Wahoo Kickr power freezes during ride to steady state output

Setup:
heart rate monitor: Wahoo Tickr X;
system: Apple TV 4K/32Gb with Apple TVOS 12.2
trainer: Wahoo Kickr, model 2014 (latest firmware available)
also: pedal power meter Garmin Vector 3 (only used for cadence info);
running Zwift Compagnion app (latest version on 13-may-2019) on iPhone 8 plus
Zwift version: latest available on 13-may-2019.

Zwift course: Road to the Sky (Alpe du Zwift)
Details of the ride: see Garmin Connect, public link Garmin Connect

During my first succesfull ride to the top of Alpe du Zwift, I’ve noticed the system freezess power to 196Watt after approx 90 minutes into the ride. Even if I stop pedaling, it stays there.
As the Garmin Vector 3 pedals are only used for cadence, these are out of scope (in fact when I stop pedalling they measure this also in cadence drop to 0 rpm).

Is it perhaps an issue with the Zwift Compagnion app? or an issue on the AppleTV app of Zwift? or just another hickup on the Wahoo Kickr?

The Kicker does not like the Ant+ receiver to be more than a metre away from Kickr.
Power will freeze. The Kickr 2018 is slightly better but still requires Ant+ pick up to be close.

I am using only bluetooth connectivity because the AppleTV 4K does not handle ANT+ signals.

Mate I’m unsure about Bluetooth & Kickr
But again most of the problems with Kickr & power drop out are signal distance related.

Could you do a test ride with unit closer? How far away is Kickr to Unit? Have you updated the Kickr Firmware?

Cheers Gary

distance between Kickr and AppleTv is about 150cm. Between Kickr and Apple iPhone with compagnion app approx. 100cm.
The Kickr has latest firmware (1.5.68).

A couple of things worth checking @Niels_Thijssen, if FE-C is available on the pairing screen, that is if Wahoo Kickr and Wahoo Kickr FE-C are listed, choose the FE-C version.

It is also worth checking no other Bluetooth app is trying to ‘steal’ your trainer signal. If you have the Wahoo app or the Vector 3 app on your phone, make sure you have closed down and logged out of the apps.

I have mine attached to a USB extension cable, Ant+ receiver is about 200mm away.
On the older 2015 Kickr any further and it drops out even with Firmware updates. The 2018 Kick I also use is better but it doesn’t like being more than 120cm away (if more sometimes it would stick)

Sorry not to be of more help.

Regards Gary

ProBikeFit

I solved my KICKR ANT+ dropouts by connecting a powered USB hub between my computer and the ANT+ dongle.

@Daniel_Schumm i’m having issues on bluetooth/BTLE as I’m running Zwift on Apple TV 4K. ANT+ is out of scope

@Paul_Graham: on the Iphone no other apps are rinning besides Zwift Compagnion.

I have almost the same setup (newer Kickr, no pedals) and have experienced the same issue. I don’t think it is relevant to the course as the is the second occurrence on different routes/worlds. Once it was during a race and once solo.
I log out and start again. Frustrating during a race/ group ride.

It happened to me too (older Kickr) quite recently. The solution I saw from another thread is to power-cycle your trainer (turn it off and on again) which allows you to continue the same ride. Worked for me but YMMV.