Why I am Too slow

Trainer, device you are using Zwift on (with specs), internet speed, what in-game bike you are using.

I am going to post this again:

Ok, how in-game speed is determined.

For virtual power like yours:

Zwift takes the wheel speed broadcast by your speed sensor and the power curve of the trainer you select on the Pairing Screen and converts that to virtual watts. With those watts, the weight entered, height entered, in-game bike used, in-game drafting (Tri and TT bikes get no drafting boost), in-game wheel set, in-game road surface, and in-game virtual elevation changes your in-game speed is determined.

All those variables can have an impact on your in-game speed.

Well 11 mph is a lot different then 4 mph

Which Vortex? There should be a number.

Well the game is a joke then

I understand your frustration and I am trying to assist you.

Are you connecting the Vortex as a Power Source and a Controllable Trainer?

Can you post your Pairing screen which sensors connected.

This may be of zero help.

From Bike Calculator

4 mph on a 8% grade IRL power of 200w will be needed.

11mph on a 8% grade IRL power of 600w will be needed.

4 Likes

This probably isn’t helpful either:

3 Likes

have no idea forget it you will never convince me that in real like I can do 11 mph, and on this “game” I’m only doing 4 mph while people are pasing me doing 30 mph. Somewhat of a joke.

My Power is connected to My Vortex Candence is connected to my Vortex and Controllable is connected to my Vortex

What in-game bike were you using at the time?

Actually most people complain that the in-game speed is faster than what they do IRL.

1 Like

I always use a road bike. flat and down hill is fine. Uphill is horrible.

It happens in all locations, NY, London, etc. ALWAYS slow uphill.

Your in-game speed is going to decrease going up virtual inclines.

When going up virtual inclines W/KG is what matters most, but the in-game bike and wheel set can also have impact on it also.

Can you share both an IRL ride and a Zwift ride where you are doing a similar incline so when can better point out the issue.

I am not a computer person so I have no idea how or what a iRL is and where to finde a Zwift ride and how to share it. BUT my garmin speed sensor tells my watch I am doing a OK speed

IRL = In Real Life.

Again, please ignore what your Garmin is telling you. It is only keeping track of your rear wheel speed and does not know about the in-game (Zwift) variables. The to speeds/distances will hardly ever match.

With @Gerrie_Delport assistance I was able to get this:

And from everything I can see your speed looks correct for those watts.

2 Likes

If I look at your ride (see Paul’s post above), there you can see you were doing ±200w up the climb, that would give you 4Mph according to the bike speed calculator I posted above.

If you want to do 11mph you will need to do 600w.

1 Like

Your wrong my speed sensor know the speed of my wheel. When I go up hill the wheel slows down so does the speed My gramin is more right than Zwift, I know that for a fact.

Your Garmin does not know about ALL of Zwift variables (in-game bike, in-game wheel set, virtual elevation changes…).

You are not the first to have this inquiry, it does take a little while to understand how speed within Zwift works. It can be frustrating at the beginning, especially if you are trying to compare it to a Garmin.

The best you can do is to setup an Indoor profile on your Garmin that only tracks cadence, HR, Time and Power. Distance and speed do not make a difference when riding indoors, Power/Time or HR/Time is what matters.

1 Like

So why is it, I can be riding in zwift going up hill, @ 4 mph @ 175 watts, 75 candence, I increace my cadence to 95 my watts to 250+ and I still go 4 mph??? but my garmin changes speed. I hae a speed sensor on my rear hub. my rear wheel changes speed.

if the incline is also changing, example going from 3% to a 5% incline, more power will result in the same speed.

1 Like