Zwift freezing on screen, becomes unresponsive

Three of the last four weekends, I’ve taken a spin with Zwift and ended up having it freeze on screen. It won’t respond to mouse clicks or keyboard strokes, and the graphics are stuck motionless on screen. The companion app also appears stuck as well displaying the most recent ride data. Only way to exit the program is through Task Manager. I’m getting a bit tired of having my rides randomly cut short and not recorded, especially since two of the three instances have been during races. Not sure if it’s my computer or Zwift, but it’s not done this until the last update.

And yes, I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled Zwift after the second instance last weekend.

Lenovo Ideapad 5 running Windows 10, up to date
Kickr Snap trainer utilizing Bluetooth

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

What specs? Chances are it’s the old 10th/11th/12th gen issue.

IdeaPad 5 14ITL05
Processor: 11th gen intel core i5 1135G7
@2.40 GHz 2.42 GHz

8 GB RAM

Windows 10 64-bit

Pretty sure graphics processor is integrated

Yup, 11th gen iGPU. Known to have issues with Zwift freezing randomly. Try running OBS in the background.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is OBS and how do I run it?

Thanks for the swift replies, by the way!

OBS is streaming software. You don’t have to actually stream anything, just have the program running at the same time as Zwift. There are some reports that it helps with this iGPU crashing issue. Here are the steps, which were originally posted to overcome a different problem (recently fixed): New launcher (1.0.51) causing stutter on Windows systems [SOLVED] - #49 by Dave_ZPCMR

Got it. Downloaded and installed. Worth giving it a try for sure. Thanks for the help!

Let us know how you get on. Ensure it’s actually running before you start Zwift, either manually each time or by adding the shortcut to your shell:startup folder as described. The icon should be in the system tray. :+1:

Will do, thanks. I’ll give it a couple weeks to make a full determination, but I’m hoping it’s a solid workaround at least.

Couple of months later, and I’ve had no issues with the program freezing up, regardless of racing or free riding. Thanks for your help with this!

4 Likes

Nice one, thanks for the info.

2 Likes