Alpe du Zwift prize list

You mean like this: 138.7 km Ride Activity on July 30, 2015 by Paul H on Strava

4028m climbed on the Watopia forward KOM

3 Likes

If you want to attempt Alpe twice and get the prize wheel both times, can you just turn around once you exit the gate at the bottom? Or do you need to exit?

You can turn little before gate (when map change view, point when Alpe starts) :slight_smile:

Got wheels on 2nd attempt. I think itā€™s random, but weighted toward helmet/gloves.

3 Likes

In the spirit of a classic applied mathematics paper from Harvard tabulating the actual probabilities of throwing dice over one million throws, Iā€™m looking forward to an empirical test of the probabilities from Zwift Insider.

The random number generator/algorithm/function they use must be horrible. IIRC, I got the 25x Alpe Badge before I got the Lightweight Wheels. Meanwhile, I was getting the gloves something like 2 out of 3 rides.

I think, though, that whatever function they use is randomized across ALL Zwifters, so perhaps those folks who get the wheels on the first or second ascent offset how long it took for you to get them.

When you look at the wheel of fortune itself it looks like the wheels occupy 1 of 8 possible locations on the wheel. IF there really is an equal opportunity of landing on any space 1 in 8 odds. No way to tell if there really is an equal chance of landing on any one spot thoughā€¦ thatā€™s a Zwift secret.

Each spot appears to be equal chance (1/8) but some items appear more than once on the wheel, so the chances of getting gloves (3/8) and helmet (4/8) are much higher than the wheel (1/8).

1 Like

Hmm, I got the wheels on my second try, but I sacrificed a virgin sheep before starting the ride. Iā€™ll have to try going up more often and see what I get.

Thatā€™s the thing about random. :smiley:

RNGsus loves you!

Yeah pseudorandom isnā€™t great. Depends how itā€™s seeded in my (relatively limited) experience. Whenever Iā€™ve tested for my own applications, itā€™s been good (unpredictable) enough. I dare say the language in use matters though, and Iā€™ve never tried using Javascript for randomisation.

Sure, the ā€œlanguage in useā€ being Javascript was intended to cover that insofar as if I did randomisation in a JS script I could, as far as I know, get a different implementation depending on which browser was being used (or other JS runner). So what I thought was fine in Chrome might not be fine in something else. Iā€™m speculating though. =)

Iā€™ve only ever tried C, C++ and PHP - the latter being implemented in C anyway. But in any case, they were still unpredictable enough for my purposes. I might think differently if I needed higher quality randomisation for some cryptographic purpose, but like I said, my experience in randomisation is quite limited. =)

Wow. That seems way out of whack compared to what most experienced. You keep getting the 1000XP at the top once you had the wheels? That is a 33 mile bonus! If you consistently get the wheels that XP will have you at level 50 in no time?!?

Ok, maybe the odds do change once you have them.

oh no, gloves again
Thatā€™s me! But I do not climb the AdZ very oftenā€¦
:fearful:

It took me 12 times up the Alp before I got the wheels then I would get them every 3rd or 4th trip.
I like the 1000 XP bonus.
I never use the wheels.

Curious as to why you wouldnā€™t use them when you climb up AdZ?

I have been up 9 times now and still no luck.

I donā€™t seem to notice a significant climbing advantage but I do notice a significant decrease in aero drafting.
I guess if I did an Alp race, I would use them.
Iā€™m going to try to get the under an hour badge so I might use them then.
On a race , such as in Innsbruck, I think I prefer the Tarmac Pro with 454 wheels.

I got the wheels on my second climb up the Alpe du Zwift, I did it while on the Four Horsemen ride, I wonder if that has any factor to the randomness of the wheel, it was a ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  of a ride.

1 Like