Zwift Companion activity not syncing to Apple Health

Hi, I have been using Zwift for a few weeks now on Apple TV with the iOS companion app and all has been working well. However, today I did a workout and it has not synced across to my Apple Health app. All has previously been working fine and all the categories in the Apple health app are enable to read and write data.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @David_Butcher welcome to Zwift forums.

Are you also using the Apple Watch, by any chance? We have a support article that covers the watch and Apple Health. It’s a bit lengthy - please scroll all the way through to the bottom.

I have the same problem. Zwift companion does not register with Apple Health as a data source and therefore I never see any data from Zwift companion in Apple Health (Zwift companion version 3.12.1 (1021)

Interesting :thinking:

Does your Companion App actually save “Active Energy” because mine does not although the active energy is displayed under the workout that the Companion App saves. In effect it means that the workout exercise minutes are counted…but not the move calories for the move ring…

Same issue here. Using the full Zwift app on the iPhone (running iOS 13.4) works seamlessly with Apple Health but when I use the Zwift Companion (ZC) app (v3.13) as a bridge on the iPhone and a MacBook as the primary Zwift app it falls apart. The ride is registered as an activity in Apple Health and the exercise minutes count towards the Health Rings but no Calories or Heart Rate data synced across from ZC to Apple Health. As per attached photos all permissions accepted for “Companion”, ride time shows up but move ring does read data (though Total Calories recorded numerically) and HR data (using BT chest heart rate monitor) not imported. I suspect requires an update to the ZC app but if I’m missing a trick please advise.

7 Likes

Hi Andy
Did you ever get this resolved? I am having exactly the same issue
Kind regards
Martin

3 Likes

It seems to get the Apple Workout App to register the Active Calories you must use the Apple Watch as the HR source. I paired the BT chest strap heart rate monitor to the watch and then selected the watch as the source before starting a ride. If you use the heart rate monitor as the primary source from within the Zwift App on the computer the Active Calories are not recorded by the Apple Workout App though all the other data is (Exercise minutes & duration). I prefer the BT monitor as it’s more reliable than the watch’s built in HR monitor which drops out frequently during a ride.

What seems really strange as the screen shot in my first post shows is that the Workout App can read the Active Calories data from the Zwift Companion App but cannot write this data to the Health App and therefore contribute to your ring data. This is despite all data sources from Zwift Companion being selected for the Health App. As previously mentioned everything works fine, including Active Calories when using a BT Heart Rate monitor, if using the Zwift app on the iPhone instead of the computer as the primary device.

Thanks Andy
Yes my situation was similar, and the outcome exactly the same the data is there but not pushed into the heath app ring… I was using a Garmin HRM, will drop that out the equation and see what happens off my watch.

Out of interest have you ever ridden without your watch on to see if its a conflict of both devices?

i found i was getting many more km logged from my workouts on my apple health app
looking at the source data, at each workout change, logged as a split time, instead of the split distance, the total distance up to that point was logged, then the next the distance up to tha5mpoint etc. The health app was adding all these together.

Hi Ben, thank you for your response. Yes, I use the Strava as a work-around. My point is WHY has Zwift not implemented direct communication with the Health app. Everyone I know uses Zwift with Apple devices.

6 Likes

I’m having the same problem. In fact, it used to work, but then the Companion app. stopped adding data to Apple Health back in April, around the time this bug was reported. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the app., and I don’t even have the options to permit it access to Health. Did Zwift take this feature away? If so, why? It’s obvious we’d want our rides added to Health.

Yes, use strava as a workaround. Basically you need to allow strava to write the data, and disable companion to write data to your Apple health.
In strava, go to settings then applications, services and devices then select health then enable “Send to health”.
It will close your move ring as well as your exercise ring. By disabling the companion writing is to avoid duplication. (Move and exercise data doesn’t duplicate but on my other apps the exercise calories are doubled, so it’s wise to disable the companion to simplify the data source)

1 Like

This has to be the most frustrating thing bizarrely why would I care but I started to and go in circles

1 Like

Gave Zwift all proper permissions.
Is there a way to force read/write/sync?

I’m having the same problems and it’s frustrating. I use Apple TV 4K with KICKR CORE and everything works great. If I use my Apple Watch with Companion app then I get active minutes and HR data in the Fitness app. My exercise ring and move rings both get credit. The problem like others said is the Apple HR drops a lot using Zwift.

If I use my Wahoo TICKR HR strap then I don’t get active minutes or HR data in the Fitness app. My exercise ring gets credit but move ring does not.

When riding my bike outside my Wahoo Companion app writes active and HR data to health when using the TICKR HR and all my rings move, so why can’t Zwift fix this?

Any figure this out other than the Strava hack which I don’t want to do because I use it for a lot of other things other than indoor cycling.

1 Like

That is just the problem with wrist based HR any time your arm move you can loose connection.

I moved away from optical HR to a chest strap.

Which is also what I want to go but also want to get credit in Apple Health which doesn’t happen with a chest strap. The Wahoo companion app does it so no reason the Zwift companion app can’t.

That sound like a Apple problem. As Apple to let you sync an external HR sensor to the watch. That can be done with the Garmin watch, you can sync your chest strap and not use the optical sensor.

When I do outdoor rides with my Wahoo ROAM and TICKR HR strap, the Wahoo companion app writes active calories and HR data to Apple Health and everything works as it should. The Apple Watch is not involved with any of this so this can be done.

The Zwift companion app does not do this when using an external HR sensor, only when using the Apple Watch for HR.

I have found that connecting my Apply Watch to my Wahoo TICKR first using bluetooth, then launching the Companion app and connecting to the Apple watch from there solves the dropping issues. The watch uses the external HRM, rather than its own, for the measurement.