Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

This if totally f’ed up, this is total and utter garbage, it’s not enough I felt so bad that I struggled to do my ride today, I kid you not it crashed with 5 minutes to go on a 1 hr 45 ride, I am done, this is total garbage, there is clearly something wrong with this app and it’s total garbage, I am done. Will not be renewing and Zwift can get stuffed I don’t need this stress in my life wondering if something is going to crash I literally cannot even do my training program which is wht I am basically paying for. my money is going somewhere else. I’m not sending in useless logs to Zwift to get a standard, check this trouble shooting crap. There is clearly something wrong with the application for certain devices.

4 Likes

I am also running Surface (Laptop 3) , no problems for months. App hangs 20 mins into a ride since the new (March) upgrade. I run in windowed mode anyway, so unfortunately that is not the solution. Hope they can fix this…

Try disabling Gamebar. Its some windows bloat that runs automatically in the background. I’m not sure how long it will last but not had any crashes since I disabled it. For reference I have also:

Used process hacker to save Zwift and ZwiftLauncher as high priority
completely uninstalled an reinstalled Zwift (deleted all files then reinstalled)
Completely uninstalled and reinstalled graphics drivers
(the above 3 didn’t seem to stop it on their own, was still getting the livekernelevent)

Thanks very much Chris, I will try disabling gamebar first before the other measures. Fingers crossed.

More crashes for me this morning so looks like no resolution. Zwift is just broken on intel integrated graphics I think.

1 Like

Same here, Zwift crashed/freezed during my workout (of course not at the beginning but close to the end of the workout).
System: Surface (Win10) with Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics 640

2 Likes

Has anyone tried manually opening the TCP (443 and 3023) and UDP (3022) ingoing and outgoing ports in windows firewall? I was messing around with morning and had two crashes in very quick succession. Changed the ports and it’s now running OK (for the time being).

One problem seems to be there is no real way of predicting when the crashes will happen and so no way of testing. Sometimes it’s in a matter of minutes, othertimes it runs for hours…

1 Like

I’d put my rules in place following the Zwift Insider article a few weeks back, I’ve had crashing before and after this so I don’t think it is relevant, sadly.

To clarify Dave’s earlier point, my crashing is ONLY on my Intel 11th gen Iris Xe iGPU, my aging Surface Pro 6 with a Intel 620 HD runs Zwift just fine and reliably.

The other day I left Zwift on in the background whilst I worked on the laptop (various Teams calls, apps, browsers, Zoom etc), obviously wasn’t riding but I was ‘in the game’ and viewing other riders, it ran perfectly fine until I stopped it hours later.

What isn’t therefore clear to me is if that’s pure chance, or whether the update ‘fixed’ it, or indeed if it didn’t error because i wasn’t physically riding (is there something to do with processing my inputs/bluetooth that’s relevant)?

It would be useful if others could prove/disprove the above and similarly run it in the background when not riding to see if you can make it crash or not.

Some more testing this morning and it is still crashing, notwithstanding all of the above tweaks. The game is just busted on the iris graphics I guess.

For me it has happened when running nothing else, or with lots of things in background. It appears to be just totally random

1 Like

I had just finished a ride, crossed through the last “checkpoint,” and Zwift froze up and crashed out. I’m using a MacBook Pro with the Intel Iris Integrated Graphics, and the crash reporter showed that Thread 0 was the cause:

Crashed Thread: 0 Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00007ffc845d0a90

VM Regions Near 0x7ffc845d0a90:
Stack 000070008ceec000-000070008ceee000 [ 8K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

MALLOC_TINY 00007ffe6c400000-00007ffe6c800000 [ 4096K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a243fe3 Grapher::GetTimeForXPosition(float, float) + 131
1 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a1ffb13 UI_PostRideStats::UpdateMouse() + 227
2 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a1ff604 UI_PostRideStats::Update(float) + 3460
3 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a7ef9fc GUI_Update(float) + 268
4 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a3df722 UI_Update(float) + 18
5 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a4d382e Render(float) + 8846
6 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a4d50ec doFrame() + 508
7 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a4ee6d5 CODEmain(int, char const**) + 69
8 ZwiftApp 0x000000010a4921b3 main + 595
9 libdyld.dylib 0x00007fff56e1e015 start + 1

I sent this log to Zwift already, but at least this time, it didn’t cause my Apple Watch to remain “connected” to the app–which requires un-pairing and then re-pairing the watch.

I contacted support, they call it support you get these “ambassadors” which is basically people they like and use Zwift and they just confirmed out right that is is broken with Intel Iris integrated graphics and basically they have ZERO intention of fixing it, I just told them this will be the last training program I do with and then I am off for good.

I just can’t believe this is even a thing, the things runs fine on my Pixel phone so I’m using that at the moment but I can’t run it on a high powered modern notebook like a Surface Book. It’s a joke, it really is a joke, it will have something to do with frame rates I reckon, Intel often ■■■■ up frame rates or screw around with that stuff there was a major issue a few years ago.

Like this stuff changes Zwift should be testing and providing patches if need be.

It’s their responsibility but they won’t care because their money is still rolling in.

1 Like

The response from Zwift Support yesterday was that I need to update my OS off of High Sierra to Big Sur so that the Intel Iris Graphics drivers can be updated. But the computer that I’m using for Zwift is a mid-2014 MacBook Pro, and I’m fairly certain that it can’t handle Big Sur, so I’m stuck.

Zwlift emailed me to say Intel is10 and i11 integrated graphics cards cause a known issue, and that looks to be why Zwift keeps crashing for me. If you have Intel i10 or i11 please contact Zwift explaining the crashes and asking them to fix it. Zwift told me they know this issue exists but they have no timeline for a fix. Seems like there is a high amount of people with this issue.

So, finally update from my side.
Seems my issue is solved with Radeon Adrenalin 21.2.3 Driver. After the installation I never had an issue anymore. In the release note there was a fixed for multi screen setup when HDMI is used (which I do for the Zwift monitor).
OK, maybe Zwift was not at all guilty for my RX 5700 XT GPU.

Good news. :+1: Still on Basic profile though I assume? That one is definitely on Zwift to sort.

1 Like

Hey Rob,

So what did you reinstall new?

14 days later, it freezes again. It was in windows mode as always, running happily at 720p/43 fps when suddenly it just froze, about 75 minutes into the ride. Few weeks before, it did fine when doing 4.5 hours of Zwift Ultima Fondo.

Reporting the same issue.
Zwift crash during a ride on a windows 10 fully functional updated PC.
No other apps where running at the same time as zwift (no others than all the windows background running software).

Before the zwift app crash all sensors had a time out (stopped working) with the laptop Bluetooth receiver still on.

Also, every time zwift restarts without a windows restart, Garmin Hr Bluetooth sensor has connectivity issues. I i restart the laptop those issues do not occur.

I use Ultra.

Resolution or profile? They’re two different things.