Auto set FTP

It’s different in the sense that zFTP is an estimation coming from your current power curve data analysis (last 60 days). It assumes you have done maximal efforts. If you haven’t, the estimation will not be accurate.

FTP is the value that either you enter manually, because you know the value (field test, laboratory test, etc.) or that the Zwift game returns after you have done a ‘formal’ test (20 min. power or Ramp test). So it’s basically the value that you want defined on your profile, that you assume to be correct.

In case you have done maximal efforts within the last 2 months, in a variety of durations, ranging from 30 seconds to at least 12 min., we encourage the user to set their FTP to the zFTP value.

2 Likes

Thank you and that is very helpful. But since Zwift does do a regular FTP estimate as well, I am not sure which one I should be using. The last time mine changed it was 210, but my zFTP is 233. If you are saying we should change our workout screens FTP to what the zFTP is, it means there are three competing systems on Zwift: A real FTP test, an estimated FTP, and a zFTP.

This changes things a lot for me. So as I understand it is the zFTP is a calculation based on scientific research (probably a paper that we can reference) to determine FTP using more various data points on the Power curve.

What are you referring to “regular FTP estimate”?

I only see two systems:

• the “real” FTP that you determined with a test (or that you know from other source) and that you can set on your profile or is set automatically after a test on Zwift.
  • the zFTP that we estimate from your stored data.

Not to be pedantic, but the original FTP wasnt just 95% of 20min effort which is essentially Zwifts FTP representation.

The original FTP test (as per the workout FTP) has the 5 min lactic shuttle involved in it prior to the 20min test.

FTP should be solely about training zones.

Race value to define starting or pen category should be called what it represents.

1 Like

Occasionally after a ride, not necessarily a race, there will be a message that your estimated FTP has changed. The workout slider changes to reflect this number (that’s why I started this thread). The last time I saw that message, it was 210 (I think). But that number is not the same as zFTP.

1 Like

you don’t have to do a test for zwift to update the FTP value.

1 Like

What changes a lot? I don’t understand.

zFTP is determined based on several points of the power curve, sometimes starting in 5 min. up to 40 or 50 min. (or less) depending on what we determine is the best maximal fit for the curve.
if you haven’t done maximal efforts of at least 12 min. within the last 60 days, then you shouldn’t consider it accurate.

1 Like

I wouldnt use that as the sales pitch for ZFTP :wink:

Let’s call this zFTP another name with reference to what it does…

It allocates you to a race/TT pen in Zwift only.

zPen. :wink:

2 Likes

sorry I was not clear. my bad. (i was agreeing)

What I was getting at was that your definition made a lot of sense and if that is the case then it makes calling it zFTP 100% correct.

I just wanted to check that this is indeed a scientific method that has been tested and hopefully publicly available.

Exactly.

Calling it something that doesn’t include the letters F, T and P (in that order) means that people are more likely to look to see what it means than simply making an assumption because they’ve heard a very similar term before.

3 Likes

Not sure I follow the logic here…

Define an all out effort?
A race effort will rarely be all out for 12 mins as it is to on/off (NP maybe but its not measuring that)
TT effort maybe - but how many TT efforts are 12 mins.

Is there a 12 min protocol? Coopers test in running, im not sure if there is one in cycling.

If you have the time, I can recommend the following reading :wink: : Anaerobic threshold (FTP): why you might be overthinking it — INSCYD

1 Like

I have read a bunch of INSCYD stuff. I also done a bunch of their workout. My Coach is a big fan.

Thanks @DavidP I will make time. :slight_smile:

There are 3 that I can see:

1. FTP done with an actual FTP test, or input by the user.
  2. Zwift’s estimate of your FTP based on just riding around (which updates your FTP for workouts - this is the one that gives you the “you’re FTP is updated” prompt, but is not based on an actual FTP test)
  3. zFTP which uses multiple points on your power curve based on your stored data. This does not update your FTP for workouts etc., but will be used for Category Enforcement.
1 Like

I think #1 and #2 are the same thing 95% of 20 min. A full FTP test may be more accurate but they are both recorded and saved in the same place.

I think #1 and #2 are the same thing 95% of 20 min. A full FTP test may be more accurate but they are both recorded and saved in the same place.

Yes, that’s correct

I don’t think so - #2 is really not going to be set via a max 20 min effort for the vast majority of people (unless they happened to do it on a 20 min TT). So, if someone is using #2 to set their zones it’s probably the least accurate of the 3.

1 Like

As I said #1 is probably more accurate. But the main point is #1 and #2 is one metric that is recorded.

We could compare Short and long and Ramp and all other tests as well and call all of them also different FTP systems.

But in Zwift we only had one FTP value and it could be set in various ways. Now we have another called zFTP.