Apple TV 4k remote issues

It’s not an intermittent bug IMHO. The current Apple TV remote is a bad design, whether you’re using Zwift or not. You’ll find Apple TV users without Zwift complaining about it. But it does work better outside of Zwift. Inside of Zwift it depends on what screen you’re on (e.g. selecting workouts is a nightmare) and how many selectable items you have.

I think that the difference in reports is due to two factors, first the screens that people typically use in Zwift (depending on their activities), and secondly their technique with the remote (yes, it does matter).

The remote hasn’t been implemented properly in Zwift, hence why these problems are more acute in Zwift. But you can be outside of Zwift on Apple TV and it can still feel quite fiddly to use, just not as bad as the worst examples (e.g. workout selection) in Zwift.

Hi Steve, if you think there is not a bug with Zwift and Apple TV interface then that’s because you have not experienced the BUG.
Please hear what people are saying and not ignoring them. There are two camps. People with remotes that work in Zwift and people that have remotes that don’t work in Zwift but work in all other apps. The people with remotes that don’t work will tell you that it works in other apps and people that have remotes that work in other apps but DONT work in Zwift. My remote was one that didn’t work in Zwift but now it does.
So please stop telling people with non working remotes in Zwift that is bad in all apps. If you had the issue with Zwift you would understand. If you had the issue it doesn’t work in Zwift. When you have a non working remote It is just about possible to select major windows in Zwift but you have no chance to select routes or workouts etc. The cursor jumps from window to window as if someone else is controlling it. It has a 10-20 second delay between action and and movement. When its not working it is almost impossible to use. If you had experienced this you would know and not be saying it bad in all apps. Its not the best remote but when its working it works. If you had the problem it doesn’t work in Zwift.

I’ve already highlighted workout selection as one of the worst issues. I have that same issue myself.

But please point me to posts where others are reporting a 10-20 second delay between action and movement of rhe selected item. That’s the first I’ve heard of that, and sounds like a faulty unit, as David suggested.

Hi Steve.
This is my observation. At first the lag looks like random movement but I think its just a very long lag. Its not just the workout that is almost impossible to use. All the sub menus are almost impossible to select, such as selecting a friends to ride with. Try going to the garage and changing kit etc.
Now my remote works I can do all these things that were impossible before when it was not working.
If it was a faulty unit it would not have worked in any app and this was not the case it worked in every other app. This issue was only evident in Zwift.

Bob, to me it sounds like the intermittent fault is in your remote. I don’t recall anyone else reporting such “now it works, now it doesn’t” behaviour. Nor do I recall anyone reporting this long lag that you report.

@Bob_Hughes1

I suggest you take your Apple TV back and get one with a working remote rather than wait 6mo for the “intermittent bug” to sort itself. I have over 3yrs on the Apple TV 4K w/Zwift and have never seen such a bug. Is the remote difficult and/or crap like many say, I’d lean towards yes. But, it is usable w/some patience and correct technique.

1 Like

lol As I said it is a bug that you either have or you don’t. You obviously don’t have it. The Apple 4K TV works fine. The bug is in Zwift/Apple TV interface. Because you don’t have it doesn’t mean it dose not exist. Just look at the comments on this thread and you will see loads.
I used to be a application programmer and as such you need to take note of feedback including some that are difficult to replicate.
There is a bug in the interface. Its not hardware. I would bet its in open GL as this is probably the only App on the Apple TV that uses this tool to keep the code hardware independent.
The Apple TV remote is not the best but it works on all the other apps. When its working on Zwift it work the same as all other apps, when its not working it is almost impossible to use. The two states are very different.
But thanks for your concern.

Try Rouvy and RGT, it’s the same “problematic remote” as in Zwift.

Never had a single issue with the remote ‘bug’ to which you are referring in over two years. It definitely sounds like you have a faulty remote.

As I keep saying the hardware is fine. If it was hardware it would be consistent across all apps. This is diffidently a bug. Just read the posts. There are many many comments that have the same issues. I’m lucky in that what ever the issue was its now fine. The issue was only apparent on Zwift. ALL the other apps worked fine. I have about 20 apps including 4 cycling apps, RGT, FulGaz and ROUVY. All of these have worked with the Apple 4k TV remote with no issues. All of the other apps have worked with the hardware without any issues. This is NOT a hardware issue. People have been complaining about this issue for about 2 years. So please don’t tell me this is a hardware issue or that people can’t use the remote. The remote works fine in all other apps. Its a BUG with the interface between Zwift and Apple. As stated before, very few apps use Open GL as it is CPU hardware dependent and can’t use GPUs but works across many platforms. I would say the issue is in the Open GL to Apple interface library. These intermittent issue are very difficult to find.

1 Like

Hi Steve. Thanks for this but I know how the remote works. It works fine now in Zwift, the same as it dose in all the other 30 or so other apps I have on the Apple 4K TV. The issue was for about 6 months it didn’t work in Zwift. It worked in every other app. Then for some reason it started working in Zwift as well. Please read other posts that also have the same issue I had. It didn’t work. There is an issue that needs sorting.

I never said there wasn’t an issue that needs sorting.

Hi Steve. Sorry misunderstood. Just had so many people telling people who have the issue that their not using the remote correctly. It has been driving me up the wall.

In regards to the Apple TV 4K not working with Zwift …Did you ever find out why it just suddenly started working.
Mine is still driving me nuts

Hi John. No sorry, I still have no idea. Its still working well. The remote is not perfect but works the same as other with apps now. I still get people telling me that there is no problem with the remote is just the way you use it. I just wish there was a way to let these people experience what its like when its not working in Zwift. All I can say it keep trying it, hopefully it will start working for you soon.

Thanks for your response brother. And happy Friday

December of what year? :wink:

So I eventually lost patience with the Apple remote and jumped up and down on it with my cleats… oh that was a cathartic experience. How anyone but a rabid apple fanboy could defend what is a total piece of overly aesthetic and under-engineered sh&t is beyond me. As for the “have patience”, “learn how to use it” comments, FFS, they charge $60 for a replacement, it should work itself for that price.
Anyway, now I’m stuffed with no remote control and unless anyone has any suggestions for an (obviously non-Apple) alternative I’ll be forced to cancel my Zwift subscription.

Could try the new remote. It’s not cheap. Can’t promise it’ll be any better. But otherwise no, no other input device works with Zwift. Aside from the iPhone control centre thing.