Zwift Crashing/Freezing Mid ride

Ultra 1440

Resolution then. :wink:

Misery loves company. After enjoying Rouvy, CRASH FREE, for a few months, I decided to try Zwift in December. It was great for a few months. Then the random freezing started. Iā€™m using a Windows 10 Surface with an Intel Iris graphics card. OK, thatā€™s not true. I feel no better knowing Iā€™m not alone.

Who do the victims of random crash events contact for a refund?

#rouvytdoesnotcrash

1 Like

OK, let me join this with a ā€œme tooā€ on a Surface Pro 7 tablet (Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i7-1065G7/16.0 GB/Intel Iris Plus). ZWIFT crashing mid-ride with the ā€œDisplay driver igfxn stopped responding and has successfully recovered.ā€ 4101 error message in the Windows log. System was completely up to date and I could not finish a single ride (anymore).

Then I started playing around with the Intel driver version, first trying the most recent one from the Intel website (27.20.100.9316), which made things even worse. With the current Windows Update driver version ZWIFT would freeze after maybe an hour (i.e. a few km shy of the goal line of TDZ/TOW, really frustrating), the most recent version froze only minutes into the game.

After some researching I read somewhere [1] that the ā€œlast known goodā€ driver is maybe 25.20.100.7101. So I downloaded and installed this driver (which is no longer on the Intel site, but you can get it as part of a Windows update msi bundle file from Microsoft [2].

The first test seems very encouraging, I had ZWIFT run all night in ā€œwatching other ridersā€ mode (which was enough to freeze it before) without a crash. I hope this downgrade helps until a fix from Intel or ZWIFT is released.

[1] https://borncity.com/win/2020/02/07/surface-pro-7-laptop-3-fix-for-640-x-480-mode-update-issue/
[2] https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/8/b/08b0f0ba-1571-41c0-9b8a-9af8a43681ae/SurfacePro7_Win10_18362_19.103.34215.0.msi

1 Like

Same problem hereā€¦ Iā€™ve been having problems for the last 8 months, but they were eventually. As I read in this chat, the best way to ā€œsolveā€ the livekernelevent 141, is to keep the UHD graphics controller updated. I upgrade it to version 27.20.100.9316 and now my problem is bigger because Zwift freezes in every single ride since thenā€¦ I Donā€™t know when zwift is going to take it seriously, but this is really annoyingā€¦
If it helps for anyone, I installed the app on my android (Samsung S8) and a mirror software on my pc (connected to a TV) and my phone, this way I can follow my ride on a bigger screen and it doesnā€™t freeze yetā€¦ letā€™s see. Anyway itā€™s sad that I have to look for my own workarounds when Iā€™m paying for a supposed complete service on zwift.

1 Like

Update from my side: I can confirm that the driver downgrade I mentioned above definately helped. I did not see any ZWIFT crash since reinstalling the old drivers I mentioned above. Workouts, Races, TOW stages, all working fine again. So at least on the Surface updating seems for now to be the wrong strategy.

1 Like

Seems to be same drivers for the surface and laptop, Is that right?. Had same problems as I said on previous post with 27.20.100.9316, then I downgrade to 26 version but still freezing sometimesā€¦ Anyone knows if version 25.20.100.7101, that works on surface as Georg says, will work also on a laptop?

Thank you

Following this thread. I have a Surface Pro i5 which (sometimes) worked, but it was freezing at least 50% of the time, so using the phone these days. Seems like Zwiftā€™s update today did not address the issue, unfortunately.

Well, when ā€œLaptopā€ means ā€œSurface Laptop 3ā€ you might try this bundle:

https://download.microsoft.com/download/3/f/4/3f4f5dff-b6a9-4006-87aa-142a8e6f77cb/SurfaceLaptop3_Win10_18362_19.112.27190.0.msi   

Otherwise: if whatever laptop you have has an Intel Iris Plus chip I guess the driver should work (just extract the msi linked above to only get the Iris driver out of it in this case as you do not want all the other Surface system drivers). If you install it via Device Manager=> Update Driver => search Computer etc. you should be save in any case because Windows should only let you choose the driver if it is compatible with your hardware.

Can you explain how you extracted the old video driver from the .msi bundle on a surface pro? I downloaded the msi, but it seems to be only executable, and I canā€™t select to install only the video drivers.

Thank you!

Usually msiexec or 7ZIP would do the job, however, in this case I was using lessmsi from here:

https://github.com/activescott/lessmsi/releases/tag/v1.8.1

to extract it. Using the GUI version of it, you simply select everything and extract to a tmp folder. In this folder, you will find a ā€œReadMe.txtā€ containing the TOC of the directory. In there is a line

Display           iigd_dch.inf                           25.20.100.7101   08/05/2019   

which tells you the name of the .inf you need. Searching for it through the extracted dir, you should find it in the subdir ā€œGraphicsBaseā€ which contains the driver. Then use the Device Manager=>Upodate Driver to install via the inf from there.

Thanks! I did that and it seems to work. Will continue testing it, and probably wonā€™t rely on the Surface for really important events quite yet, but great to have the option back.

When I mean laptop is a HP-15s with integrated UHD graphics. Last graphics update was 27.20.100.9316, so is the same as you mentioned for your surface, so I was wondering if version 25.20.100.7101 also works for my laptop. I think the best way is to try itā€¦ I will and Iā€™ll come back and tell you how it works.
I also received a Zwift support answer, and since they donā€™t have a solution for this issue and even acknowledging, that there is a problem and that my computer exceeds their minimum requierements, they suggest me: " In the meantime though if you donā€™t have another device you can use to Zwift uninterrupted, then it might be a good idea to cancel or pause your Zwift subscription if the problem has become unbearable to live with. You can do so by following the steps in this [ article ]." What do you think?.. make me want toā€¦

Well, this just shows how many (new) users ZWIFT must have given the current circumstances. Just close to no pressure to fix this for probably only a few users. If the downgrade would not have fixed it for me without any other negative side effects I would be back at TR for good already.

Iā€™ve posted a couple or few times way up but thought Iā€™d come back to say mine has now been crash free for a few weeks.

To save looking back, my PC spec is -
Home built tower,
I5 9400 processor
16GB ram
Radeon RX590 8GB running latest firmware
Windows 10 20H2
All windows updates done.

Iā€™ve also had a few (other) game crashes and reading into a fix for that seems to have stopped the Zwift crashing too.

All I did was throttle back the video card slightly in the Radeon software. It has 8 steps for maximum frequency at given load points. The top one was reduced something like 5% and all others 6 to 7%.

The internet theory behind this is some graphics cards are over driven by default and simply canā€™t take it. For example the maximum stable frequency of my graphics card is apparently 1580Mhz. It was set at 1690Mhz out of the box. Not sure if this could be called clocking as in theory they are at 100% and donā€™t get too hot. Iā€™ve dropped it to the 1580Mhz and so far all rosy.

Alongside this I set the processor to 100% min and max usage and disabled all power saving options.

Benchmarks suggest it is 5% down on previous but still in the top area for other similar specification PCs.

Zwift is all set to maximum everything and I do run it in windowed mode to make it easer to move over onto my TV second screen for the turbo.

I do occasionally see the game stutter and jerk for a second which is when it used to freeze before. It now recovers and by the time Iā€™ve thought about swearing at it I am back to blowing and riding again.

Iā€™m no expert on PCs and clock speeds etc but I do wonder if by default Zwift occasionally asks slightly more than the GPU can give. If it is borderline at the top end anyway, this may result in a crash. Having some theoretical ā€˜headroomā€™ might just be preventing it.

Could all be gibberish but as I say mine is working 100% now on Zwift and everything else.
Might be worth a go for those that can tweak their GPU settings.

Iā€™ll report back in a month or sooner if it crashes before.

1 Like

Same here . I used two laptops and both freeze. One of the laptop is brand new

New laptop does not automatically mean enough power for Zwift. What are the specs?

Edit - found your other postings.

I also experience systematic crashes recently with my Surface Laptop 3 with Intel Iris Plus graphic chip.

I thought Iā€™d share my experience as Iā€™ve been having similar problems to some described above. For me, the zwfit app on Windows 10 Laptop was freezing and becoming unresponsive consistently around the 40 minute usage mark. Itā€™s a Dell Inspiron 3493, i5-1035G1, 8mb RAM, integrated Intel UHD graphics.

I initially tried:

• Clean windows install
  • All windows and driver updates as per windows update
  • Clean Zwift install
  • Install manufacturer app (Dell) to check for driver updates. This installed a further 6 or 7 driver updates over and above windows update

None of these fixed the problem and the Zwift app froze consistently around the 40 minute mark. This led me to think the issue was to do with overheating (also based on the comment of Adam above). Iā€™ve now done the below and it has worked for longer sessions twice without crashing.

To try and reduce power usage and I guess therefore also reduce heat I did this:

• Installed Intel Graphics Command Center and set the power options for both plugged in and battery to prioritise battery life rather than performance
  • Opened Windows Graphics Settings. Browsed to find zwiftapp.exe and set the graphics preferences to be Power Saving
  • Set the power mode slider (clicked the battery icon in the system tray) and slid to Best Battery Life
  • Set the power settings within Zwift to support best battery life rather than best performance
  • Found a setting in the Dell power management app to focus the device on Cooling. This appeared to impact performance in Zwift and I switched it back to Optimise which restored performance again

Apart from one, none of these appear to have had an impact on game performance. Graphics quality has always been low for me anyway due to the device. Since then the app has worked without crashing for sessions a little over an hour, I havenā€™t tested for longer durations. I donā€™t know if this is a real resolution or just dumb luck, but so far I can use the app again which is great.

1 Like

Bad news.