Worst Zwift rider on record!?

I have been using Zwift for over a year and despite tapping along at 90rpm, FTP ~170W and 1.7 W/kg I find myself unable to participate in any events because I am always at the back.

I have looked at countless YouTubes and even asked questions whilst riding. Nothing seems to help.

What I would dearly love is for an experienced Zwifter to guide me through how this all works. I do want to use Zwift properly, not mention I am paying a monthly subscription for this frustration. Any helpers gratefully received!

Hi @Jamie_Macdonald2

Welcome to the forum.

We will need a bit more context are 90RPM in you highest gear (big front and small back)

What bike is on your trainer, what trainer?

2 Likes

Hi Gerrie,

Somewhat delayed response as I have not been in the Forum for while. If you are still out there. I am riding a gorgeous 2014 carbon Cannondale Synapse 2014 on on Wahoo Kickr. At 80-90 rpm / 160-170W which is say my steady state for a long ride itā€™s on the big ring (pedals) and probably 3rd smallest rear cog?

The new Zwift interface seems to make it easier to find events I can participate in although I am sad that Cat E is denoted as ā€˜Everyoneā€™ as it still means itā€™s really hard to find riders in the 1.5 W/Kg zone. I do a spin down calibration after 10mins warm up before every ride.

Cheers

Hi Jamie,

the E cat events are usually pretty hard because ā€œeveryoneā€œ means that most riders will be above 1.5 w/kg and will ride like that. Of course thatā€™s frustrating for the not-so-strong riders. I bet youā€™d have great fun in dedicated D cat events, for example the Vikings Valhalla Recovery Ride on wednesdays (18:20 CET) sticks very close to the advertised 1.5 w/kg. If you try to stay just ahead of the yellow beacon youā€™ll have a great time. Of course you should never choose a TT bike in a group ride as that wouldnā€™t let you draft!

Unfortunately there are group rides out there that donā€™t stick to their advertised pace. Just ignore them in the future and try another one - youā€™ll find out which ones work for you and which donā€™t. Ride On!

@Jamie_Macdonald2
From looking at your visible rides in Companion, Iā€™d say that nothing stands out as evidently wrong with how youā€™re zwifting. Unfortunately, a heavier rider with a lower-than-average FTP will find it much harder to keep up in events (including with the multitude of riders who apparently donā€™t indicate an honest weight in Zwift). But you are by far not the ā€œworst Zwift rider on recordā€. And kudos to you for being honest with your data. Many cat D races are apparently still plagued by sandbaggers and cruisers, so arenā€™t fun for real D riders.

From your screenshots, you seem to be riding a road bike in game, which gives you the best chance of drafting successfully when in a pack. Thatā€™s something that counts for a lot in Zwift events. While you work on increasing your FTP, maybe you could also focus on some technical skills, unique to Zwift, by joining Pace Partner (PP) rides and practising keeping with the main bunch at the lowest power output which doesnā€™t see you dropped. This will definitely help you to ride with groups in the future that are currently a little too fast for you.

Starting tomorrow and for the next week, the PPs are going to be on generally flatter courses, which should be in your favour. From the following list, Diesel, Dorothy, and Eddy would all be in your range:
Anquetil (4.2) - Tick Tock
Brevet (3.3) - Tempus Fugit
Coco (2.5) - Triple Flat Loops
Daniela (2.15) - Flat Route
Diego (1.8 ) - Volcano Circuit CCW
Diesel (1.5) - Volcano Circuit
Dorothy (1.15) - Volcano Flat

and

Bernadette (3.8 ) - Wandering Flats
Charlie (3.0) - Sukiā€™s Playground
Denise (2.0) - Sleepless City
Eddy (1.0) - Neokyo Crit Course

Also, is everything running smoothly on your Synapse? Iā€™ve seen cases of people ā€˜wastingā€™ some valuable power because their drivetrain/bottom bracket, etc. were worn and adding friction to the system.

Finally, Iā€™m curious about your heart rate in your activities in Companion. In most of your recent rides, it rapidly hits and stays at a ceiling at which it remains for the rest of the ride. What monitor are you using? It is limited to that ceiling value? To be able to interpret your data and follow your own development, it would be much more helpful to see an accurate HR readout.

Thanks for the prompt reply, I have tried a few D rides and can only keep up for about 15 mins because it requires me to work at pretty much my max instead of being able to do a good 1 hr session. I guess I wish there was a genuine category for less powerful but nevertheless keen riders! Iā€™m sure there must be plenty of us.

The only alternative as you say is to weight dope by saying I am 70kg when Iā€™m actually 90kg which I donā€™t want to do.

Thanks for taking to time to make all those suggestions and indeed for looking ay my companion data, itā€™s encouraging to know I am not the worst, even if I seem always to fall back to last place. WRT to my HR I have an ICD pacemaker which limits my max heart rate to 150. Whilst this may sound quite limiting my Dr. does not prevent me from working as hard as I like so I am hoping my aerobic capacity is improving.

I do lime the Paced rides so Iā€™ll see if they help me improve my power / endurance.

1 Like

stay with it Jamie and you will get there. I would stay away from the Cat D races and look for D rides and events and even ther watch what they say about the watts required - not all D rides are equal and come in a bit of a range. Your best bet is a PP at the 1 or 1.15 level. And donā€™t discount weight doping for a while so that you can enjoy more rides/events. You are supposed to be having fun while you ride and you arenā€™t racing. My wife is a very weak rider and like you couldnā€™t join anything and rode alone most of the time so I cut her weight in half and she finds the whole experience much more enjoyable. After you get fit you can adjust it back. Ride on.

Today you did a ā€œfundoā€ event, and in those events the categories refer to distance, not pace, so D category will include fast riders looking for a shorter ride. Probably not your best choice for an easy group ride. It will be easiest for you to stay in the draft of a group on flatter routes.

The Zwift Easy Riders club (ZER) hosts many easy group rides that are probably suitable for you. Hereā€™s a search that shows their events:

Rides like that also tend to be quite supportive of people who have problems keeping up. Donā€™t hesitate to ask for help in group rides and you will often find someone willing to pace you back to the group.

If you havenā€™t shopped for equipment in the game, that can provide a small advantage as well. On flat routes you can use the Zipp 808 wheels and the Specialized Allez Sprint frame. On hilly routes, you can use the Cannondale Evo frame with DT Swiss ARC 62 wheels. Those are all relatively low cost in the drop shop and are available at low levels in the game. Save up for the Canyon Aeroad 2021 frame whenever you are able.

I will follow you and give you lots of ride-ons.

How many hours a week are you riding? Do you have any injuries/disabilities current or former that prohibit you from riding pain free or training more?

You have been given some good advice on how to find slower group rides or Pace Partners.

You may also wish to read through the following thread and consider joining the mentioned Cardiac Athletes Facebook group.

Hey mate. Firstly I hope youā€™re alright and Iā€™m very sorry to say this but my undereducated opinion when it comes to heart problems is not to push it. Unfortunately accepting a new reality it much better than finding out that you fried your engine. With that said, I would try to maximize your Zone 2 work. Iā€™m not going to lie that youā€™re not going to make much progress with 60-90 minutes per week. You can maximize this with Z2 or sweet spot training though. Personally under 6 hours a week I see a decrease in fitness. 6-10 I maintain fitness and over 10 hours per week I notice the gains starting to come. If you Google Zone 2 training, there is a lot of good literature on that and other sub-threshold training styles.

Stay hydrated with a hydration solution that works for you, and stay cool - keep your core temperature as close to normal as possible. If you can get your core temperature slightly under normal during exercise, even better! If I remember right for ever watt that you see on the screen your body is generating 4-5 times that in heat.

Finally recover just as hard as you workout, if not harder. Your legs are sore after a ride, find a recovery mix that works for you to get those calories and building blocks to repair the damage that has been done in this workout.

Sorry for the mixed news but I hope this helps.

1 Like

Jamie, youā€™ve already been offered great advice from experienced Zwifters here. I just want to add to the existing encouragement that you continue working as you have. Itā€™s inspirational. If you ever want to meet up for a ride let me know. If the time works for me Iā€™d happily ride along. Iā€™ll do whatever pace and distance works for you. Just keep riding on!

3 Likes

Thank you so much for your encouragement Randy. Iā€™m looking at evetns on Zwift now to see what I can find. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jon-athon,

Santa gave me an implanted ICD / pacemaker for my 49h birthday (99% paced) but I am not quite ready to get my pipe and slippers out yet.

As some have noticed this means I hit my capped HR (in my case 150) after about 10 mins and there it stays for the duration of the ride so in a way it makes my heart rate monitor redundant although I find it reassuring to see.

From an aerobic capacity point of view I think this means Iā€™m probably operating at 85% although it certainly feels pretty hard; Iā€™m hoping that this enforced UT effect may ultimately improve my aerobic efficiency!

No physical disabilities and no pain when riding apart from hard work. I currently do 20-30mins of proper riding 3 times a week, so itā€™s not very much.

If I do find a compatible group, Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll ride more.

Cheers

I absolutely advocate for finding a series, group, club, community, etc. that you can regularly ride with. DIRT, ZRL, BMTR, WTRL have all been massive help for me throughout various bits of the year to get on the bike. For most of us, better fitness really just requires riding more at a pace greater than Zone 1 (activity recovery) but under your threshold or whatever your current limit is. I hope you have fun and be safe!

Pace Partners are also great for something that is always there at a pace that youā€™re happy with.

Ride on Jamie - keep us posted on your progress :slight_smile:

2 Likes