Zwift freezing or crashing mid session

(Mike Kelly) #1

I just rejoined Zwift after the summer. I am finding that Zwift is consistently freezing for 1-2 seconds around 20 min into my rides. It has typically resumed just fine, but this morning it crashed after the freeze and returned me to the desktop. I have used Zwift for several years without any issues. The thing that has changed is that I am now paired with a Tacx Neo instead of just a power meter. This happens either in workout/erg mode or free riding. Zwiftalizer is not showing any network errors or Ant drop-outs. I am on Windows 10, i7-3770, 32GB RAM, GTX 1060.

(Vincent W.) #2

Hey Mike, can you test just connecting your power meter to see if you’re still experiencing these hiccups?

You can also try a clean boot before starting the app: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
Some software can interfere with the games performance regardless of your setup.

(Mike Kelly) #3

Hi Vincent, thanks for responding. I’ve done a few more rides to try to narrow things down. After ruling out the route, wifi, world mode, solo mode, I noticed my ANT dongle was a bit far away from the base of my Neo. I moved it to around 18 inches and had no problems on the next ride. I’ve had ANT dropouts before with just power and cadence paired and it would just cause me to coast. So you may be right in that an ANT dropout with trainer control paired is causing the issue. On my next ride I’ll test this by disconnecting my receiver with and without control paired to see if that is the root cause.

(Mike Kelly) #4

I went on a longer ride this morning and experienced a 1 sec freeze without a crash. My Ant dongle was about 12 inches from my trainer. I noticed from the log that there was a network delay at around that time. I did a test where I disconnected my Ant dongle mid-ride and I just started coasting. I am going to try a ride tomorrow using a Bluetooth connection via the connect app.

(Mike Kelly) #5

I rode this morning using the iOS app to connect my trainer via bluetooth to the PC Desktop app. Saw a 1 sec freeze 55 min into my ride. I will turn off trainer control pairing as you recommended earlier on my next ride.

(Vincent W.) #6

Keep us updated Mike!

(Mike Kelly) #7

I had a 1 sec freeze again 58 minutes into my ride this morning. Here was my setup:
Tacx Neo paired to power and cadence via Ant+ to PC - trainer control not paired
Free ride on Road to Sky course
PC networked via WiFi - 50mbps up 50mbps down
Zwiftalizer showed no Ant searches or network delays/errors during ride
Freezes have not been consistent with time of day or elapsed time during ride

I will send a message to support with my launcher, config, and log files.

(Vincent W.) #8

Thanks for the details Mike. Support will do their best to get to the bottom of these hiccups.

(William Thurber) #9

I am having a similar problem. About five to ten minutes in the program blinks out and takes me to the desk top. the program keeps running but I have to click on the icon in the task bar to bring it back up. Only does it once per session, about five to ten minutes in

(Elise Yanover) #10

did you fix this problem, the same is happening to me. Just got Tacx Neo trainer I wonder if that is issue? It’s so frustrating almost every time I click a power up or it loses power, it blanks out to windows desktop and I have to go to open apps to re click it again.
Ideas??

(Gerrie Delport) #11

Are you running in Full screen or windowed mode. This usualy happen if you have another program that is running in the background and take focus of the screen but does not return it to Zwift. (this happens with a lot of games)

If tried windowed and full screen mode and can’t find the program that take focus you can use “border less gaming app” and run Zwift in windowed mode.

(Elise Yanover) #12

Hmm I used to run not in full screen but just changed it to full screen so do you think this could be it ?
I’ll go back to windowed mode if you think this is the issue.

Thanks

(Mike Kelly) #13

The issue went away with one of the recent updates. I was working with support and it seemed to be related to the Zwift app taking pictures of my ride in the background and trying to upload them to Strava or Garmin Connect.

(Elise Yanover) #14

Ok thanks.

I do all the updates but will try to use windowed vs full screen to see if it stops collapsing back to my windows main screen.

It’s kinda annoying!

(William Thurber) #15

I’m still having the issue. Annoying but not a deal breaker.

(Elise Yanover) #16

Maybe today’s update fixed it.
I did a workout so it was ok…and switched to window. I’ll see tomorrow when I do a course. My power dropped twice but otherwise my screen didn’t disappear.