Wahoo Headwind causing Kickr Disconnection mid-ride

First off thanks for any help!!

I’ve got a Kickr V5, and a Headwind, along with a Tickr all setup with my iPhone via Zwift companion app. While all three typically work flawlessly at all times (and also on my non-Zwift rides when paired w/ my Element Roam), I have noticed a gnarly bug when using the Wahoo App to adjust the headwind speed manually in ride. Usually all is OK but half of the time I use the app to manually change the fan speed it somehow kills my Kickr connection and it is quite hard to get it back with Zwift.

When this happens, I’m still able to see te kickr in the Wahoo(it tracks RPM and see’s the connection) but something goes wrong with the connection to Zwift and I get the 0 RPM/Power readout until I unplug everything and plug it back in (obviously not fun mid-ride).

Firmware/apps are all up to date.

any tips or help are greatly appreciated !!

I have the exact same scenario. Did you manage to nail the root cause for such?

Cheers

I have this issue too, but on the Kickr Bike. Very frustrating if it happens during a zwift workout. It seems that opening the wahoo app (to adjust headwind) automatically enables the connection to the trainer/bike which overrides zwift.

I’m guessing it happens when using a PC BT connection to the trainer/bike and the phone app uses (and replaces?) the same BT connection?

Might not happen with an ANT+ dongle? I could try that, but frankly wahoo should fix this bug as what’s the point of having a mobile/app controlled fan if you can’t use the controls for fear of killing a workout.

I switched to Bluetooth connection to my laptop (not companion) for my kickr and HRM . Also have headwind on HR instead of manual. It was too annoying and both Wahoo/Zwift seemed to think that was a functionality limitation of bluetooth.

I bought a separate fan that I control manually with a remote, and the headwind being on HR kinda acts like a booster fan for when things get intense!