Zwift crashing on iPad (5th Generation) whilst racing since update on April 29th, 2020

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, however we hope that Zwift will provide a definitive solution to these conflicts that were not present before the last update … Thank you very much!

However, I need the bluetooth of the phone.
I have the iPad connected by Bluetooth to the trainer with Zwift, The phone (Android Samsung A8) a Companion app, but I need the bluetooth for the wireless headphones, since I use “Discord” from the phone to communicate with my friends during events. You could use wired headphones, but it should work the other way.
ah ¡¡¡¡, I forgot, I have the iPad shared to see on the screen of an old TV with a Ezmira wifi module

I am not sure if anything I do has a real impact or not. It’s just something I tried and am having good results. It’s the same as me saying that I jump up and spin around 3 times before riding. Until Zwift actually fixes it we are all shooting in the dark.

1 Like

I had my first crash in a race tonight since the 2nd May.

It’s really infuriating.

The only thing I accidentally did differently this evening was that I forgot to ensure that the Companion App was “Force Closed” on my Samsung Galaxy 8.

Since my original issues I have not been using the Companion App (making sure it is force closed if I have been using it prior to opening Zwift on the iPad before racing) whilst racing and resetting my iPad before every race I have had no crashes for the last three weeks.

I have asked support to update me on my ticket and will update the forum if I get a response.

If others are still having problems please continue to update this forum post.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

There seems to be a new program update to fix these issues. Hopefully so …

1 Like

Hi, just joined the forum to weigh in with my story.
I’m running Zwift on a 6th generation iPad and it keeps crashing in races, The last 3 Saturday morning races gone.
The iPad is running on 13.4.1, it’s a 32gig machine with 7 gig free space on it.
I don’t run the companion app while racing it’s just me the KICKR and the iPad running Zwift. My legs are ok, the KICKR works fine with trainer road so that only leaves either Zwift or the iPad.
I’d really love to get this sorted, though I’m not very hopeful.
Anyway that’s my experience of Zwift, I only joined 2 months or so ago.
I’m not sure I’d recommend it.
J

Have you updated to the latest software released a couple of days ago version 1.050775. I’m hoping this will have fixed the problems but have yet to test myself in a race?

There is a mention in the change log about a fix but not sure if this relates to the problems on this board.

“Fixed a few bugs related to the anti-sandbagging code causing a crash for iOS, Apple TV and Android users.”

1 Like

Hey, I updated to the latest game so fingers crossed although since I have good luck by resetting Ipad before each game and turning off Companion App bluetooth on my phone. I have completed about 7 events without issue. HOWEVER, (that’s a nice way of saying BUT) after I updated Zwift on my Ipad my Companion App stop showing the map. I tried all the usual things, force close, reset, double check network, even removing and reloading both programs from the App store. FINALLY, I rebooted my home router to force a rediscover and reconnect and that worked. Both programs seem to behave normally now so like I said, fingers crossed.

1 Like

I just updated the app
I’ll try a race on Monday or so.
Will be interesting. I’m betting it makes no difference and it crashes again.
J

I’m using iPad 6th gen and usually crashed in the Past 3 weeks especially the long rides. It is not possible to re-enter the event after the first 30 minute even the distance record is still there (no drops and watts record).

Hi,
I updated a few days ago and got into a group ride today to see if the app would behave itself.
1 hr 40 plus minutes and no issues. There was about 100 in my group and I’m guessing a similar number in a chasing group. I’ll have a go at a race in next day or so and let ye know how it goes, but so far so good.
J

2 Likes

Hi,
I’ve just done a race without the app crashing.
I don’t run the companion or Apple TV, what ever that is, it’s just me the kickr and zwiftrunning through the iPad 6 th generation.
I’m still a bit wary as I suppose it I’ll believe it’s fixed when it stays crash free for a while, but so far so good.
Hope that helps.
J

2 Likes

That’s great.

Is anyone else still having issues since the update last week?

I’m tempted to run the Companion App again now whilst I’m racing.

I raised a call with Zwift for this issue. First they told me I should launch Zwift form the launcher on my Mac or PC which was not very helpful for an iPad!
I then pointed them at this post and the fact that I’m using and iPad and had already updated to the latest update. Then then got back to me to saying:

“This should be ok. We sent out the fix with the release on the 29th of May. Please give it a try with your companion app and let us know if you still see any issues.”

I’ve not yet raced with the Companion App yet to test it.

2 Likes

Ive been racing on my Ipad connected to my trainer via BT with the Companion app running on my Iphone. I did turn off BT in the Companion App settings but do leave BT enabled on my phone. Ive had NO issues so far after the latest update.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. I’ll give the app a try again next time I race.

I have no issues since last update with iPad 5th gen.

2 Likes

It still crashes on my 6th generation iPad (128GB, Wifi, iOS 13.4.1). Currently—with version 1.0.51959—it’s so bad that the app immediately crashes when a ride starts. I am also unable to send myself a log file. After selecting any file and tapping OK, the app jumps back to the start screen instead of displaying a sharing dialog like it does on my iPhone.

I tried attaching the Console app on my Macbook. There is no stack trace when it crashes, but some other hints: the console disconnects and there are quite a few memory warnings at the end, e.g.:

950162.257 memorystatus: killing_top_process pid 44612 [CAReportingService] (vm-compressor-space-shortage 8) 1408KB - memorystatus_available_pages: 24511

So it seems to me that Zwift doesn’t react to iOS low memory warnings until the kernel kills it.

I tried contacting support and the experience was rather disappointing. They did not acknowledge the issue but instead explained me that if my iPad’s screen stays dark I might have to recharge the battery. Thanks for Zwift-splaining that to me! They also told me that I might have too many apps open in the background. Any iOS developer will tell you that backgrounded apps will be closed automatically by iOS, and Apple also do not recommend manually closing apps. And of course, closing everything else manually makes no difference.

I use Zwift with a Wahoo Kickr Core (firmware 1.0.13), which is also connected to a Garmin watch via ANT.

Update:

After updating the iPad to iOS 13.5.1 I was able to complete a ride in Watopia without crashes. As OS updates involve reboots, the reboot could have been part of the fix—I didn’t think it would help.

Also, the log export functionality worked once I enabled an email account in the default iOS Mail application. For some reason, Zwift wants to send an email from the iPad, instead of showing the generic sharing dialog like it does on my phone.