Zwift IOS App Failing On Save Loses All Ride Data

Happened to me a couple times this week, 10min files saved lost a lot of ride time due to partial files, is it a wifi thing or closing my iPhone to calibrate my kinetic inride or just a iOS glitch from Zwift? Driving me crazy trying to find the problem or a solution

FWIW, this happened to me tonight after around 57 mins and 15 miles on Watopia. Ride ended, then got a log-in error from the main screen after I exited the ride screen. The file on Zwift.com shows a partial ride of zero miles and no time. So it doesn’t appear anything was salvaged. I’m using Zwift iOS on an iPhone 7.

This is the first time this is happened to me and is definitely a first world problem. But it is a little distressing to see the number of people reporting this bug. I hope Zwift will fix it soon.  

Yep, happened to me tonight.  “Partial ride” of 10 minutes…

Same thing here. Through me in London and halfway all riders disappeared. At the end the app refuses to let me sign in to save. Issue still not fixed. Think I’m sticking with Bkool or other. Not a good first experience to see something so buggy. Fwiw, I am using the ipad air 2 mirrored to apple tv.

Happened to me again tonight. I started the ride and there were other riders around. A short time into the ride, all of the other riders disappeared. This gave me trepidation about whether or not Zwift was going to save my ride when I was done. At the end of my ride, the save screen at least showed that it was going to save to both Zwift & Strava. That gave me a little confidence and I clicked ‘save’. It appeared as though it saved like normal but, I checked both Zwift & Strava and my ride wasn’t there.

I used the 3rd party program iMazing to browse my iPad to find the .fit file from my ride. Thankfully, it was there. I downloaded it from my iPad and uploaded it to Strava. The ride data was complete, not a partial like others have reported.

The most disappointing thing about losing the ride data is that saving the data is a very important thing for a lot of us. If we’re this serious about training, we want to look at the data to see how we’re doing so we can adjust our training as necessary. As fun as Zwift is, if all of the other riders disappeared and I still got my ride in with automatically adjusting resistance to the terrain AND my ride data got saved at the end, I’d be fine. I understand there are growth issues that Zwift is dealing with as the platform becomes more popular. However, we’re paying a monthly fee for the service. I probably wouldn’t be as upset if it were free. I hope to see improvement.

I haven’t used the Zwift app on my laptop, only my iPad because I don’t have my ANT+ dongle yet. I’m curious how many of the reports above are with the iOS apps and how many are using the Windows/Mac app?

I have had this happen 2 days running now on my iPhone. 1st time I was a reasonable way from the wifi router. So I thought it could happen, 2nd day it was next door 1hr 20 mins ride. Finished clicked Save and boom- login error nothing. It was very annoying to say the least. As otherwise i’m loving the ios version. Give me masses of freedom to do it and cause less noise for others in the house.

But a biggggg thank you too Chris Huck, on the advice above as that has worked for me, and have been able to get the data and add it to strava to view. Big thanks for that!!!

I rode, hit save to Zwift and Strava and it failed to save yet again. This is the 3rd or 4th time out of 7 rides. Very frustrating. I shouldn’t need to search for a file and manually upload. TrainerRoad or Sufferfest will be my go to until Zwift fixes this ongoing issue with iOS. The virtual rides are a neat gimmick, but not if it can’t reliably save the data.

I am adding my thanks to Chris Huck for the excellent iMazing tip. The .fit from last week’s lost ride was on the iPhone and I was able to upload it to Strava. All the data from the ride was intact, too.

It is very strange 1) that Zwift won’t let you access the .fit file on your phone directly from the iOS application and 2) that the ride showed up in Zwift as partial (with zero miles/time elapsed). 

I definitely agree with Bull Rulll that you shouldn’t have to do this, though. 

Thanks again, Chris Huck, for the tip!

I’ve done a couple of rides in the last 10 days that when I tried to save it took me to the login screen.Tonight itt didn’t upload to Strava, or to my Zwift account, and I tried using iMazing and it appears that it didn’t even save a .fit file to my iPad Pro.  

I’m glad my tip of using iMazing has helped some of you.

This issue has occurred twice for me. The first time, it saved a .fit file for the date/time that I rode but, the file was empty. Luckily, the second time, the data was intact.

It really seems like this is an iOS issue? I’m curious whether any of you that have posted here have had this issue with anything other than iPhone/iPad.

For those of you that have lost data, did you also experience all of the other riders disappearing? This happened both times I’ve had this issue. I would start out with other riders around me and then they would all disappear.

Here’s a summary of what I’ve read here and experienced:

1. This is an iOS/iPhone/iPad app issue. (At least on this thread.)

2. It is an internet connectivity issue.

3. When the Zwift app loses internet connectivity, other riders disappear from the game and there will be a login error after the ride ends and an upload attempt is made (unsuccessfully).

4. Some or all ride data will be saved in the .fit file on the iPhone/iPad. This data will NOT be uploaded to the rider activity page on the Zwift website.

5. On the Zwift website, the ride will be noted as “partial” and will have incomplete or no ride data.  

This has happened to me twice. The first time my ISP was having problems. The second time I opened another app during the ride (to listen to something else) and when I returned to Zwift all riders disappeared. I guess the safest thing is not to use any other iOS app during a ride.

I continue to experience this issue as well but have noticed a few things

• London seems to work as long as I don’t switch between apps on my phone while riding
  • Watopia has never saved properly for me - using both iPhone and iPad
  • I get the error saving even when the other riders don’t disappear and not only does it not post to Strava but doesn’t save my progress In Zwift either (which is frustrating when I’ve just levelled and next ride have to do it all over again)

Zwift is a lot of fun and makes me actually want to train in the winter but this issue is a real pain.

Just used iMazing to find the .fit file on a PC. Worked perfectly for a Strava upload. Still a bit frustrated that I can’t show the ride w/in Zwift.

I have had this loads of times using my iPhone 7, do the ride hit save then it freezes then after a while it goes to the log in screen. A couple of times it has said do you want to continue where you left off but that freezes as well. Its doing my nut as like many others i push this data to Strava and more importantly Training Peaks. Maybe the IOS stuff just cant handle it or do people think it could be an internet strength issue?   

Zwift just updated their IOS app to v1.0.16156 and the release notes mention a fix for “activity save retries several times upon failure”  ( which actually may not have anything to do with the issues we are seeing ).

Has anyone tried the latest update yet? 

Just tried a test on my iPad, it didn’t upload my ride to Strava, it didn’t save a fit file on zwift (tried finding this on my laptop and it’s not there). Good thing it was only a test, I hope they fix it soon as my wife wants her laptop back…

Oh but my viiiiva 4iiii HR monitor worked great and picked up my ant+ speed and cadence sensors, so that’s a 50% success rate!

Ok I worked it out, download the fit file from my iPad to my laptop using ifunbox. My wife can have her laptop back, if it downloads files automatically that would be helpful though…

I realize there may be multiple issues here.  I’m new to Zwift and just had an internet connectivity issue on my iPad with no riders visible, but was able to keep riding.  I didn’t realize when I saved my ride on Zwift that I needed a WiFi connection to my iPad for it to upload to the Zwift server (and Strava).  Somehow I stumbled upon the suggestion in this thread for imazing.com and was able to to recover the .fit file in Zwift and upload it to Strava.  

Here’s a link to how you can do it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-569l_o9DM

I know this doesn’t solve everyone’s issue here, but I was very happy to recover my ride and hope it helps others!

Burton,

You can connect your iPad/iPhone to a computer and use iTunes to get the .fit file and upload it to Strava.