not controlling my H3. I have a new lap top with windows 10 and and a galaxy S10 for the companion app. I am trying different things, asking my kids to stop using wifi and turn off all bluetooth etc. but nothing works so far.

I will keep trying but would be nice to be able to log in and have it work every time as it should.

Add me to the list. I am hitting some crazy speeds in Meet ups. And some terribly slow speeds on the flats… I am using my ipad via bluetooth.

Hi @MRPopp

welcome to the forum,

There is a issue regarding the H3 and bluetooth on android, I don’t know if it apply to Windows Bluetooth as well.

What I can tell you is The H3 on windows 10 using a ANT+ dongle does work.

Zwift is working on the problem. But it is more challenging with everybody working from home and not having access to all the trainers in HQ

Also, because this error I get booted from my meet ups for hitting pro speeds.

Hi @Gerrie_Delport,

Thank you for the response and I will try this for my ride this afternoon. I do have an ANT+ dongle.

Just so I set this up right when I do try this, do I use the companion app or not? Do I choose FE-C option or just the Hammer option when choosing which controllable option I pick? Any insight is always helpful.

Thank you again for the assistance.

1 Like

You don’t need the companion app for connecting the trainer.

Yes use the FE-c option for Power and for Controllable.

If you have a USB extension use that to get the dongle close to the trainer.

Adding my name here to the list of others. Saris H3 not matching gradient on zwift and making me pull out some crazy watts to keep going on both inclines and descents.

Set Up: saris H3 connected Bluetooth to ATV

@Gerrie_Delport thank you for your messages so far on this thread and others! I am new to zwift - can you direct me to some info on fluid trainer setup/non controlled? Many thanks!

Are you saying you don’t see the problems with elevated resistance on downhills by unplugging and plugging back in while the game is on? Or were you having problems where Zwift wasn’t controlling resistance on your H3 at all?

Been 1.5 months and am still dealing with this crap. Have no idea what gear to use now.

The spindown is a known issue to Zwift. I emailed support about that back in April and got a response that there’s an issue with Zwift that is causing the roll down calibration of a Hammer to fail. Took forever to get a response but I eventually got one.

Thanks,

@Matthew_Fennon

I hope there is a fix soon, the H3 is an awesome trainer.

You can pair it only as a power source, that way it will act as a Fluid trainer. So it wont change resistance, but as you change gears you will be able to generate more power.

1 Like

When it is reversing the resistance so it is harder on downhills, unplug the trainer while riding in Zwift, plug it back in and keep riding. It pairs very fast via Bluetooth with my AppleTV.

1 Like

I ordered an Ant+ dongle this afternoon. Amazon says it will be here Friday.

1 Like