Apple TV 4k remote issues

I bought an Apple 4K last weekend. Cranked up Zwift quickly. Watched a Youtube Video for some Zwift tips for AppleTV. Once i learned how to properly use the trackpad on the remote, it’s been flawless for me.

2 Likes

Wait, you ounce like you’re suggesting there is a ‘way to use the track pad’ that I’m missing. I’d be interested to know what that way is, or where I can read about it

@gordon_robb1 I was putting my finger on the remote track pad and trying to make it work like I would on a Mac or my PC touchpad. The remote with Apple TV track pad took a little different technique. It seems to work better when you touch it a bit firmly (no click) and then move your finger in one swipe. It doesn’t have a cursor like a Mac, but the selection choices are easily scrolled through - routes, ride with, workouts, etc.

Once I got this down, it was much more enjoyable. I will say the first day I had ATV and didnt know how the remote worked, I was ready to toss it entirely. Now, it’s working great.

I simply searched YouTube for AppleTV + Zwift and there were a couple helpful instructions.

It’s interesting that you’re getting it to work. But I’d imagine you weren’t getting the remote to work in other apps the way you were doing it. The tap and flick (as I call it) is how to use the remote, and that is what is working in everything on Apple TV, other than in Zwift (for most folk). For the record it is not that it doesn’t work at all, it is that it is hit and miss whether you land on the button you want.

1 Like

Gordon,

Recently I came to the conclusion that flick doesn’t work and leaves you with the Roulette wheel experience. Touch and slide works just fine. I was amazed!

1 Like

@_Ellie please don’t waste peoples time here, saying you’ve got the remote to work flawlessly, when you use the trackpad “correctly” or whatever. Sure it helps a little to slow down the trackpad’s speed but we need to get a fix from Zwift for it’s software on AppleTv. But this is nothing user have to “tune” or “configure” to get AppleTv’s remote control to work. It will never work as it’s supposed to without Zwift actually fixing the problem. Zwift’s software is simply not working correctly on the AppleTv and I’ll explain below.

Zwift’s UI is fundamentally broken on AppleTv and if you read through these posts, in this forum you will see that Zwift has already acknowledged that it’s broken and they are going to fix it, but the fixes will come screen-by-screen, not the whole UI at the same time. Obviously they’ll try to fix the workout-selection screen as a first step.

I’m a software engineer myself and the problem with Zwift is that they did not create a specific version of Zwift for Apple’s tvOS like they should have done in the first place, and that’s also partially the reason why no 3rd party remotes work inside Zwift on the AppleTv, but they work on every other app you try on your AppleTv.

I’m still in direct contact with one of Zwift’s key-employee and I’ll update this thread when they actually start working on the fix that’s been a long time coming.

Have a good day

6 Likes

Ooh, I’ll give that a go.

Hi:

Can the Zwift representative please do the following? Create some sort of proper answer record or application note that clearly describes and acknowledges the problem, along with any temporary workarounds?

I also have the exact same problem describe with the remote for Apple 4K TV. Remote seems to work just fine for all other applications except Zwift. It’s nearly unusable with Zwift. I don’t think reading through a stream of complaints and random user ideas and advice is a good way to address the problem.

Thanks
Scott

I have now learnt how to use the remote and my interactions with zwift is much better. There are two types of movements, a flick from the top of the track pad to move between menus and a swipe from the center to move slowly inside menu items.

1 Like

I hole heartedly agree. Assuming these forums are run by Zwift, we could do with them saying something about it.

two things about you’re comment, firstly, you have at best figured a workaround to the problem as there is no need for any kind of ‘figuring out’ how to do things with the remote on any other app. Therefore, you haven’t ‘learnt’ how to use the remote - the Zwift app has a problem. And secondly, having tried your suggestion, I find no discernible difference between any kind of movement (flick or slow) regardless of where on the pad you do it. I was trying to select a ride and a gentle slow movement down, selected the next ride: the exact kind of movement up, skipped up anywhere between 2 and 5 rides. Maybe I need to ‘learn’ how to use the remote?

just ‘upgraded’ to an AppleTV 4K from my iPAD - and OMG controlling it is awful.

I hope this gets resolved / fixed soon

1 Like

Gordon, I suggest you learn how to phrase your comments more carefully as you come across as a complete d***. Firstly, I don’t work for zwift or apple so the remote issues are not of my making. Secondly, I’m sorry you are unable to control the remote, I understand it is frustrating, I had the same issue. I am now using the techniques I described and find it much easier. I had hoped that people would find it useful and maybe others will.

1 Like

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound like a ■■■■. I shouldn’t have commented before having my coffee this morning. However, you are the second person that has used the phrase ‘have learned how to use the remote’, ie suggesting that the people experiencing issues are doing it wrong. I didn’t think you worked for Zwift or Apple. What I was trying to say is there is zero question about the fact that the Zwift app, on Apple TV, has issues with the remote. And while there are techniques you can use (work arounds) that make it a little better (which I use btw), it still has major issues. My only reason for commenting on this thread at all, was I was hoping that Zwift would at least offer some kind of response that we know they are doing something about it.

1. Turn down the sensitivity
  1. Practice/play w/the remote in Zwift when you’re not actually in a rush to ride in order to get used to its nuances.
  2. Have a bit of patience.

Yes, you shouldn’t have to do these things for only Zwift. In my case, after I turned down the sensitivity, I have rarely had any issues using the remote.

:joy: Been this way since Zwift debuted on the Apple TV, a bit over 3yrs now.

Hi! Just bought a used ATV 4gen (HD) with the older silver remote as I thought it would not matter what remote I have. Turns out I should have read this thread before…

1. Do I have any chance using any remote app on android phone?

2. If no. 1 is not an option, is the app usable (even somehow) with an iphone? Is the remote app an app in iOS as default or do I need to install some remote app?

3. This is unbeliavable…

There’s no remote app for Android. There used to be a remote app for iOS but it’s built in now, it requires iOS 11 or newer.

1 Like

There are some 3th party remote apps for android.
However those apps will not work in Zwift.

In my view they should remove the Apple TV from list of supported platforms. It clearly does NOT work without ridiculous workarounds.

Or, you know. Make fixing it a priority before doing anything else. I’m sorry, but 3+ years of these issues should be a source of embarrassment for the team.

Do you actually use Apple TV to run Zwift? I do, and it works GREAT! Perhaps the remote operation isn’t the best, but I’ll take it over the myriad more issues I see on the Forum about people having issues connecting to their devices.

5 Likes