Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

It looks more like an issue in Intel side, especially if it happens after a certain amount of time. If it would happen for example at certain km of a route, could be Zwift issue. But - without to be a Zwift advocate of employee - why did Zwift NEVER crash on my PC with Nvidia GPU?

1 Like

@Rob_B1 Hi. Only just seen this. My guess is the answer is in your first post

I`m running windows 10 and have an updated 1070gtx card

If you didnā€™t upgrade the power supply (PSU) at the same time as upgrading to the GTX1070, thereā€™s a fair chance that when Zwift is running and CPU & GPU are under load, the PSU is doing the equivalent of going for a PB during an FTP test, and failing, because PSUs do not actually increase their power threshold with usage.

Thereā€™s even a fair chance that on paper the PSU is adequate, but is getting a little old and no longer achieving its rated power/current/voltage per line.

The symptoms of either of these are crashes, hangs, reboots, and BSoD during 3D games.

If you think this might describe your setup (upgraded video card on original PSU, or an old PSU), the fix is usually quite easy - order a new PSU with an 80+ rating (preferably 80+ silver, gold, or platinum) and more than enough power, and install it.

How much is enough power you ask?
Use the system builder at PCPartPicker dot com and it estimates your power. Get a PSU somewhat bigger than that estimate.

Now, I said the fix is usually easy. The big-brand system builders such as Dell and HP have a habit of making proprietary PSUs and motherboards. This may complicate the operation.
If you have a Billy-no-mates brand PC, youā€™ll be fine.

SO why was I able to use the application for so long and never have the App crash literallly Iā€™ve been using it for 2-3 years now on 2 different surface devices and itā€™s only started happening within the the last 2 months. Iā€™ve not installed anything all I have done is update the App when it asks to and update Windows 10, quite regularly and now it crashes all the time, 2 days ago no crash, yesterday 3 restarts. Looks at the logs and it alls ays everything is fine.

Iā€™m going to put in a support request next time it happens and see what I get back.

@Michael_Pine
The most apps need more and more resources, Zwift is no exception. They really should take a look at the required hardware specifications and make it up to date and public.
AFAIK Zwift is aware about the issues with Intel integrated GPUs, but unfortunately that doesnā€™t mean the solution is going to come soon.

Well itā€™s only 1 ride but I turned off all virus protection and I decreased the resolution to the lowest possible in setting 576p and I got through 1hr24 ride with no crash, so maybe this is my solution ? Itā€™s only 1 ride but next ride is on Sunday at 1hr44 so I guess I will keep my fingers crossed and see what happens.

1 Like

UPDATE: After 2 crashes last week (Tues and Thurs) I paused my Windows updates (since according to my error logs thatā€™s what seemed to coincide with the crashes time wise) and for good measure I also changed the priority in Task Manager to high. Iā€™ve now had 6 consecutive rides with no crashesā€¦ so one of those two things seems to be doing the trick. I donā€™t want to roll one back to find out which!

Same issue for me and very frustrated.
I downloaded the latest driver (version 27.20.100.9316) from Intel site thinking it would help but it dosnā€™t fix it for me, still same issues

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 13/03/2021 15:49:03
Event ID: 4101
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Description:
Display driver igfxn stopped responding and has successfully recovered.
Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

System
DadsLaptop

igfxn

Hi,

I have also issues with crashing randomly during my rides. I got always the same two failures. The problem started with the last zwift update, before that there were no problems. Can someone help me with that? My System is Windows 10.

First: NVIDIA Open GL Driver

A TDR has been detected.
The application must close.

Error code: 7
(pid=11872 tid=10496 zwiftapp.exe 64bit)

Second: Application Error

Faulting application name: ZwiftApp.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, timestamp: 0x6036e8e6
Faulting module name: nvoglv64.dll, version: 27.21.14.6172, timestamp: 0x6035730c
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Error offset: 0x00000000011833e9
Faulting process id: 0x2e60
Faulting application start time: 0x01d719c09bbf9169
Faulting application path: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ Zwift \ ZwiftApp.exe
Faulting module path: C: \ WINDOWS \ System32 \ DriverStore \ FileRepository \ nvmdi.inf_amd64_c1f92232e461624f \ nvoglv64.dll
Report ID: d20f517d-639d-4c52-a8e4-5a45037b3a1f
Full name of the faulty package:
Application ID relative to the failed package:

"# OpenGL ā€œTDR detectedā€ Meaning

Updated 10/06/2016 05:51 PM

WHAT DOES THE OPENGL ā€œTDR DETECTEDā€ MESSAGE MEAN?

I have seen this Event Log Message:

A TDR has been detected.
The Application must close.

What does it mean?

If you received this message from an application (in the Event Log or on a pop up message), the application was unable to continue rendering because the Microsoft Windows imposed time limit (TDR) was exceeded. This is normally the case when the workload sent to the graphics card is greater than what the graphics card can process in the normal alloted time of two seconds.

How can this be fixed?

Two possible solutions to try would be:

1. Reduce the graphics workload if possible, such as by rendering to a lower resolution or by reducing the detail.
  2. Increase the timeout value to allow more time to complete more intensive rendering. Microsoft provides information on how to modify the Windows Registry to achieve this."

I tried this two fixes but it didnt worked, I also tried to reinstall the graphic cards driver and zwift but the problem is still the same.

Well it seems for me dropping down the resolution to the minimum has fixed the issue as 3 rides now and no crashses, I am on 576p. I would highly recommend putting the display down to the lowest possible and see if this helps. Turn off EVERYTHING else, literally everything. I have turned off my virus scanning and make sure nothing else is running going to leave itlike this for a week before turning things back on.

During the last ride, about 30 minutes in, the game stuttered REALLY bad for about 5 seconds, it was like doing like 2 frames a second or something like that. I think previously this would have crashed the app but on this resolution it managed to keep going and didnā€™t crash.

Hope this can you youmaybe.

Crashed again this morning after about 30 minutes, so in 4 rides that is 1 crash which is still better but still bloody frustrating there is nothing else I can really do and given that my SB3 has an nVidia graphics card not really sure what else to do, bloody crap to be perfectly honest might be the last training plan/riding I do on Zwift and then I will use a different platform for my indoor training.

Just wanted to register as yet another user with the freezing problem. Hardware is Surface 7 i5 with integrated Intel Iris graphic card. Been running Zwift on this platform for months without any problems, only since about a month ago having four freezing moments after riding for an hour or so.

I have just updated Windows, reinstalled Zwift (manually deleting the prefs files), and downgraded the resolution to 720p. Will let you know if it improves.

Every ride I attempt with my Dell laptop equipped with Iris Xe is still crashing; crashed again this morning after 45 minutes. This was the first ride Iā€™ve tried this week on itā€¦ all my other rides on my crumby Surface Pro 6 with Intel 620 HD have worked perfectly fine.

So far:

• I updated all OEM offers drivers and UEFI BIOS. No change, still crashes.

• Removed all display drivers using DDU (display driver uninstaller) and installed the drivers via Intelā€™s updater. No change, still crashes.

• Removed any Intel ā€˜gameā€™ specific settings, optimisation it claims to do. Still crashes.

• Tested on/off mains power. Still crashes.

• Tested with external display (1080p/60). Still crashes.

• Removed and reinstalled Zwift. Still crashes.

Surface Laptop 3 - Event 4101 "Display driver igfxn stopped - Microsoft Community

Some people in this post have commented that downloading the latest Windows Updates on the Insider programme have helped, though I donā€™t know how much stock to put in this given the small sample size.

Zwift? Any response?

1 Like

Possible Solution: Try Windowed Mode

Iā€™ve been getting freezes/crashes on my Surface Pro 7 suddenly, when it had worked for about 9 months fine. Think it must be something to do with the Iris graphics and there being some issue with that.

Looking in the reliability history under Security and Maintenance, I get a ā€˜hardware errorā€™ report at the time of a freeze:

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 141
Parameter 1: ffff890584834030
Parameter 2: fffff8037c384c40
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 5d4
OS version: 10_0_19041
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19041.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2057

Curiously, I actually have some of these reports at times when zwift wasnā€™t even running, so it may be some wider issue with the integrated graphics that Zwift just canā€™t handle it (I donā€™t notice anything else freezing).

I switched to Windowed mode tonight, I had one of these errors in middle of the ride, but Zwift carried on working. So if you have the above issue, worth a try. I shall report back if it still crashes.

1 Like

ZWIFT CRASHED Yesterday 25mins in and today 5mins in, using a new MacBook Pro with M1 Chip, have no idea what the issue is?

Send in your logs to Zwift support.

Hi Steve, how do I do that?

I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case for me. I always use ā€œWindowedā€ mode as ā€œFullscreenā€ has the annoying focus bug.

For me my settings state Iā€™m in ā€˜1080 - Highā€™ but I may try dropping my settings to low resolution and see if that determines some sort of thermal issue or somethingā€¦ that being said, my trainer room is my garage and right now itā€™s 6-10deg C in there with a tonne of airflow pointed at my machine.

Lets keep feeding back information as we discover things, maybe we can find a solution, even if Zwift wonā€™t answer it.

Has anybody tried using an Intel driver from 6 months ago? I wonder if the stability issues are the result of something in the newer drivers, I donā€™t really have a proper view of this as my machine was new in January '21.

Final things I need to check are running the machine in a non-performance mode, right now I use ā€˜Best Performanceā€™ but I wonder if asking my machine to run in another mode would be beneficial, I also donā€™t know if itā€™s possible to use something like GPU Tweak/MSI Afterburner to somehow downclock the GPU so as to remove any possible concern with throttling/thermals/instability.

ah thatā€™s annoying. Are you getting the LiveKernelEvent issue?

The other things Iā€™ve tried are using process hacker to put the priority for Zwift up to high.

As a weird aside, the device was accidentally unplugged throughout the ride yesterday, not sure that in itself would make a difference but maybe changed the power profileā€¦

Think enough people have tried enough things at this point to be pretty confident itā€™s just a bug with the recent versions of Zwift overstressing the iGPU on 10th gen Intel processors, causing the display driver to crash. Not much you can do but wait and see if they fix it.

1 Like