World Switching Please

I bet they do care. As with any software product, it’s a case of prioritisation. Balancing new features with polishing and improvements of new features, fixing bugs, taking into account the number of people affected or the likely impact on numbers in the future etc.

And even if they add more developers, they’re not necessarily in the teams that would work on this feature.

In my experience (30 years as a programmer) no development team ever has enough people to implement everything they would do in an ideal world.

So I still think it will happen, but not necessarily in the timescale some of us would like.

I take your points Daren, but this seems to be easily the most discussed issue on these forums - under many different headings, not just this one. It’s important enough to have generated a blog by Jon Mayfield with target dates of this winter, which is well through, and as evidenced by the hacks and workarounds available is a trivial piece of coding (unless a complicated solution is used instead of a simple menu choice). Frankly, at times, I have found Zwift utterly unusable because of rider density and large group ride through, which is why I quibble at the £13pm subscription - which I would happily pay all year round if I could filter out all this dross.

1 Like

i think the key is your assumption that it is a “trivial piece of coding” may not be correct. it’s true that YOU, INDIVIDUALLY, can easily change worlds, but does that scale?

in other words, can zwift infrastructure handle that many worlds at once? what happens to a rider when he wants to join a group ride that’s in a different world? what new functionality needs to be built besides “choose a world”?

there are probably TONS of places in the code where the “single world” assumption is baked in, and they have to go back and generalize all of that. of course, any dev change always requires a ton of testing and QA effort, too.

i’m not trying to say they shouldn’t do this, but i think the demand for it and the time it’s taking them to address it are linked – it’s highly anticipated, and a sea change for how people will use zwift, so they want to get it right.

Well, it already must be able to do this. Since the “world hack” is available, and Zwift haven’t made any moves to close it down we must assume they’re confident the systems are indeed capable of supporting concurrent worlds. We already know they can do this in practice as well as there are always some people using the world hack, and I’ve never seen a complaint about it not working.

This too already happens. You get transported to the relevant world when you join the event (and optionally get transported back afterwards). Several race series and group rides use this option.

3 Likes

Too crowded! I agree and will be dropping my subscription unless the programmers perform some straightforward edits to source code soon.

1. Choice of course. If Zwift Hack can do it so can Zwift.
  2. Create a list of options included in the start menu or preferences. (option: select on how many riders appear on course by choosing friends, nationality/nationalities, ride with people of lower wpk or the same or higher, similar age group. The list could on and with a little imagination could be fixed in days.)

I have been with Zwift since there were ghost riders introduced to populate the course and have enjoyed the journey. I believe very few want to ride in the middle of a crowd with your avatar jumping around in and out constantly in an unnatural manner. Please sort this issue out before your bubble bursts?
I Donohoe MTB

5 Likes

Its been over two months since Zwift announced they would support a watered down version of world choice. I assumed back then it was imminent. I wonder why this is taking so long?

1 Like

The thing is, Dan, that nobody here is asking for anything not already available using a hack or workaround. And personally I don’t think it’s a sea change - not for me anyway, as I’d use Zwift in exactly the same way but on a quieter and more realistic world/course. I started using Zwift a couple of years ago, and found it more motivating than real life videos - but now riding through hundreds of stationary riders at the start/finish, through large groups, and in an endless stream of riders all over the road its not motivating anymore - just a boring mess.

1 Like

Apparantly world switching is available now for pc & Mac and on it’s way for iOS & android -

Many thanks to Zwift.

My AppleTV updated after this mornings TdZ stage :+1: , looks good!

Nice move Zwift! :ride_on:

Update: We’ve officially introduced Guest Worlds on all platforms! Read up on Guest World features in the newest release notes. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Upvoted. The “Guest World” selection is frustrating for those who ride regularly, since only certain worlds are accessible. Sure, there’s workarounds such as creating meetups, but why make people jump through such hoops - let anyone ride any world, any time - and ideally “stitch” them together, so you can ride off the edge of one world and into another. It would make longer rides much more interesting and varied, especially if new “multi-world routes” were created that spanned multiple worlds.

1 Like