Zwift run pod pairs but avatar does not move

Although I enjoy running with zwift, I find the zwiftpod unreliable. In the last month, I have changed the battery already 3 times.

Today my zwift pod pairs (on apple tv and ipad), but I cannot get the avatar to move. Very frustrating. My husband used the pod today, and he had no problems. I have tried resetting the pod (removing the battery, waiting 15 minutes and replacing it), logging out of the app, turning off all bluetooth potential apps (to make sure there is no BT interference). I don’t know what else to do. I’m pretty frustrated and am thing about buying the garmin run pod!

Hi Janick,

I certainly understand your frustrations and I’ll offer some suggestions which may help.

Before you invest in a Garmin Footpod, make sure you have an ANT+ dongle and since most Garmin devices are only supported for use with Zwift when paired via ANT+, the Garmin footpod is only directly compatible with Zwift on a computer that meets Zwift’s minimum requirements.

Zwift includes partial support for ANT+ on iOS/tvOS, the exception being that you cannot get controlled resistance from a smart trainer. If you’re planning on using ANT+ on iOS/tvOS, you have only two recommended options to bridge the signal:

Viiiiva Heart Rate Monitor.
NPE CABLE: You can find a helpful setup video here on YouTube.​

Typically these RunPod issues can be resolved by following the correct sequencing for pairing the RunPod to the app.

1. First, please try to update the Zwift Runpod using the Milestone app on your Android or iOS mobile device.
  2. If you’re using an Android device, check the Google store for the Milestone app update.
  3. If you’re using iOS, check the App store for the milestone app update.
  4. After you’ve downloaded and updated the Milestone app to the current version, try to sync your Zwift Runpod to the milestone app.
  5. Once it syncs up, the Milestone app should provide you with a firmware update. Please install the firmware update.
  6. Please follow the next series of steps precisely, which should help to get your RunPod working.
  7. Force close all apps on your mobile device (iOS or Android) and close any apps or software which may potentially be connecting to the RunPod.
  8. Ensure that all nearby Bluetooth devices are powered OFF (e.g. BLE headphones, speakers, mouse, keyboard, treadmill, etc…)
  9. Remove the casing and extract the battery from the RunPod.
  10. If you haven’t replaced the battery recently, please use a new battery.
  11. Ensure there is no debris, dust, moisture on our around the battery and no debris, dust, moisture inside the battery socket of the RunPod.
  12. Leave the battery out of the RunPod for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  13. Re-seed the battery into the RunPod and securely twist the covering back into place (it may not “snap” into place, but ensure that you’ve twisted it completely shut using a small coin or screwdriver).
  14. Now attach the RunPod to your shoe.
  15. Launch the Zwift app on your device (iOS, Apple TV, Mac, or Android). If using a mobile device for Zwift, ensure that Bluetooth is enabled and WiFi or Mobile data is available.
  16. If you’re using a Windows computer and Windows BLE isn’t working, I recommend turning it off​​, then trying to pair your devices using the Zwift Companion app on your mobile device (Android or iOS) as a BLE bridge. We’ve written a guide for connecting via BLE in the article “Pairing to Zwift with Bluetooth LE (BLE) Before a Ride​.”
  17. Login to Zwift and navigate to the Paired Devices screen.
  18. If the Zwift RunPod doesn’t automatically pair to the app, make the appropriate selections at the pairing Screen to pair under “RUN SPEED” and “CADENCE”.
  19. Once you’ve successfully paired the RunPod, feel free to turn on any other Bluetooth devices you may need or want to use. NOTE: Using numerous extra Bluetooth devices may potentially create signal interference and cause problems with your RunPod’s connection to Zwift.
  20. Set the speed on the treadmill to a pace you’re comfortable holding for at least one minute (I recommend at least 3 mph) and start running.
  21. You should see the mph or kph indicator display your running speed where your device is paired under “RUN SPEED”, which means that the RunPod is transmitting speed and cadence information to Zwift.
  22. Press OK to finish pairing your RunPod, make your Drop-In screen selections, and press the “RUN” button to start a run activity.
  23. Your avatar should now be moving in-game.

If you’re still having troubles after giving those steps a try, please submit a support ticket if you haven’t already done so, and one of our support agents will be happy to take a closer look at this matter.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I submitted a support ticket last week, and the problem was solved. I had never updated my pod with the Milestone app. When I ordered the pod (via zwift), it wasn’t mentionned that was part of the setup. Anyways, I did download the Milestone app, updated my footpod, recalibrated it with the zwift app, and problem solved.

1 Like

Where do you get the app? It seems to be gone now and I am having the same non-moving avatar problem

5 Likes

Same. I had been using the footpod and now it doesn’t work. Interestingly, it registers a running cadence in the upper left of the screen, but the avatar never starts running and the run won’t register. Did the bluetooth on/off and all that as well. — Went to get the app and it says now available in my region. In New England in the US. Very frustrating.

1 Like

I also cannot get my avatar to move. I am using android and tried two different devices. My pod will connect to the app but doesnt register I’m moving. I cannot calibrate it either. I have watched the videos, removed the battery, and nothing. It’s very frustrating. I also contacted zwift but I didnt get any help. The just offered the video …

Hi @Beth_Bryant welcome to Zwift forums!
Shuji at ZwiftHQ here. I see in your session logs that the problem happens on a Samsung S10e smartphone running Android 10, is that right?

Android changed their privacy settings with Android 10. Apps that need to access the Bluetooth radio to work correctly must be given permission to access the Locations folder when you first run the app. If you deny this permission, the app may not start at all, or start but fail to use the Bluetooth circuits.

This CNET article shows you where to re-enable the Locations permissions. Would you verify that’s done, please? If that’s not the culprit, we can dig deeper.

1 Like

I have verified that zwift app does have access to locations. I’ll try again later to see if it works.

It still will not register I’m moving for the calibration or game!

@Beth_Bryant

Thanks for verifying that the game app has permissions to access the Bluetooth radio in your Samsung. When the avatar doesn’t move, it’s in one way or another related to poor signal between the treadmill (or bike trainer) and the computer that’s running the game app.

In your case, I’m seeing the Runpod is connected via Bluetooth LE (aka “BLE” ). However, your most recent (partial) log file recorded intermittent interruptions in the BLE connection. You can verify this for yourself if you upload your log files to zwiftalizer.com. Here’s how to locate the log files on your Android device.

These are some steps you can take to reduce the Bluetooth interference.

Many members report that turning off electric fans and fluorescent light fixtures in the room helps identify the source of interference. If you have those, would you test this possibility?

The problem is, I dont have control over that since I am in a gym when I run. How do I overcome that?

@Beth_Bryant
Gotcha, that’s gonna be tough in a gym setting. Does the gym have a bunch of treadmills spread out in different areas? Maybe moving to a different section can reduce the interference?

No they are all together. Should I send it back?

@Beth_Bryant
Please see our support hub for instructions on returning an item purchased from the Zwift shop.

Have you checked if your gym has any of the latest supported smart treadmills that have Bluetooth 4.0 built in?

I’ve got the same problem, was working perfectly, but now it’s connecting but no movement with my avatar. It’s getting really frustrating. Running on my treadmill is my only exercise during lockdown & not having zwift is making it really hard work. Do I need to get my footpod replaced? Or is there something else more technical going on? I’m running zwift on a Windows laptop & the companion on a Samsung tablet. Thanks

2 Likes

I am also having this issue, during the training the a avatar stops and doesn’t move, after few seconds and sometimes a minute starts to move again. I already changed the battery and it did not resolve this issue.

I have not had any issues with the running pod since I purchased it in January of this year. Now my Avatar does not move. I replaced the battery a month ago and just changed it again. Still no luck.

Hi @Brenda_Penrod welcome to Zwift forums.

Shuji at Zwift HQ here. I looked at your server logs and noticed that you’re logging in sometimes from an iPhone and from an iPad without logging out in between When you have multiple devices logged in simultaneously, your avatar not moving can be one of the symptoms.

Please end your session on all devices by either 1) saving and uploading or 3) trashcanning the session. Swiping the app into the background isn’t the same thing.

Then be sure to log in on one device at a time. Should solve your specific root cause.

I had solved my problem but have new connection problems. other people in my household use the pod and have no problems, yet the pod connects for me but avatar does not move. I have no idea what I am doing wrong… please help!

@Janick_Masse_ASC

Is it possible that the previous person’s session is still open? Not sure if you have multiple accounts or share the same one, but if you’re sharing, please make sure that you terminate the session by saving & exiting (or trashcanning) it.

Swiping the app into the background is not terminating the session. Would you verify that’s not the case for you?