Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

@Dave_ZPCMR Absolutely – feel free to post anywhere you like. And make sure to attribute the original detective work to @Paul_Attard. I am indebted to him.

–peter

2 Likes

@Dave_ZPCMR I always prefer to have the most control over what I’m doing in WIndows (I’m a linux CLI guy), thus Admin command prompt window. In any case I suspect your method should work fine. The important point is that the first time I installed the driver I did not use Admin and got no errors, but the driver was not actually installed.

1 Like

Cheers. :+1:

Fingers crossed here - just updated graphics driver to 30.0.101.1191 released Dec 3rd. Same crashing issues all others have mentioned for my Surface Pro i5-1035G4. Same answers from Zwift also - they are working on it…I’ll share my experience in a few days

Worth noting the driver you’ve been using doesn’t work on Windows 11.

Thanks Dave - you’ve saved me some heartache!

1 Like

Special thanks to Paul_Attard and Peter Gross. I downgraded to 26.20.100.7985 and now Zwift is ok!

1 Like

This is awesome information, thank you so much!!! Will give this a go!! I’m feeling really good about it!!
Thanks again!!

My computer has updated to win 11 and my controller version is 26.20.100.7926 and can not be updated to 26.20.100.7985 because it is for win 10… Anyone having the same problem? 7926 version freezes…
Is my only chance downgrade to win 10? Thanks

Yes, that driver only works on Windows 10. As far as I’m aware there’s no solution for Windows 11, so people who have updated are back to waiting for Zwift to resolve it. :confused:

Thanks Dave… downgrading to win 10… :wink:

1 Like

If you can do so, just clean install it using a bootable USB stick (use the Media Creation tool). Your licence will sort itself out over the internet, just ensure if given the choice you select the same edition as you have now - Home/Pro etc. The less crud you can put on the system the better, when it comes to Zwift. So let Windows Update sort all the drivers, then just roll the Intel one back.

1 Like

Thanks again Dave, back to win 10 and 26.20.100.7985 controller version… let’s see how it works this evening, fingers crossed…

1 Like

First two rides and no freezes with new configuration… seems good so far!

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I’ve been using the March 2020 drivers for the past couple of months and it’s fixed the crashing issues on my Intel i5 10th Gen CPU in my Surface Laptop 3. I can run high res on the laptop everywhere but the Makuri expansion. I can only run 720p there without crashing.

Downgraded to driver version: 26.20.100.7985
So far, no crashing, seems to be the fix

what I did to do this:
Download the ZIP file from this location:
hXXps://www[.]intel[.]com/content/www/us/en/download/19344/29465/intel-graphics-windows-dch-drivers[.]html
(can’t post links, so fix the link above yourself)
unzip files

go to device manager, select display adapters, right click intel iris, update driver
select “Browse my computer for drivers”

select “Let me pick from a list of…”

select “Have Disk”
browse to the directory where you unzipped the files downloaded from intel, I went to the /graphics directory and selected the cui_dch.inf file.

You should be shown a dialog displaying intel iris device. install

optional reboot

check the display adapter version by going to device manager, select display adapters, right click intel iris, select properties and click the driver tab. Driver version should now be 26.20.100.7985

start Zwift

(I’ve written this from memory, so I might have forgotten something, but you get the gist)

Same problem here, Surface Pro 7 windows 11.

Not being able to downgrade (suggested driver is for win10 only), I upgraded the driver with the help of the intel driver & assist tool.
Version: 30.0.101.1191
I was able to run without crashes for the first time in weeks!

You do have to explicitly agree to install this driver, as it’s not microsoft supported yet. (it’s not available through microsoft update yet).
But, no problems so far!

Hi all,

Intel latest update for Graphics Driver for Xe Dedicated, 6th-12th Gen Intel® Core™ Processor from February 7, 2022 version: 30.0.101.1340

Release Notes (key issues fixed):

Intermittent crash or hang seen in Call of the Duty: Vanguard* (DX12) on 11th Generation Intel® Core™
Processors with Intel® Iris® Xe graphics.
• Crash or hang seen when launching Dirt 5* through Microsoft Store on 11th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors
with Intel® Iris® Xe graphics.
• Minor graphic anomalies seen in Shadowman Remastered* (DX11) at High presets, The Surge 2* (Vulkan),
Wolfenstein: Youngblood* (Vulkan).
• Minor graphic anomalies may be observed in Fortnite* (DX11) on Intel® Iris® Xe Discrete graphics.
• Minor graphic anomalies seen in Doom Eternal* (Vulkan), Forza Horizon 5* (DX12), Adobe Premiere Pro 2020
during video playback on 11th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with Intel® Iris® Xe graphics.
• Crash or hang seen in Baldur’s Gate 3*…

I´m gonna try this version and hope it resolves the crash issues. It seems to be a bug that affects many different games.

I also have had this issue on my Surface Pro 8. I downloaded the latest driver from Intel (30.0.101.1340) and have done 3 rides - no issues (total of 4 hours - longest ride of 50 km). Let’s hope this is the fix.
Details of my machine
Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz, 2419 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

My Zwift has been running well since the last post I made, although I haven’t done too much tbh.

Last week a graphics driver update, restart and into a Zwift group meeting. 34 minutes in, it froze then went grey and hung.

So fed up about not being able to get back into group, I gave up and recovered my lost data.

Have now stolen the AppleTV out of the lounge and will use that.

Why oh why Zwift can’t work properly is crazy. Nothing else on my pc has any issues.

Life’s too short though and not going to try it any longer.